Checking string tensions?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Clecwm, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Clecwm

Clecwm Regular Member

How can I actually check my string tensions myself? Are there any equipments tt can do so? Also, when restringing, do u guys usually state the tension the strings should be strung at?

2. malayali

malayali Regular Member

namaskaaram..
    It is really hard to find the exact tension once after the racket is strung; you will have to ask the guys who strung it & then just blindly believe what they say(in most cases).
    So, when you re-string your racket you have to mention the tension that you want.....

3. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Get a piano. Fine the tone where it match to your origional tension for that specific racquet. When you have question on that specific racquet's tension, find the matching tone again. For every note drop~1lb.

4. D-man2005

D-man2005 Regular Member

Good Idea.

Wouldn't a tunning fork work better. Develope a chart with different strings and cross reference with specific tensions, record the pitch the tunning fork proceduces. When you use the tunning fork on any string type compare it to the chart. Instantly you know what tension the racquet is strung at.

Regards,

D-Man

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    It's very hard to measure the tension when the racket is already strung. Give it to an experienced stringer, by pressing the string bed and listen to the tones, they can give u a reasonable guess.

6. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    It does not quite work that way because the tension already dropped, so this should be done when the racket is first stringed, then once find out the note it is, then that will be the reference point.

I do not think the tuning fork would be effective because it only comes A if I'm not correct, the piano would be better off.

Just to add on, to silenthead, the semi-tones can be added there as well, which would be about 0.5lbs, fine tuning, 0.25lbs.

This method would work appropriately under the assumption that it is the same racket, string method (same stringer perhaps), stringer and machine because you need to find the references on the racket. Any changes to the assumption would result in finding a new reference because it will be off.

I will use my rackets as an example. Swing Power 900 stringed up at 25.75 lbs and Nano Speed 9000 Type S at 24.25 lbs. They both done by the same stringer, same machine and same string. They both resonate at a “too sharp C#” once they come out of the stringing machine.

The NS9K, I was lucky, I hit the note I wanted right on the money. The SP900 however was bit challenging because I everything the racket was never quite on, sometimes it was too high, sometimes too low and I kept changing tension numbers to figure out why it was doing that. I soon realized that the racket was not being done to the same stringing machine. My rackets I get my references from is from a crank, however since they also own 3 electronic tension pull machines, sometimes it was being done on there that is where it was being thrown off. Once that was sorted out, the SP900 racket was getting the correct sound every time from then.

7. silentheart

Sorry, I was not clear enough. I what I ment was check the tone when the racquet is freshly strung. Use that tone as a reference to your origional tension.

8. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    And pluck the string like Zhu Ge Liang plucked a zipher. :D

9. silentheart

PS. Different racquet will produce different tonedue to different shape, size and srtring pattern. That is why you can not use 2 differnt model racquets for this test.

10. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Hmm, I thought I mentioned that in my post. Yes, if any of the assumptions have changed, you need to find a new reference for the racket from scatch as you will have to go in blind once to find out what sound is produced a what tention.

Well Pete, I believe you mean just using the racket and hitting it against the palm to hear the tone. I'm not sure about plucking, might just pop it! =) Oh well, I'll use a guitar pick ROFL!

#10 Matt, Dec 28, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2006
  11. cgote16

cgote16 Regular Member

student/ breeder
    sorry if this has been said allready :confused: (didnt read the whole thread) but i find the best way to find the tension of your strings is to put the end of the handle to your ear (push against ear) and flick ur strings...the vibrations come down the shaft of the racket and into your ear (very cool lol) the higher it is, oviously the tighter the string. now oviously you will not be able to know the exact tension, but if u get it strung at say 20lbs..do it, then u know the sound of 20lbs...iv been doing this for 2 years now..and iv acculy gotten pritty good at telling the tension,,

once again, if this has allready been mentioned, im sorry :confused:

12. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    cgote,

That is also another option, and still effective. I assume you're doing this when the racket just came out of the machine. I would say the using the racket and bounce it on your palm would be a better method.

I also assume that you say when you know what 20 lbs means in terms of sound, that will only for your racket - as mentioned in the thread above.

13. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Yes, bounce the stringbed on your palm. If you feel the string cutting into your skin, then the string is sufficiently tight :p :D.

14. jerby

jerby Regular Member

is the question:
    -"I asked for 24lbs, btu is it really 24lbs?"
    or:
    -"This racket is 24lbs, but is this one?"

if the first: who cares:p it plays well doesn't it?
    if the second: seek matching tones

15. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Well not quite that way.

It's like getting tenton with matching tone (the user wants) under assumed conditons.

16. evylgrynn

evylgrynn Regular Member

has anyone had any experience with the string tension gauges? the one that you place in between the strings on a strung racquet, and twist, then there's a needle that points to the correct tension when it lines up with the strings. sorry for the bad description
    I've seen ppl use these mainly for tennis but also for badminton, I don't know how accurate they actually are though

17. silentheart

It is for tennis and does not work well with badminton racquet.
    1) tennis racquets has bigger head
    2) tennis string are thicker
    3) many of those gauge start @ 34lb
    Use it as a reference. Measure it when the racquet is freshly strung. Measure it over time to compare the tension drop. It works better that way.