User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Watching enough videos and you can subconsciously imbibe

Quote Originally Posted by Crazypeetee246
    Interesting! My coach told me the same thing awhile ago (to watch professional videos). Maybe its something subconscious that happens.
    If you watch enough videos of your favorite player, you can subconsciously "channel" that player during your game. Case in point is the basketball player Magic Johnson. When he was battling Larry Bird of the Celtics, he watched enough of Larry Bird's play that he was actually able to become Larry Bird during the Lakers' practice sessions--he said he started making shots he normally would not make, he started playing like Bird.

It's especially useful watching a player who's style is emulatable--of course limited by one's physical capabilities.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

A very important point I forgot to mention is were the subjects randomised appropriately to groups?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung
    A very important point I forgot to mention is were the subjects randomised appropriately to groups?
    They were.

As far as I could tell, the science looked very sound.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by westwood_13
    They were.

As far as I could tell, the science looked very sound.
    Unfortunately, we are still not clear wether there were 3 groups or two. How about the length of time of the study? Frequency of video watching?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't have access to the full text... I only got the abstract, into, summary, and references.

There were three groups... video-watchers, people playing badminton, and people doing nothing (control). The first two showed significant improvement when tested before and after several weeks of 1 hour sessions twice-weekly (as far as I can remember... I'd have to go back to the library to check that). The video-watchers showed improvement int eh areas I outlined, the improvement in the players was not specifically described. The control group, obviously, did not show any significant improvement.

I hope that helped... I wish I could go back and edit my original post, my wording was rather funny. I shall improve for next time!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even if one was missing most nuances of professional badminton, I can speak from experience that it does somehow make me play better. It has mostly to do with motivation for me - seeing such high level badminton being played helps me concentrate during the game and it reminds me from time to time to stay aggressive. Furthermore, it doesn't allow me to get lazy when moving about the court keeping me on my toes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i wouldn't say it has improved my game significantly, as i watch videos mainly for entertainment. however, i, and i'm sure many others, have picked up little points such as footwork, position, placement of the shuttle and other smaller points which the pros do that we wouldn't normally think of unless we have a coach. that has been rather enlightening, though not always executable!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    What about video coaching from experts? This is something else and is far better than watching videos of players or yourselves playing matches.
    the thing about pros video teaching like those ZJH(Zhao JianHua) ones, have one major problem if you are a beginner its not going to help you much since they didnt cover the basics. you can only apply what they taught you after you master the basics, as you can see most of the students in ZJH's instructional videos are not beginners, moreover if you learn from ZJH video you will learn his playing style, if you already have your playing style and its different there might be some problems

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Videos definitely help if u watch them with the intent to learn.
    I look for footwork, deception and ofcourse LD's jumpsmash

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    The participants were assigned to the three groups after their pre-test (so that the high scorers and low scorers of anticipation were staggered across the 3 different groups!)

However, the article suggests nothing about the participants previous level of playing experience which i guess is a flaw in the investigation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very interesting now, i find when i watch a professional match, it helps me, i always play better.

My friend is an average player, i taped the all england champs doubles final and let him watch it, he viewed it before we played at our club nite, he played the best i had ever seen him play up to that point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In coaching course, there's a chapter on imagery. Yes, Imagery is one of the very important part in badminton and any other sports. Can't live without it. If you haven't done it, better prepare a sunglass and watch more videos. Enjoy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO, Watching professionals play is a very effective way of helping my footwork and tactics. It doesn't help me improve my strokes however, but there's always coaching videos by Zhao Jianhua and Xiao Jie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that sounds like it was a pretty good study though would be curious to read the full one if it ever becomes available. I can agree i recorde myself playing whenever i have the chance because i want to fix my technique and see what im screwing up on and i have to say it make a huge difference and also watching the pros play you can pick up on some little things that you can put into your game as well and that it helps can be as simple as footwork or up there with deception. But yes i say watching videos of the pros and is useful and deffinetly watching videos of yourself too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most of us learn to play sports by imitation, watching how other do it, and trying to repeat what they do. If you were coached since the start, you are so lucky. Imitation can only take you so far. At some point, natural abilities and insight need to be replaced by coaching if you want to get better.

I have learned a lot by watching the pro play (thanks to the internet). Simple things like how to serve, where to stand, etc. are easy to pick up and do. But the more advanced skills are tougher. I know what I need to do but just can't execute properly (maybe that has to do with age or just bad habits).

Since I can't execute, so may as well enjoy the match for what it is for, entertainment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its pretty simple. You do what you see and your brain approaches and does what it learns. to put it simple, when u watch the videos, your brain automatically puts it in ur subconcious. When your are playing sum1 and sumthing similar occurs as to what happened in ur video, ur brain has a natural reaction and it causes ur mind to think in a new approach which is the result of new moves. Its hard for me to explain but i tried my best, hope i helped.

Edit: before u watch the video ur brain is as normal as always and is thinking in the same direction everytime. However, when u watch the videos it gives ur brain and subconcious new ideas and a new way of thinking which ur brain and body implies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm glad it helps so much. However I'm worried that if I watch matches vs left handed players, I might get mixed up with the natural shot placement and stuff. x_X

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2