future of badminton???

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by the_way, Dec 24, 2006.

1. the_way

the_way Regular Member

i dont see any prominent change in the popularity of badminton after tony and howard won the men's double in anaheim...i would say the match fixing is a total waste of time. :cool: :cool: .

Can anyone tell me how badminton has become more famous???

2. Will Ko

Will Ko Regular Member

Part-time Student, Full-time Badminton wanabee
    Well i think it has improved. Atleast in UK, since Robertson and Emms won their olympic medals, it's certainly helped them as well in terms of media. In UK we are now having our countries leading channel 'BBC' coveraging top badminton events. Infact in 2007 they're showing the sudirman cup and world championship. This is a huge improvement to when they didn't show any! Also all england seats are more full now then they were 8 years ago when it was nearly empty.

I think in US it has also improved. My coach went there with a few friends and visited some clubs during the world championships and the standard there is improving day-by-day to what it use to be according to him. I think Tony and Howard have done badminton good whether the match was fixed or not, i think the anaheim championships were even better then the madrid to be honest.

It can't be that bad? FedEx took an interest in sponsoring the china national team as well and so did nike for the asian games?

I think all sports have been improved itself due to communication capabilities, internet,television,etc.

It is getting more popular but is still lagging behind other sports, time will only tell if it's getting more popular than others. I think all fellow badders should encourage people to have a go of the sport if they really are concerned or want it to be more popular.

Please tell us what's the situation like in Japan?:)

3. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

isnt badminton like the world's second most popular sport behind soccer? i've read it somewhere let me try to find my source

4. ck1981

ck1981 Regular Member

really? it should be tennis.

5. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

All these new clubs have been popping up in california for badminton since WC 05

6. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

In fact, after soccer, badminton ranks as the world's second-most popular participatory sport. And badminton was the most-watched sport at its Olympic debut in 1996.
    http://www.ucsf.edu/synapse/archives/articles/teo/bad.html

"Badminton claims to be the second most-popular participation sport in the world. Only football beats it.Badminton claims to be the second most-popular participation sport in the world. Only football beats it."
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/badminton/4163028.stm
    Football as in soccer

This website shows badminton over tennis and volleyball leading but i think this was in 2002
    http://www.johann-sandra.com/popular.htm