go to china to train?

Discussion in 'China / Hong Kong' started by westwood_13, Dec 28, 2006.

1. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    I would like to train in China this summer, and I'm hoping some of you can help me with this.

Last year, two of my friends went to Shanghai to train for a month. One of them spoke passable Chinese and had relatives there, which made getting around and finding a place to live significantly easier.

They're probably going again, and I'd like to go regardless of whether they do or do not. I'm not asian, and know no Chinese, although I'd quike like to learn and plan to.

Are there any facilities that would support us? Places where I could join for a month and train and be able to find boarding during my stay? How much would it cost to find a place to live?

Sorry to throw this at you, but I'm not really sur ewhere to start, and any/all help would be much appreciated.

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Maybe use the connection from that friend, since they've been there. Maybe consider join the program that they participate (if they are satisfied with the result), and use the connection to book a hotel for staying?

It's hard and dangerous to jump in blindly. Definitely ask ur friends for advice, as they are "experienced". ;)

3. Tianjin

Tianjin Regular Member

Student
    Please do not jump in blindly. I spent a month in China with my mom last summer. I can speak Chinese, however not that well. I found it kind of difficult to communicate with people. The best you can do is have someone go with you that can speak fluently and know the places. When I was walking about in China with my step-dad, who doesn't speak a word, we got ripped off a meal. It was worth 50 yuan, we paid 200 yuan. Obviously the waitress perceived my uncomfort in speaking and yeah...It was a really nice restaurant, and I didn't expect that from them.

I am going back to China during 2008, to follow the olympics, meet with family and friends, because I found it so exhilirating the first time. One of my friends will go with me. He knows nothing about China, and he doesn't speak a word.

I think it will be very hard for you if you go by yourself and try to find some place, you will constantly get ripped off.

My mom knows a friend in china who plays alot of badminton. I think I can try to get a hold of him so he can talk to his coach. Maybe he knows more about the facilities in China. What place were you planning to go to?

4. Tianjin

Tianjin Regular Member

Student
    Whoa, I re-read what I wrote. It sounds really negative. Sorry didn't want it to come out that way. China is a great place, just make sure you have someone to help you discover it =D

5. Notnimdab729

Notnimdab729 Regular Member

Deputy General Manager
    Training in China.

Hi guys,
    Of course if dont know anyone there, and cant read chinese, u may encounter some problems. Not all the chinese would rip people off. There is bound to have some bad apples around. I think the most important is that u need to get the correct contact whether it is yr friend or organisation that conduct coaching sessions, then it will be fine.;)
    Furthermore, u need to specify which is the location u intend to train.:)
    Good luck :D
    Lee;)

6. Marcustzy

Marcustzy Regular Member

Are you looking for a professional coach? There are many options available and you may start by searching online for reputable badminton clubs in Shanghai. Some of the clubs have professional coaches hired to train their players but if you have only a short period of time and can afford it, it's best to get a 1 to 1 training.

I am a foreigner in China but I speak mandarin. I play a lot of badminton in Shanghai in many different clubs and am a regular in Shanghai Badminton Club. We have International friends from France, Sweden, etc who speak no Mandarin.

Not sure if I have been helpful enough. Maybe you can specify more on what you are looking for.

7. event

event Regular Member

I find it interesting that you would choose China, regardless of whether your Chinese friends go. Have you considered Malaysia or Indonesia? Is the price a key factor? Malaysia's cost of living is slightly higher but the fact that there is so much English spoken there might make it an attractive choice. Indonesia has a lower cost of living and while there may not be any English spoken there, there might be a tiny bit more than in China. Also, Bahasa Indonesia is very easy to learn, at least to learn enough to get by with.

8. webolution

webolution Regular Member

Have you considered to come to train in Malaysia? I am Swiss and I live and work here since 1 year. It is a great place, good value for money and easy to comunicate as almost everybody speaks english.
    I train under Chor Hui Yee (http://www.theklracketclub.com/CHOR-HOOI-YEE.html)- an international doubles player but specializing in training now. There are also a lot of other high profile coaches available. If you want I can easily get you in contact with some. Malaysia is definitely a great place to train due to the amount of great players, communication in english, reasonable cost, good quality of lodging and food - and some stunning beaches if you want to relax a bit...

9. HongKongIp

HongKongIp Regular Member

Worker
    As the population of people who plays badminton is very large in China, his badminton training is sophisticated for both novice, amateur and professional.

If you want to go to

Hangzhou, China click http://www.aboutus.org/Hzkbc.com (english site)
    and email them.

Beijing, China click http://www.yajoclub.com/ (english site)
    and contact them.

The second one seems to have more information about their programs in English

#9 HongKongIp, Apr 24, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2007