Sotx or another MP99

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by kikks9, Dec 23, 2006.

1. kikks9

kikks9 Regular Member

Hi BC,

I am going to HK and am considering a spare racquet. I currently use a 3ug4 MP99. I play twice a week, mainly doubles but I always try to squeeze in a few game of singles. I would say that I am an all court player, dont really go for the smashes all the time. I like to play a thinking game, or atleast I try eheheh. I am quite happy with my mp99, but if i get another one my next one will be a g5. Like what everybody said, it took some time getting used to the mp99.

I have a feeling that I will be getting another mp99 but I am considering a SOTX. What I am looking for in the SOTX would be a racquet which is stiff, probably even balanced or slightly head heavy (like the mp99) not too much (I have a Pro Ace Thunderbolt 2 and I dont like it because the head is too heavy for me).

Would a Woven 8/9/10 or a D900 be suitable? I will be testing it at the store in HK but I am just looking for some recommendations and cosidering my options :)

Thanks !!!

2. jerby

jerby Regular Member

they only racket that comes close to an mp99, is an mp99;):D

though here's a breakdown of stats:

-the woven 8/9 are probably a bit less stiff than an mp99. the w10 might be a bit stiffer, the D900 is the most flexy one (of the Sotx's)
    -the woven 8 is 5mm shorter than an mp99, so (massive generalisation) it's a bti mroe manoevrable but a bit less powerfull..
    -the w9 is just as long, but ~4 grams lighter (4U), and head-heavy (though compared to a 3U still not very heavy)..actually: the 8 feels lighter than the 9, to me..
    -the w10 is 5mm lonegr than the mp99, and head-heavy (wich makes it feel pretty head-heavy) and it's (generally) mroe powerfull, btu elss maoevrable
    -I don't have any major comments on the D900 yet, since I still have to wait a week or more...

-Though, If you have the money (I don't know how expensive sotx's are in Aussie-land...here it's 130 euro's..) I think a woven 13 is what you're looking for:
    -it's stiff, a bit head-heavy (less head-heavy than the woven 10/9), 89grams, and just as long as the mp99....

a little help: http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34889

I hope the long post didn't scare you:p

-Sotx Jerry

3. Slacker

Slacker Regular Member

Baddy Fanatic/Addict FULL-TIME!!!
    Hi kikks9, i am also a user of Mp99, but mine is 3UG5. :D However, if u are considering a SOTX racket somewhat similar to Mp99.. i guess the closest to a Mp99 will be a Woven 8 or 12. Both are even to slightly head-heavy balance.. In fact.. my Woven 12LE is almost the same balance as my Mp99...considering the same grips and strings used. :p

D900 feels abit more head-heavier comparatively..but not so to the extent i wld say its a head-heavy racket like AT800 or AT700. :p So as u said..its best u tried it out at the store before buying. :)

Oh ya.. both the Wovens and D900 are abit more flexible than the extra stiff Mp99.

However..SOTX rackets do have a distinct feel and stability when making shots.. its just totally different feel from what u wld expect from Yonex rackets... so cannot really say any rackets dat wld feel almost totally the same as a Mp99.

#3 Slacker, Dec 23, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2006
  4. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    I played a bit with a friends mp99 a while ago and I have to say that it feels nothing like the woven 8, which he also agreed with when we switched rackets. The power and feel is just generated completely different, from our short discussion we came to the conclusion that the woven 8's power comes the snap much moreso then the mp99. From all the rackets that I try and mess around with, I can't think of anything that is really close to the mp99.

5. kikks9

kikks9 Regular Member

Thanks for all the advise and guidance !!! :) I will definitely take everything said in to consideration when I reach HK. Hrrmmm Woven 8/9/12/13... will give that a look in HK ehehe or .........another mp99 AHHAAHAH it goes on.....