User Tag List

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default A bit off topic-Sorry to jump in..

Quote Originally Posted by Oldhand
    Out of curiosity, allow me to ask you this:
    If all the greats you've seen were to be playing the circuit today, who would have been the giant among them? Would Hartono beat Taufik? Would Yang overpower Lin Dan? Would Delfs trounce Gade? How would you rate the skill levels of the greats on an equal footing?
    Oldhand, if you don't mind me answering..
    Well, IMO, as i've posted before it'll be hard to "judge" who would be "better" or who'll be "the giant" among all.
    To judge LinDan/Taufik to Rudy Hartono/YangYang or even Tangxinhu, Hou, IMO, it's almost incomparable. Just from a purely different eras between those players, is hard enough for us to make that comparison(s).
    To put it simply : different generation of players(and their accomplishments) from different eras deserve their own merit(s), respectively from each other(let alone us fans)..
    Last edited by ctjcad; 12-31-2006 at 02:38 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Happy New Year!

I thought this thread was about SuperDan (DinkAlot) , SuperDink.
    Just thought of this last night.
    SuperDink, able to break a shaft with a single swing, pop a string with a single drop, crush a bird with a single smash, it's a bird...no, it's SuperDan.....

Happy New Year!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Viper2005
    I thought this thread was about SuperDan (DinkAlot) , SuperDink.
    Just thought of this last night.
    SuperDink, able to break a shaft with a single swing, pop a string with a single drop, crush a bird with a single smash, it's a bird...no, it's SuperDan.....

Happy New Year!
    LOL, yes this thread is about superdan indeed. No way TH can do any of those feats

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good summary Oldhand. You should visit BF more often
    Neither LD or TH can be considered the greatest or legendary status at the time being. LD had been excellent for the past 1.5-2 years while TH was brilliant spottily.

For the TH fans out there, I had never stated that TH isn't an excellent player nor did i wrote that LD is the best or greatest player. What I have been doing was only to 'cool' down your delirious chanting for taufik.
    Last edited by cooler; 12-31-2006 at 04:04 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Taneepak, Where Are You?

Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad
    Oldhand, if you don't mind me answering..
    Well, IMO, as i've posted before it'll be hard to "judge" who would be "better" or who'll be "the giant" among all.
    To judge LinDan/Taufik to Rudy Hartono/YangYang or even Tangxinhu, Hou, IMO, it's almost incomparable. Just from a purely different eras between those players, is hard enough for us to make that comparison(s).
    To put it simply : different generation of players(and their accomplishments) from different eras deserve their own merit(s), respectively from each other(let alone us fans)..
    You're definitely spot on, ctjcad!
    Nevertheless, as someone who has seen all of them in action, Taneepak's reply should make for an interesting read.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Wink lol

Quote Originally Posted by cooler
    Good summary Oldhand. You should visit BF more often
    Thanks Cooler.

For the TH fans out there... What I have been doing was only to 'cool' down your delirious chanting for taufik.
    And I see that you're stoking the fire again.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no doubt that Rudy Hartono was perhaps the greatest badminton player of all time. I first time I saw him play was when he was just 16 or 17 and it was obvious to everyone that they were seeing the emergence of a truly great player. The gap between Rudy and the others was so huge that it was a wonder he kept on playing for so long. Time and again I saw him humiliate Malaysia's Tan Aik Hung and Yew Chen Hoe. Rudy was in a word majestic and he moved like a Greek god.
    I saw Taufik play when he was first played outside Indonesia. He was very impressive, and I remember Peter Gade, equally impressed, expressed a desire to play Taufik-they have since met many times on the court. But Taufik is no Hartono. The majesty, grace, and the huge gap that Hartono had over all his opponents-all these Taufik does not have.
    Another player that I would rate very highly was Zhao Jianhua, perhaps the most exciting, and also very deceptive, player I have seen of the modern players. I would rate him higher than Yang Yang.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Keep the fires going!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldhand
    Thanks Cooler.

And I see that you're stoking the fire again.
    Thanks for coming in, Oldhand. Have a lot to learn from you. But it seems you need your opposite number,Taneepak. Hope you both maintain the exchange.
    I like Cooler even though we're at opposite ends ,opinionwise. My posts (used to) rattle him enough so he's learned to cool down but thankfully he still has a lot of passion for BCF.
    It's important, esp. for our teenagers, that we have a spectrum of opinions so that the minds are broadened instead of narrowed.
    And yes, Cooler , keep stoking the fires!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If u read my whole example, gambler 'B' has the best track record and highest earnings than the long shot gambler 'A'. I guess this is not a thread for me to discuss about gambling theory.
    I know what you mean, just to make fun of gambling....LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pjswift
    And yes, Cooler , keep stoking the fires!
    I think you are giving the Mods the chills

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Yep

Hartono at 16 !!!
    Taneepak, you've sure come a long way.
    And thanks a ton for the insight.

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    I have no doubt that Rudy Hartono was perhaps the greatest badminton player of all time....
    Taufik is no Hartono.... The majesty, grace, and the huge gap that Hartono had over all his opponents - all these Taufik does not have.
    Ah, this is gonna make Cooler a very happy guy.

Another player that I would rate very highly was Zhao Jianhua, perhaps the most exciting, and also very deceptive, player I have seen of the modern players. I would rate him higher than Yang Yang.
    I agree wholeheartedly.
    Those who missed downloading the CCTV coaching tips featuring Zhao can see Segments 1, 3 and 9 on YouTube. It's not something to be missed .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Totally disagree with your "fame comes with consistency" theory... I think Zhao Jianhua is a big counter-example...

Quote Originally Posted by X Ball
    LD is the most consistent winner in the badminton circuit. TH, LCW, PG and LHI are the occasional winners when LD feels the 'heat'.

To be a real champion, one has to win frequently like LD. LD will be remembered like Rudy Hartono, Alan Kopp, Eddie Choong, and others. I doubt TH or LCW will be remembered in the same vain unless they score consistently like LD.

Fame comes with consistency !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In fact, a super fit CH can beat LD easily. Just take a look at the 2nd and 3rd games of 2005 AE MSF. LD had no chance against CH's powerful attack.

But CH is old. So I doubt he will be anywhere close to "super fit" again.

Quote Originally Posted by pjswift
    Agree.TH is clearly the BETTER PLAYER since he can defeat LD even when not fully fit. The times when LD defeated TH are those when TH was not fully recovered from his injury or still adjusting to full time work.That's when LD PLAYED BETTER. LD will not be able to beat a fully fit TH.
    In fact LD will have his consistency tested in 2007 provided all the top players are injury-free.I wouldn't even bet OG08 on him.
    I question the consistency criterion. Anyone who's done research on LD's titles can deduce that they are mostly Team CHN 's titles. LD's just the little general anointed to collect the awards.And what's consistency if he has consistently lost the big ones when some big part timer like TH came to spoil the party?That's what 's most unsettling about LD's consistency.
    What I 'd like to see is how LYB will deal with his cards next year. Let's say LD has to play CH for the match vs TH. LD fears TH while CH has no fear. A super fit CH can defeat TH. Who would he choose?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ye333
    Totally disagree with your "fame comes with consistency" theory... I think Zhao Jianhua is a big counter-example...
    I agree with ye333 on this, ZJH is mentioned far more times than for example Yang Yang on this forum with great admiration. Most people say "YY, yeah great player, ZJH, wow one of the best"

Rudy Had the best of both worlds, many tournament victories and sublime talent and flair. Generally it is the flair that people remember-ZJH athletic ability, Rudys' stroke play and mental strength, Prakash's deception.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jamesd20
    I agree with ye333 on this, ZJH is mentioned far more times than for example Yang Yang on this forum with great admiration. Most people say "YY, yeah great player, ZJH, wow one of the best"

Rudy Had the best of both worlds, many tournament victories and sublime talent and flair. Generally it is the flair that people remember-ZJH athletic ability, Rudys' stroke play and mental strength, Prakash's deception.
    But i have explanation for ZJH's inconsistency. Let see if TH can play this well with 1/3 less lung capacity.

The body can only take a certain amount of training. More does not mean better! The law of diminishing returns then kicks in. Recently, I had as a patient a very famous China player. He had been very talented, with good height, reach, good strokes and so on and had even won the All-England mens singles championship. Then, at the height of his career, I read that he had to lay off because of pneumonia, and had to rest. And now, I had him, here in Singapore where he had come to work, under my care. My tests and chest X-rays revealed he had an old healed pneumonia which was complicated. It revealed a poorly-treated infection which had led to pus formation in the pleural cavity (empyema). This in turn led to the lower third of the affected lung being encased in scar and fibrous tissue, thus limiting expansion and exchange of oxygen. I was in no doubt that he had been under great pressure to do well in the Thomas Cup and All-England tournament at that time. He just did not have enough rest! Although he could still play very well, his lasting power would not be the same, and he has not played in high level matches since then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The great words

I have seen almost all the top badminton players from the 1958s to the present. I have never seen Hendri Saputra play. There are also many other promising players that never made it big, so Hendri is not the only one down with luck.
    This is the matured answer that noted indirectly he is the long-experienced badminton spectator (and, the long-experienced player as well, I believed).

Taneepak, my regards for you.

TH-fans and LD-fans, badminton is just a game that should make us joyfull. No doubt both TH and LD are the best player in their era. The most important thing is they providing us a good example and an entertaining game as well as the other player.

Lets enjoy the game .....and, please do not enjoy the feud.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ye333
    In fact, a super fit CH can beat LD easily. Just take a look at the 2nd and 3rd games of 2005 AE MSF. LD had no chance against CH's powerful attack.

But CH is old. So I doubt he will be anywhere close to "super fit" again.
    Depends on his motivation. I'm not a CH fan but I believe he can still be superfit enough to win at least one good tournament (if he does not have to give way to LD) , maximum three for 2007.It just means he has to work super hard. Thought he was terrific in WC06 (probably cheated by the coach here) and CO06. However ,if you know that most of the time,you're going to be just the spoiler, why work your heart out? Unless there's a chance to lift the title?If CH 's not there for LD, LD will be in trouble.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast