Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad View Post
    ..this league was first posted in this thread, below, in 2006:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...ad.php?t=39138
    Thanks and I did a search for ABL too before creating the new thread. Maybe one of the mods can merge the two threads.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

any updates? I heard there was a tounament at Manhatton beach club this month than one at SGBC in March. I can not find any dates on there web site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default National Badminton League (formerly American Badminton League)

Hi everyone - this is Donn Gobbie - I started the American Badminton League (ABL) 10 years ago, and the name has now been changed to National Badminton League (NBL) so that we can market in Canada.

There are two components to the NBL: Recreational Leagues and Professional League. The Recreational Leagues start this summer, with mixed leagues for juniors, adults, and seniors. Anyone can organize a league, so if it interests you, please visit the web site at: www.NBLbadminton.com

As for the Professional League, we will begin this year with a one-day event called the NBL Pro Classic and it will be held in the Los Angeles area on Monday, July 6 (right before the US Open).

There will be four teams with at least two men and two women on each team, playing the exciting NBL format on one court. Players who have indicated an interest in playing include Howard Bach, Tony Gunawan, Raju Rai, Bob Malaythong, Andrew Dabeka, Mike Beres, William Milroy, Anna Rice, Charmaine Reid and others.

In 2010, the NBL Pro League will start with at least four teams. We have had interest in pro teams in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, Vancouver, Chicago, Detroit, Toronto, Boston and New York. We may have two conferences (East and West) with the top two teams from each conference competing in the NBL Finals.

For more information on the NBL Pro Classic and NBL Pro League, visit the NBL website at www.NBLbadminton.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ^^Cool..It's finally rolling out..^^

..you guys have finally come up with some teams to start the competition/league.
    Looking fw to the July 6th exhibition in L.A.
    A few other queries:
    -I wonder who will be the sponsor(s)??
    -And do you know where will the event (the one on July 6th) be held at?? OCBC??
    -If the plan goes through for next yr, how many matches will each team play/season?
    It should be interesting to see how the travel and logistics will pan out..Also, I didn't know the Detroit area has quite a bit of interest/following in badminton
    Last edited by ctjcad; 03-31-2009 at 11:35 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default NBL Pro Classic

Badminton Warehouse is one of our sponsors - they are sponsors of the NBL Recreational League and the NBL Professional League.

Everyone who participates in an NBL Recreational League will receive special discounts on rackets and shuttles from Badminton Warehouse.

We will be adding more sponsors this summer.

The venue for the NBL Pro Classic cannot be announced yet, but we will be able to do so very soon. Our first choice is a high school in Orange County.

We will have at least four teams in the NBL Professional League next year - we may have more, but four is a minimum. Each pro team will play every other team in home and away matches. So, with four teams, each team will have three home and three away matches. Of course, if we get more than four teams, there will be more home and away matches for each team.

Prize money will be awarded based on individual results and team results.

Thanks for your interest, hope to see you at the NBL Pro Classic.

For the latest updates on the NBL Pro Classic, the NBL Professional League and the NBL Recreational League, visit: www.NBLbadminton.com

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

why mess with the serving rule and why mess with the scoring system? why goes to 17 points instead of the international standard of 21 points?

this will be very frustrating for the spectators as well as the players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My school teams (Purdue university) played in the recreational league NBL like last month in gary, Indiana. To be honest, most of the player doesn't like the rules of playing till 18 or 17 and then allowing substitution or allowing moxed double winner to play more. I won't go into details here. Anyway, most of us is from south east Asia or China, we're not Tennis and I don't think tennis format can be used in badminton. Double players are trained differently with single players in badminton. If we can just stick to the sudirman cup or Thomas/Uber cup style, it's more fun for us than the new format that you offer. That's just some idea from me =).

Thanks

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

yeah. i agree. why American need to always take other people's game and then f*** with it and make it their own?

just take the game format as it is, badminton as it currently stand is already a great game. screwing around with it doesn't make it any better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgobbie View Post
    Thanks for your interest, hope to see you at the NBL Pro Classic.

For the latest updates on the NBL Pro Classic, the NBL Professional League and the NBL Recreational League, visit: www.NBLbadminton.com
    i highly suggest u rename them as MML Cartoon Classic, MML Disney league and the MM Recreational League, where MM stands for Mickey Mouse. It is considered a fraud to represent badminton when the badminton rules aren't followed.

It is comical to see the americans depise chinses fake goods but yet
    americans invented fake crab meat, fake lobster meat, fake breast, many type of artifical flavors, and now fake badminton.
    Last edited by cooler; 05-21-2009 at 02:11 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope the organizers are listening. If the participants are dissatisfied, there'll be no future in these leagues. Why mess around with the scoring format when a perfectly good one is available. You don't see tennis leagues play to 4 points per set. I know there may be logistical and/or time constraints but c'mon... Like cooler said, makes it feel Mickey Mouse

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default *gasp*..

Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    yeah. i agree. why American need to always take other people's game and then f*** with it and make it their own?

just take the game format as it is, badminton as it currently stand is already a great game. screwing around with it doesn't make it any better.
    *gasp*...master kwun, you sound very upset!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just read through the 4-17 scoring format. What the heck is that? Whoever would come up with such silly idea? It is so confusing just reading it. Beside confusing the players, how do you expect the paying fans to follow the game?

BTW, Mr. Donn Gobbie hasn't come back in 7 weeks. Maybe he is not listening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thank uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found the mixed tie breaker confused. Does NBL allow the same mixed pair to play all mixed games? If not, what if they win all mixed games and do not have enough players to play rest and lost the whole match? If allow the same mixed pair to play all mixed games, then a team only needs one good pair to win the whole thing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3