Playing badminton whilst travelling

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by SteveO, Dec 21, 2006.

1. SteveO

SteveO New Member

I'm going to be travelling for a year, starting in August 2007. The aim is to get all the way round the world, starting in Canada, through central America, across the Pacific and ending (somewhere) in Asia but at the moment, we have no firm ideas about where we are going. The plan is to be in Asia for several months.

My girlfriend and I are both keen badminton players of reasonable standard and we're both keen to keep playing where ever possible.

Can anybody recommend places to visit where badminton is popular and available to play where you might not think so? I'm guessing that it's not so popular in central America or the Pacific?

Also, we would like, if possible, to stay on a few residential badminton courses in one of the country's where badminton is popular. I'm guessing that somewhere like Malaysia or Indonesia is our best option, but I'm pretty open any suggestions.

Any advice would be very appreciated.

Steve

2. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    Well, I can't really help you out much with this.

But in Canada you shouldn't have any problems finding places to play, although you may have to pay a few guest fees.

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    What a nice trip with all the travel and badminton. :) For Canada, I think Vancouver is a must, and for US, Bay Area should be on the top. ;)

4. chrishin

chrishin Regular Member

i'd say post in where to play forum.
    It would be your best place to find where to play.

5. Jean-Carlo

Jean-Carlo Regular Member

U could stop in a island in the Caribbean :) called Curacao
    it's a really small island if u look at it on the world map its just a small dot in the ocean
    but it does have 2 badminton stadiums :)

#5 Jean-Carlo, Dec 22, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2006
  6. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Place a rough guide of your itinery and I'm sure members in the respective locations will not hesitate to point you in the direction of a badminton court XD

7. SteveO

SteveO New Member

Thanks for the advice so far.

I'm not really looking for specific places to play (i.e. like an exact venue), maybe more at the scale of a country or region. I'm pretty sure when we arrive in a place, we'll be able to re-post with specific requests or just ask around.

The trip to Curacao sounds interesting, as we have relatives in Bequia (near St Vincent).

I guess that it would help you to help me if I was more specific with the route. At the moment the plan is Canada-Central America-California-Fiji-Solomon Islands-New Zealand-Australia-Malaysia-Singapore-Thailand-Loas-Vietnam-Nepal and India. But, like I said, we'd be willing to change this if we're missing somewhere where the game was popular and close to this route. The purpose of the trip is to find out more about the world in general, playing badminton along the way is a bonus, learning new tactics/tecniques etc. as we go.

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    You got what we call "the dream life". :D Best wish for your trip, and looking forward to read your trip reports. :)

9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm...

..SteveO, hope that's going to be during the World Championships next yr.;) I heard there will be quite a group of BC/BFers going to M'sia and possibly convene for a get-together as well..;) :cool: ..Anyways, best wishes for your upcoming trip & journey..:cool:
    *Yes, IMO, you should visit Indonesia, M'sia & CHINA. Those are definite must!;):):cool:

#9 ctjcad, Dec 22, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2006
  10. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

agreed, you should definitely visit the 5 traditional powerhouses of badminton ... CHN, INA, MAS, KOR and DEN.

11. SteveO

SteveO New Member

This sounds like something well worth getting to.

Thanks for the information. I would like to have gone to the Olympics in China too but I think we'll have been away for more than a year when it starts and I've got to be back at work :crying: