Anyone else torn their cruciate ligament?

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by bighitter, Dec 31, 2006.

1. bighitter

bighitter Regular Member

Student and Coach (I know I am 16 but I am coachin
    About three weeks ago I had the unfortunate experience of tearing my Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) in a Badminton match for my club. Basically this injury has prevented me from putting any weight on my leg for a good 2 weeks (untill the damaged ACL was removed in an op) and I won't be playing Badminton for 6 - 8 months from my next operation (to have it repaired). Big bummer I know, not much I can do about it though. The way I did it shouldn't really have warranted such an extreme injury, all I did was lunge for the birdie in the back lefthanded corner, and I felt something pop and excruciating pain there after. An ambulance was called and I was rushed to A and E, where I was told it was a sprain and to bugger off. NHS = crappo. But yeh after 5 days of no improvement, my GP finally figured out something else was really wrong.

My question is: has anyone else done something similar?

Luckily for me this isn't a permanent injury, I have medical insurance meaning I won't have to wait an extra 5 months for everything to start moving. Plus side is I can coach in the mean time, and I'm pretty much back to walking normally. I just can't twist abruptly, or run for that matter. It'd just be nice to know this hasn't just happened to me.

2. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    Knee ligament injuries are quite common. Not just in badminton but in other sports too, like football. Ligaments are richly supplied with nerves (so very painful) and have a very poor blood supply (so takes too long to heal).

Key is to play with right technique. Even that wont gurantee safety if the ligaments are weaker. You should avoid twisting movments. Many people stop playing just because of the phobia but I like your spirit.

Wish you all the best. Get well soon. I am sure you will start playing again. :)

3. Javalina

Javalina Regular Member

student
    I have both of ACL teared and had operations to fix them, however, they are not from badminton. I tore both of my ACLs playing basketball. I broke my ACL in my left knee and had operation to fix it then after about 6 month I went back to play basketball again and tore my right ACL. So from my experience, I would suggest take it easy on yourself and it does take time for the knee to heal. Don't rush back to the court and play and do do the excersise the doctor prescibe to you. Once you feel confident about your knee's stablility then ease yourself back into the game. It will be a long healing process but once it is heal you can probably have about 80 to 90 percent of the old performance. Good luck!

4. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    ACL, that is a terrible, terrible injury. I hope your recovery is speedy.

As to experience, it hasn't happened to me, but my dad tore his ACL as a college basketball player and my friend tore hers playing softball. My dad did not have an operation immediately... in fact he waited fifteen years... big mistake. However, once he got it operated on, the recovery was quite quick and he was playing again in no time. He's had absolutely no problems with that knee since, which is remarkable given that he's well over fifty.

As to my friend, her recovery was less quick, but she is able to play again, although to the elite level she was before.

I hope all goes well for you and things are back to normal in no time!

5. Double_Player

Double_Player Regular Member

BUY A GOOD KNEE BRACE. a real one, not those elastic wrap. I've injured my knee. wore elastic wrap for a year and taking glucosamine. it's fine right now.