Forgive me my ignorance....

Discussion in 'Asian Games 2006 - Badminton' started by Simone_olivelli, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Simone_olivelli

Simone_olivelli Regular Member

I don't still understand.
    During Asian Games in Doha Taufik played three times against Lin Dan?
    Why?

Two lost and one won (the most important match!)?

Explain me, please.

2. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

Dude please allow me to say u r wayyyy too outdated hehe.
    TH lost twice to LD during the team competition, but won the most important Asian Games gold medal against LD!

3. Simone_olivelli

What is team competition?
    Did it belong to Asian Games?

4. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    He had gold medal for individual section in which he beat LD
    in team events he lost

5. Simone_olivelli

How many times, during Asian Games, did he play against Lin Dan in Team events?
    How many days between Team events and Individual section?

6. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Clearing Your Cobwebs

Hi Simone :)
    Perhaps this might be of some help.

At the Asian games, many sports have two streams:
    1. the team competition, where countries play other countries for team honours (like in the Thomas Cup), and
    2. the individual competition, where players face off against each other for individual honours (like in the All England Open)

Badminton and table-tennis are examples of sports with two competition streams. Football and basketball are examples of sports that have only team competition. Swimming and athletics are examples of sports with only individual competition. :)

The team competition begins with a league round, where countries (as teams) play other countries in a multiple league. Men and women play separate leagues.

Each team vs team encounter comprises 5 draws - 3 singles and 2 doubles. The country (or team) that wins 3 of the 5 draws is the winner. :) (I use the word 'draws' instead of 'matches' because as soon as a team wins 3 matches, the remaining draws are abandoned.)

Coming specifically to your doubt, Indonesia played China, India, Thailand and Japan in the men's team league stage. By virtue of their victories against India, Japan and Thailand, Indonesia advanced to the knockout semifinal stage, where they fell to China.

To add a bit of detail: :)

On 02 Dec 2006, the men's team competition began.

In both the league stage and the semifinal stage, Indonesia and China chose to feature the same line-up. For the 3 mandatory singles matches, Indonesia put up Taufik, Simon Santoso and Sony Dwi Kuncoro - and China chose Lin Dan, Chen Jin and Bao Chunlai to face them. (For the 2 mandatory doubles matches, Indonesia chose Markis Kido & Hendra Setiawan to face Cai Yun & Fu Haifeng and Luluk Hadiyanto & Chandra Yulianto to fight Xie Zhongbo & Guo Zhendong.)

In their first encounter (team event - league stage) on 02 Dec, Lin Dan beat Taufik in a three-setter - 21-17, 17-21, 21-16. (China won that meeting 3-1 through Lin Dan, Cai&Fu and Bao Chunlai. Chen Jin was, however, beaten by Santoso.)

In their second encounter (team event - semifinal knockout stage) on 04 Dec, Lin Dan again beat Taufik 22-20, 13-21. 21-12. (This time too, China won 3-1 through Lin Dan, Chen Jin and Xie&Guo. Cai&Fu were beaten by Kido&Setiawan.)

(Remarkably, Lin Dan lost the following day to Lee Hyun Il - 22-20, 11-21, 21-13 - in the first singles of the team event final between China and Korea! :eek: However, just three days later, in the semi-final of the individual competition, a vengeful Lin Dan handed Lee Hyun Il a horrific thrashing - 21-3 :eek:, 21-10.)

On 05 Dec, the men's singles individual competition began.

On 09 Dec, after smashing their way through the two halves of the draw, Lin Dan and Taufik met again - for the third time in eight days! :eek:

This time, it was Taufik's turn to dictate the result - and win he did, in a confident straight set (21-15, 22-20).

Both men went home with a gold medal each: Lin Dan, when China became the men's team champions... and Taufik, when he became the men singles' champion.

I hope I have cleared your doubts, simone. :rolleyes:
    If I haven't, please relax and read the above again. :D

7. Simone_olivelli

Thank you Oldhand, perfect! vbmenu_register("postmenu_491804", true);