Segmenting Chit-Chat

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback' started by wilfredlgf, Dec 17, 2006.

1. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Thought of this after seeing Jaguar's computer help thread and it got me thinking, perhaps we could segment Chit-Chat into several sections to make it simpler to group threads based on their topic types.

They did this on RAWK and it seemed to work well to help users navigate and find what they want without the need to search, same time help moderators keep track of what is posted where.

I recommend splitting CC into the following:

General Sports (Ashes, NBA, water polo, football, Laureus Sport Awards etc)
    Media & Arts ('My fave music', The Hobbit, 'How hot is Jessica Alba?' etc)
    News & Issues ('Singapore relaxes chewing gum ban', 'Ban takes on UN General Secretary role', 'Toll hike' etc)
    Technology (Ipod issues, 'Help with my computer!', Windows Vista, Photoshop tips, DVDRW etc)
    Everything else (Spooky stories, chicken rice vs char kuetiow, 'My trip to Rome', 'Merry Christmas!' etc)

I realise that the CC section is still not too busy but the number of views at observed during normal hours there hover around 15 - 35 (most times I'm on), meaning it's busier than expected but with less actvity, in which I attribute to the lack of topics or discussion because a user may be (and most likely to be) too lazy to actually read and open threads to check what they are all about with everything lumped into one basket.

2. Tianjin

Tianjin Regular Member

Student
    I do agree this is a good idea, however it shouldn't disturb the ratio of badminton/other. Maybe if CC was left in the lounge, and once you clicked CC, there would be subforums?

3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm, creating more sub-sub-forums??....

..interesting idea, wilfredlgf..:cool:
    ..hmm, i remember Cheung had mentioned and suggested a similar idea of putting pictures of tournaments in 1 special forum/sub-forums(but not many were in favor). I was thinking maybe the mods/kwun can do this also to the other sub-forums(ie. Videos and Tournaments pics etc.), instead of Chit-Chat only..
    A. Videos - mods/kwun maybe can organize all videos to their related tournament(s), rather than all spread out. It'l make it for easier search of specific videos for any tournaments.
    B. Tournaments pics - like Cheung suggested earlier. The current format still shows us which thread has the pics and it's still quite easy to find...but rather than sift and browse thru, people can just go straight to the pics folder to find them..
    others..

Of course all of these depend on how much work kwun thinks is worth it..;)

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    1) i don't see enough traffic in the chit-chat forum to justify a split.
    2) the chit-chat forum should really not be the focus of the forum as it generally do not deal with badminton topics. furthermore, there are billions of "other" topics to be discussed, we cannot possible make a sub-forum for each of them.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: i have no idea how this relate to the original topic of this thread.

6. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Ooooopsie...sorry abt that...

..Pardon me, kwun...:p :eek: didn't really mean to post something totally off-topic.:p .My intent, or at least what i was trying to post was "on the same breadth" to the original topic(which from what i understand was referring to a better organized Chit-Chat sub-forum); but i didn't really want to start a brand new thread...Haiz, should've put "Off-topic" in my post also...:p

#6 ctjcad, Dec 22, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2006
  7. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Aye, but there are templates that can be followed. Most forums I've been have large off-topic sections off the main topic. The reason for the lack of traffic, as mentioned could be down to the fact that it's simply does not encourage discussions - Asian sensibilities et al.

Still, you're the boss.

Edit : Was a lot longer than this but, heck, I'd be accused of rattling sabres.