SportChek stringing

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by kingkong, Dec 18, 2002.

1. kingkong

kingkong New Member

i just got back my isometric 200 at sportchek. i had given them yonex bg 70pro to string. instead of having the string i had given them, they had switch it with bg65 strings. now i have to bring it to another place to re-string and get the receipt to have them reimburse me. anyone have a place in Edmonton that knows what they are doing. also, sportchek don't know how to string either.

2. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    umm.. sorry for your loss..
    we can't emphasize this enough..
    Don't ever bring your racquet to ANY large sports store, ie Sportschek, National Sports, what have you.. its common knowledge.. nobody ever does it.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yeah. i agree. those places hires sales who don't know what they are saying and doing. the people in specialized shops are "usually" more knowledgeable.

and besides, stringing is process that takes skills, not everybody can string well, the chance that the stringer at sportscheck knows what he is doing is pretty slim.

4. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    a stringing perhaps for tennis, but badminton is way better than tennis and the equipment is much more intricate...

5. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Ah, another unfortunate victim of the incompetance of Sportchek!! In Edmonton, the only decent stringer is Rob from Sweetspot . He strings Bg-65 at $27 and 70-Pro at $29. But since you already have strings, his labour cost is $14. Good luck.

6. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Re: beware of sportchek (Edmonton)

What probably happened is that they broke the string that you gave them. Hence, the replaced string BUT they should have replaced it with the same model string. Did you raise your concern with them when you pick up your racquet?

Anyhow, tough luck. It is true that at the big stores that you might end up getting someone who has never strung a badminton racquet before.

7. kingkong

kingkong New Member

i did raise the concern with the tech. he asked me how did i know it was the wrong one because it was the same color. i told him to read the imprint right on the string.
    after i was reimburse for the labor cost, i asked the cashier for a pair of scissors and cut the strings right off because it was strung wrong anyway. guess that is what you get at the big chain stores.

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    What a joke saying "same color anyway". Why don't they strung cyber natural 100 or BG88Ti then...

hehehehhehehe...

9. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    Sportscheck stringing

Well I live in mississauga so I'm around 40-60 mins away from Yo's. I thought i should replace my string before the tournament so I call up Yo's and they tell me that sameday stringing is impossible. My parents don't really want to schedule two days for a restringing. When I went to Sportscheck today to purchase a tube of shuttlecocks, I asked them if they have stringing services. They said yes specifically to badminton. However, all their strings were for squash and tennis. Do you think it would be wise to buy strings from Yo's and ask Spotscheck to string it for me? I'm a little afraid because Yo's has a reputation for being a great stringer but Sportcheck is irreputable.

Thank You for your replies^^:D

10. RaymondLin

RaymondLin Regular Member

Student/Badminton Player
    Ya me too I also want to know!
    I asked sport check if they have strining for badminton and they said yes but I am scared how good they are at stringning
    Conclusion: I haven't tried it yet:p lol

11. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Manduki,

Just say NO:D. Seriously, don't go to sporting retail chains for specialty service if you value your racquet. One should pay premium for quality. Re-stringing is one area of the sport where one should trust experience and reputation. You may be able to cut corners with SportChek but I suspect that it'll cost you more later. Especially if they break your racquet while stringing;).

12. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    do NOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTT ever goto sportchek for re-stringing.

Someone broke her racquet from sporchek. And really, sporchek is not specialized in badminton so there would be a limit to the stringer's skill.

13. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

Dont go to sportchek for anything related to badminton. I bought my first racquet there for 30$ and saw it at another place for 10$

14. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    Depends on what racquet you want to get restringed? Lol.

15. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

Every sportchek I've called has told me that, YES! they do string badminton racquets! BUt every sportchek stringer I've talked to specifically told me that they do not string badminton racquets because they don't have the equipment for it. And that includes sportchek stores that actually sell badminton string.

If you want same-day service, go over to Winning Cycle and Sport. The guy there seems to be a good stringer, or at least he's a nice guy. His rates are a few bucks more than Lees or Yos though. If you don't want to go that far, you can head over to Brown's Cycle and Sports. It's a lot closer to you and they offer same day stringing as well. But their rates are the highest while their badminton-stringing knowledge is the lowest. Still better than sportchek.

16. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I agree. Some local club players went to those big chain stores for re-string, and everyone ended up with a bad taste in their mouth. The "lucky" ones got a racket loaded with loose fishline like string, even though it's claimed to be 20+lbs (maybe they don't have the correct clamps). The poor ones ended up with a broke racket. :(

17. cards_pro

cards_pro Regular Member

Try the National Sport on Eglinton / Winston Churchill. I know they are selling badminton string. But I don't know if they do stringing or not!

18. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    Eek, National sport doesn't know how to put proper pricing on their strings. And they have a limited variation on strings.

19. cheung31

cheung31 Regular Member

well i have had an experience at sportchek years ago. my dad had a really old yonex that is pretty damn nice actually. one day he decided to go string, and what more convenience than sportchek.

so i remember my dad asking the guy if they string badminton rackets, and he nodded his head. the finshed product was actually pretty decent and i was impressed. the stringing was done at 22lbs, and it sure felt like that. maybe my sportchek was a lucky one. but i will never risk getting my new rackets strung there.

20. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i personally had restring alotta rackets for people who had it restrung from sportchek