Position taken after flick serve

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Jamie Blackman, Nov 8, 2000.

1. After a small difference in oppion at the badminton club last night, I'm looking for the 'Correct' position to take after a serving a flick serve.

I think we should go side by side (defensive), but another guy at the club (who it has to be said is much better than me!), thinks the server should stay in close to the net with him covering the rest of the court (attacking position).

I find it impossible, but it seems to work for him.

Is there any right or wrong answer here?

Thanks

2. jerome

jerome Guest

I think the best position is one step backward after service. The more closer you stay close to the net. The more you give your opponent to smash at you. If you take one step back. He or she will not be able to guess what your going to do next.

Thanks,
    Jerome

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    conventional wisdom is that you should back up and go to defense formation after a flick serve. it make sense since a flick is lifting, and that's a defensive shot.

*however*, things are never so set in stone. dig out some tournament tapes and look closely. Indonesian players esp often stay at the offensive formation. i never figured out how that is more advantageous.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    oh yeah. the other thing is, even if your partner thinks that you should be staying at the front, the general rule is usually the guy in front make the call. that is, if the server (ie. you) backs up to defend, then your partner should move beside you and defend also.

the only reason is that the guy in front cannot see the motion behind him. so he has to make the move instead of the other way round.

Jerome, do i know you?

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    If the flick serve is really good, the receiver will not be able to smash.
    Then the server can stay in the same position because possible replies are:
    1) drive
    2) drop shot
    3) clear

At least for all three replies, the server side has attacking formation.

If the receiver is preparing to smash your flick serve, better move back to whatever side of the court you were serving from. However, there should be no need for the server to drop back as deep as the shuttle comes a diagonal direction.

As Kwun says it is the front person's decision wether to come back or not. If you are losing points from being caught out of position, rethink your strategy. Is it your poor positioning or was the shot beforehand to the opponent a poor one that allowed them to make a good shot.

6. jerome

jerome Guest

I don't think I know you Kwun. Sorry!!

7. Dude

Dude Guest

After a flick in doubles,

Assuming the skill level is decent (people are quick enough smash a flick serve)the server goes back to defensive position.

What would you accomplish by staying up? Most likely you'll get hit by a smash.
    If you're on the net when the shuttle is up on the other side, the only shot you are able to return effectively will be a dropshot to your close vicinity (not even the alleys). Then the whole rest of the court becomes your partner's responsibility.

Strategically, if a person serves, the shuttle goes UP. If the server moves to the net after a flick, the server AND the partner are positioned along the center line, more or less. This leaves BOTH alleys open to drops/smashes/drives.

gluck