break string again and again

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Brady, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Brady

Brady Regular Member

I broke my string tonight. a mis-hit. third or fouth main near the top. two weeks ago, I broke it right top near the frame.

I know that I may hit missing the sweet point a lot. In this situation, any suggestions?

I play double. Apacs AP 800, Ashaway MP XL , 23-25. I played badminton for many years but still around recreation to intermediate level. (the skill could be described as " play around 23-24 ok and comfortable"). I never image that re-string would be a big expense for me. But it happened.

Any suggestions are welcome. Change strings? lower the tension? Or, there is only one way out...............improve my skills?

Btw: one of my friends restrung for me (so, not charge me a lot, definitely lower than common market price). He rans a business and is distributor of YY.

2. Viper2005

Viper2005 Regular Member

Play Badminton Everyday!
    Buy a string machine and learn how to string your own rackets.:)

And a few lessons could help improve your accuracy.

3. Brady

Brady Regular Member

good suggestions. I got your idea, more money or more skills. :)

It's hard for me to buy a string machine. Lower tension may cause uncomfortable playing. Changing a string, I bought a coil powerGut 65 (on the way somewhere between US and canada), but am afraid that they are less durable even than MPXL.

practice? looking back my previous years' progress.........................

4. Lobber

Lobber Regular Member

im using 25lbs main on my apacs armourpower 800.There nothing wrong at the moment. 2months and still hanging on there except some loss of tension.
    So,i guess it could be something wrong with your racket.
    Check if the gommet are in good condition.

5. Brady

Brady Regular Member

Hi, lobber,

what's your string? I used 65-ti at 22x24lbs. that's fine. It lasts more than 2 month and I cut it. Actually, I am wondering it's the string or just because I add 1 more pound?

I made a lot of progress in these several months. I can smash more powerful and better clearing. But I do not believe I improved so much that I can break a string in 2 weeks. In our club, there are plenty of players playing better than me. they did not break so fast as I am recently. Actually, when I broke it this time, they are so surprised. Especially the stringer, he even doublt his skills. :)

Maybe you are right. I should ask him to check my racket. BTW, he took my racket immediately and promised he will restring it using 65-ti and challenge me to break it in a month. We will see....

6. modious

modious Regular Member

Well if you mis-hit alot, it's no surprise your strings will break easily. So spend more time improving your accuracy in hitting the sweet spot and don't slice too much. Also rem to check the grommets as Lobber has mentioned. Worn out grommets can cut the strings.

One of my friend mis-hits alot and on average he breaks 2 racket strings per week!

7. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Check if the grommets on teh racket are good, if not that also could be an underlying problem.

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    There are several things you might want to double check:

1. Gromments (especially the ones that you usually snaps the string).

2. String condition: don't store the string/strung rackets in harsh environmental condition (too hot, too dry, too cold, etc).

3. Try not to leave anything with sharp edge right next tothe racket, when you put it back into the bag.

4. If you recently switched a stringer, let him double check his machine/accessories, especially string gripper and clamps.

9. Brady

Brady Regular Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. I bought a coil of Powergut 65 (power orange, if you are interested in, heard it is durable than MP). I will try this one. Also, my friend stringer offered me a free bg85 to try. See me break it!

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    With my limited experience with PG65, it indeed more durable than BG80, but gives similar performance when it's freshly strung. ;)

11. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

if you're snapping the mp xl so regularly, i doubt the bg 85 will last very long ...

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Strings will break more easily if you regularly hit the shuttle near the periphery of the string be.

13. Brady

Brady Regular Member

My friend replaced around 20 gromments and strung it.

My friend followed your advises. He checked his tools and gromments. There are tiny cracks of the gromments. Since the racket is partly gray, it's very hard to notice them (some reflex of light disclosed them). My friend just replaced every one he doubt. :)

thanks for you all for the advises. Thanks.

14. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Low tensions seldom break even if you mishit. High tensions will break easily if you mishit. When a shuttle strikes a stringbed on spots that are bounded by plenty of mains and cross strings, the most powerful smash will not break even a thin 0.66 mm string strung to a very high tension. There are just too many strings to spread the load and stress and these "team of strings" will then send the shuttle away at great speed. Your racquet stores minimal energy because the bird has flown. A mishit, like a power shot on the top of the frame, will have no one but perhaps one or two main strings to take the load. This coupled with the fact that the top of the frame is the worse location for "bounce", meaning that all your smash power has no where to go but to kaput the string at the top. Your racquet will now experience a "knockout punch" because they is no one to knock out instead. With very low tension you may get away with it. With high tension it is almost always kaput.
    To avoid this, don't mishit, or use very thick strings, or string at low tension.

15. sweetums59

sweetums59 Regular Member

Cad Draftsman
    Hi Brady, i may be late in replying. i am a player like you. i smash hard as well but I think the tension or the way you hit the shuttle could play an important angle. If you play plastic shuttle and hit the end side it may cut your string. i do re-stringing myself and most of my clients are happy what a difference the right tension is. i use Yonex BG65 and tension it at 20 lbs. I, myself use BG65 at 20 lbs and i love it. My smashing has improved. By the way, my name is keng and i live in Brampton, Ontario. I would recommend using Yonex BG65 at 20 lbs.