Training reaction speed

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Roman00, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Roman00

Roman00 Regular Member

had anyone thought of anyway that could increase the speed of your reaction against a drop shot/ fast shots?

I Play FFR/DDR hopefully that will help the reaction speed of my eyes

2. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    Badminton ways? Multi-shuttle. Especially with having you near to the middle and the feeder throwing at a downward angle towards both corners.

Non-badminton ways? Improve your overall footspeed, as the reaction will come from playing experience. So you can do plyometrics, fast-feet drills, quick-burst action shadow footwork, etc.

3. Tianjin

Tianjin Regular Member

Student
    I never got the DDR thing lol???

I guess other options are hitting a pingpong ball or shuttle on the wall. PG says it helped him, might as well try it out as well =)

4. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    DDR is it the dancing arcade game where you need to pay lots of attention if you want to make the level?

5. Tianjin

Tianjin Regular Member

Student
    Yeah. Theres also a computer game version called flash flash revolution where u can click arrows according to the ones zipping past your screen.

I doubt they really increase your reaction time.

I think you should just play badminton and not worry about it. The more you play, the more accustomed your body is to reacting to different shots and your muscle memory will help your reactions.

6. XtC-604

XtC-604 Regular Member

Store Manager
    actually reaction speed comes easily trained, just do alot of smashing drills, eg you lift and get someone to smash at you, if the person has a weaker smash stand closer to the net, if the person has a stronger smash, stand where you feel relatively safe, and in no time you'll have good reflexes.

for some people however to block a smash, you need to see the shuttle at a certain point, eg before the net to block it for me. if i see the shuttle before the net, i don't even have to follow the bird with my eyes after it crosses my body just zips there

7. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    play with ur mates with speed n power..simultaneously u'll get used to it..it's about reflexes rite?

8. Roman00

Roman00 Regular Member

thanks for all the responces guys.. i have played with my friends and i've finally able to see/ block his shots when he smashes.. i have a new problem though now... should i hold my other hand up? (not holding raquet) because whenever i do, its easier to hit it, and its a goes in a really good angel. but i cant focus my strength into it. as for not holding my hand up and hitting, i have an increase in power but not a increse in angel? so. should i practice angling or power? thx for all the replies yo.

9. midknightblue

midknightblue Regular Member

High School Student
    holding your other hand up shouldn't decrease your energy.. IMO. it's to help balance and turn your body during high powered shots. It might be your form or technique that's the problem, but I might be wrong. As for the angle or power question, it really depends on what level you play, but the extra angle might be a lot more useful. (unless that extra power is like, the difference between hitting to half court and hitting to the baseline)