Components of the drive

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Tianjin, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Tianjin

Tianjin Regular Member

Student
    There is something I would like to learn, and learn properly. That is drives.

Ever seen those doubles players warm up their drives before a game? Im mostly interested in the ones performed by the net player in the front.

Simply put, I don't know the technique behind it. I know some drives are done with the backhand, some others look somewhat like an overhead forehand, like giving a high five.

First of all what grip is used?
    Right now, Im leaning towards a universal grip choked towards the cone. Therefore I can switch forehand and backhand without having issues switching grip. Is panhandle ever used in drives, or is it just for net taps?

Second, is there supination/pronation, or do you keep your racket face flat along the whole stroke and only use finger power?

Im finding it hard to ask questions because honestly im very confused. If anyone could take their time to try to explain to me, that would be great.

2. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    The basic essential drive grip is the panhandle grip (on the forehand). You hold the racquet like, well, a pan, but there are various extremes of it. Personally, my drive grip is very similar to my general grip, but whatever is most comfortable is best. On the forehand, there may be some pronation but it isn't necessary. You are basically using finger power and the snap of the wrist back and forth to quickly push the stroke.

Forehands should be hit wherever possible, but when you need to backhand, most people go with an extreme thumb-up type grip and simply push through the stroke straight.

I hope this helped somewhat... I really, really need to get on making those animated .gifs of strokes that I promised I would!

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

You need to distinguish between drives where the shuttle is in front of you, and drives where it is more to the side of your body.

When the shuttle is to the side of your body, you need the basic grip ("forehand" grip). This is the same for forehands and backhands. You will need to use pronation/supination for these drives, although it is best kept short and snappy -- don't make a big swing.

When the shuttle is in front of you, you are playing a half-court drive or a net drive. Here, you are closer to the net, so you don't need as much power. From the net, you can play the drive with little or no arm rotation, using grip tightening alone to provide the power. From farther back, you will probably need to use some arm rotation. These drives generally use the panhandle grip (forehands) or the thumb grip (backhands), although you may often compromise your grip between a full panhandle (or thumb) and the basic ("forehand") grip. For example, a full panhandle makes arm rotation ineffective, so you might ease off the panhandle in order to recruit some arm rotation for the power.

You will need to adjust your exact choice of technique to what you are capable of using. If you have excellent finger power (power from grip tightening), then you can use a shorter action. This is something to strive for -- Lee Jae Bok can play all his half-court drives with finger power alone -- but bear in mind even professional players normally use a small amount of arm rotation for all their drives. You can shoot yourself in the foot if you try to be too idealistic about finger power! Nonetheless, developing your finger power is very helpful (you will get more power on all shots).

4. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Best way to learn about drive is still to practice it and use it often. Warm up with driving rally before every game and soon you'll be able to vary power and angle with your drive shots. Thumb and index finger is the key to changing the direction of the racquet face.

One drill that works great is the one where you defend against your partner's net kills/drives while you're standing around the midcourt area. Have him vary his shots so that you have to move fast to return it flat or close to the net. This drill will also improve your defense and reflex.

5. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

A major component of the drive is the knees. If you know how to bend your knees, you would already have half of what you need for driving. The rest is a piece of pan cake.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
  7. Tianjin

Tianjin Regular Member

Student
    Cheung, I search everytime. Im here on BC like an hour a day just searching for stuff. Sometimes I cannot find answers to the questions bothering me. That's when I create a thread to ask the questions. I have only found 1 thread talking about pronation/suppination in drives, and it was dated from a long time back, you being the thread creator I believe.

Anyways thanks guys, im less confused ;)

8. Tianjin

Tianjin Regular Member

Student
    Ok, I found a video of what I was asking about. Watch these chinese players practice driving:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P51_ZySMqy0&search=badminton

Notice the yellow guy, at the top of the screen. I would like to know more about his technique. Is it only wrist uncocking and finger power with the panhandle? It looks as if he is making a short swing with a follow through to make is easier on his wrist.

9. Tianjin

Tianjin Regular Member

Student
  10. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Obviously, he is using an arm swing as well. I think his arm swing is a little too long for play at the net; notice how he is often late getting his racket up for the return.

Don't get me wrong -- he's clearly a good player; but not, perhaps, a player from whom you should copy technique.

#10 Gollum, Dec 30, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2006
  11. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=ricky93423822&page=2

theres 5 videos of four individuals practicing.

these are only guesses, but the black tank-top individual looks like fu haifeng, the one in the yellow, with white wrist band has gotta be cai yun. the one in the teal blue shirt looks to me like chen jin but i doubt it is. the blue shirt and other yellow shirt individual is probably other (perhaps more junior) members of team china.

#11 chickenpoodle, Dec 30, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2006
  12. sunofabeach

sunofabeach Regular Member

isn't Cai Yun left handed? none of those players are lefties...

13. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

cai yun is right handed.
    his MD partner fu haifeng is left handed.
    read my post more carefully.