Pros use overgrip?

Discussion in 'Grip' started by Clecwm, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Clecwm

Clecwm Regular Member

Do pros ike Lin Dan use overgrip for their racquets?

2. george333

george333 Regular Member

Associate Director
    Yep, just look at some of pictures where he only grips half of his handle

3. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    Actually I think he doesn't overgrip and just uses a thick towel grip in that picture. I remember hearing a coach talk about this but the fewer layers you have the less torque you will end up having to deal with. That and I think D's hands are small enough.

4. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

hmmm maybe thats why using over 1 layer of grip feels less comfortable/powerful to me. or maybe i just like the feel of a head heavier racquet now :rolleyes:. Hmmm, interesting.

5. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    Well, in theory (yay for badminton theory), the more layers of grip you use the more energy is lost from the transfer from your hand to the racket. This comes from the squishiness of the grip reducing the the peak power or from something like rotational torque which results from loosness caused from multiple layers. On the other hand, if your handle is too small the contact area of your hand to the racket will be lower then optimal which then results in less power transfered overall because of the lost of contact (yay for big handed people). So it's really just finding the perfect grip. Somebody like Jossan and Gade (i think) are probably using overgrip while lin dan probably doesn't need to because of what my friend likes to call "asian hands".

6. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    i guess most of the players will do overgrip..it feels better to play with..as long as it's not too thick,otherwise u'll transfer less power.

7. alvinlai

alvinlai Regular Member

Legal Counsel
    I just can't stand thick grips. I have tried one of my team mate's racquet before,and although being an AT700, he puts on 2 pieces of Karakal grips. Goodness me, I was struggling to actually get power and control. Imagine gripping a "girth" of about 5.5"~! I still prefer stripping the initial layer of grip and putting on a towel grip or 2 supergraps over. I guess I still prefer G4-G5~