Embarrassing question...

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Tianjin, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Tianjin

Tianjin Regular Member

Student
    I have a certain problem right now and people have been telling me this. Any overhead shot that I do is always a straight shot? The thing is, I don't really understand how I am supposed to do a cross-court type of overhead. Is it exactly the same ''presenting a flat headframe'' and adding an angle? Isn't that a slice then? I mean if I want a solid contact crosscourt smash, then the whole motion of the armswing should be different or am I wrong? Im trying to be as deceptive as possible, and the result is me barely getting any angles. Could someone explain to me?:eek:

2. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    maybe you should try to do crosscourts first then try to be deceptive

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

There are basically three ways that you can hit a crosscourt overhead:

1. Angle your body crosscourt.
    2. Angle your body straight but make your arm swing go crosscourt
    3. Angle both your body and arm swing straight, but use slice to make the shuttle go crosscourt.
    Each of these methods can be useful in different circumstances.

Method (1) is often best for crosscourt power smashes, because your whole body is angled towards where you are smashing, so you can create more power in that direction. This might seem undeceptive, but your opponent can't be sure that you will hit a crosscourt shot when your body is pointing crosscourt: you might slice it instead, and hit a straight shot (reversing "the usual" deception).

Method (2) is probably the best method for crosscourt clears. Again, this method might seem undeceptive, but if you reverse the deception (as before), it can produce some of the most deceptive dropshots. You can make an exaggerated crosscourt arm swing and then use reverse slice to make the shuttle go straight.

Both methods (1) and (2) involve hitting the shuttle with the racket face pointing in the direction of the shot (a "flat" racket face).

Method (3) is probably the best method for dropshots. Slicing takes power off the stroke and changes the direction, so you can use slice to make your opponent think that a straight smash is coming, when in fact you are playing a crosscourt dropshot.

You can also slice your smashes, but this is not effective if you want a powerful smash. Sliced smashes are useful in their own right, but they will never be as fast as unsliced smashes (it's simple mechanics).

Slicing your clears is technically possible but rather pointless. In my view, it's much better to use method (2) for crosscourt clears. If you slice your clears, you are likely to lose acccuracy on length -- and hitting a good length is essential.

4. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

make a line between your racket and where you want the bird to go. Follow that line with your racket as you contact the bird and it will go that way. As you get better you will be able to snap your wrist more generating more power. Basically you can either have perfect technique and do it effortlessly or good technique but more power needed to get the job done. Technique is all timing and kinetic linking on overhead shots.

5. Tianjin

Tianjin Regular Member

Student
    Thanks, my questions have been answered once again without fail!