Good All round racquet

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by JWT23, Dec 29, 2006.

1. JWT23

JWT23 New Member

Hi,

Have been playing Badminton seriously (2 or 3 times a week) for about 6 months now. At the moment I am still using a very basic beginners racquet.
    I mainly play doubles but also occasionally singles. Not really sure about a particular style of play at the moment, but have recently improved my net play considerably.

The main problem is a lack of power, especially when playing with more experienced players, I find i cant clear as well as them.
    Am looking for a good all-round raqcuet; thinking maybeMP99, but I'm concerned that when moving to a more advanced racquet, might be to the dertiment of my game; especially the racquet stiffness. Currenty the racquet I use says "medium stiff" so what racquet should I choose to obtain as smooth a transition as possible.

Thanks
    James

2. Tianjin

Tianjin Regular Member

Student
    What is your current racket?

3. jas1121

jas1121 Regular Member

Accountant
    TI-10? i just tried it recently, the new version though.

4. jotaro

jotaro Regular Member

MP 66 is not bad choice actually for beginners because it's a light headed well balance racquet. Don't get high end racquets for now since you're still getting used to badminton. You might wanna avoid clashes too since it happens alot on new comers. Try to practise more and master your skills. When you feel your racquet can't satisfy your skills, then you can start asking for suggestions or demo new racquets.

5. storkbill

storkbill Regular Member

I started playing last year and found the 2U Ti-10 to be a great beginner's racquet as it helped me improve my power/strength. Since you say you need to improve your power/clearing, it's an ideal racquet for that.

Find a partner and do nothing for clears for half an hour before actually starting the game. 10 sessions should be enough. (this is nothing as 10 year old Chinese schoolkids practice nothing but clears for 1 hour straight :) )

6. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    I've done clearing for 2 hours straight with my friend before. That sure helped them a lot. With clears though I prefer to use a lighter racket to train the "snap" motion of a clear.

7. Javalina

Javalina Regular Member

student
    I would recommend Yonex MP-88 because it is even balanced with flexible shaft. Beginners can use it to develop skills for being either a control player or offensive player.

8. storkbill

storkbill Regular Member

MP88 is head heavy (written on the shaft), especially the 3U version. I think the 4U version is not as head heavy.

9. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    What's your racquet right now?? If you have any friend's with a racquet for example mp-88,99 or any kind of racquet you must like ask them if you can borrow it. Try to try it out more than a few weeks. =) I highly reccomend the yonex nanospeed 900 type x but you need a stronger wrist so I wouldn't reccomend this racquet for beginners. You can even change the string if you think that's the problem. It's not always your racquet it can be technique,strings,tension etc.

:cool: :D

10. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    Sorry made a small type 0 nanospeed 9000*

11. foo.tw

foo.tw Regular Member

NS9000 2u-S 3U-X AT800-DF-3U AT700-4U Ti10/mp100-3U NS8000/7000-2U MP99-3U Maybe: AT800-OF-4U MP88-3U CAB30MS-3U

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If possible, try to demo as many rackets as possible, before making a decision. If you have to choose blindly, Yonex MP88/99, AT800DE and SOTX Woven 8 might be a safe choice.

13. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    Seconding nomination for Woven-8. It was my first non-noob racket and I love it.

14. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

The best racket that i would recommend is a Cab 20 or 21 (assuming you use Yonex). You can never go wrong with them.

As you are rapidly learning badminton, it best that you learn it in a oval shaped racket (Like learning on manual shift and then driving auto). The best rackets in terms of performance/value is the Cab series.

Best of Luck!

15. JWT23

JWT23 New Member

Thanks for the advice guys,

Unfortunately I am going to have to buy blind.
    If I do go for the MP88/99. I'm concerned about the Flex of the Racqet.

t the moment I'm playing with a medium stiff racquet
    MP99 Extra Stiff
    MP88 Medium

Or alternatovely I could go for a type S Nanonspeed 9000?
    I'm concerned about the length of my clears, as I wouldnt say I was the strongest player.

Any thoughts?

16. pedro22

pedro22 Regular Member

If you can't clear to the back with a medium flex racket, it will be even harder with a stiffer racquet, assuming string & tension remain the same.

Are you still using the stock string on the racquet? How about changing the string to something decent (eg. BG80 at 21lbs) and then see if your clears improve. This way you'll be able to tell if medium is the right flex for you before you buy a higher-end racquet.