Chit-Chat Column: Year 2007 is the Year of the ......

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by chris-ccc, Dec 31, 2006.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Greetings,

WELCOME TO YEAR 2007 !!! :):):)

Hope that everyone has enjoyed YEAR 2006.

Many members@Badminton Central know that YEAR 2007 is the Year of the Pig(Boar).

But the United Nations Organisation is telling us not to forget the Dolphins.

Here is an article;

Cheers... chris@ccc

====== start article ======

[​IMG][FONT=Bitstream Vera Sans, sans-serif]

Welcome to the Year of the Dolphin
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Bitstream Vera Sans, sans-serif]Dolphins are intrinsically tied to our cultural history and awareness. Living in oceans and rivers, they are a living treasure of our blue planet. However their survival is becoming increasingly difficult. Dolphins need clean and quiet oceans, protected areas and people who care. [/FONT]

[FONT=Bitstream Vera Sans, sans-serif]The UN Convention on Migratory Species, together with its specialized agreements on dolphin conservation ACCOBAMS and ASCOBANS and the Whale and Dolphin Conservation Society WDCS have declared 2007 the Year of the Dolphin. [/FONT]

[FONT=Bitstream Vera Sans, sans-serif]The United Nations, Governments, intergovernmental organizations, NGOs and the private sector, namely TUI, are building a strong alliance to achieve a common objective: to protect dolphins. A crucial factor in achieving this is education to create awareness of dolphin species, educate, inform decision makers and involve local communities. Therefore, the Year of the Dolphin will be part of the UN Decade on Education for Sustainable Development. The campaign is also a tangible contribution towards meeting targets to reduce the loss of wildlife by 2010 which all Governments have agreed through the UN. [/FONT]

[FONT=Bitstream Vera Sans, sans-serif]Patron of the Year of the Dolphin is H.S.H. Prince Albert II of Monaco. [/FONT]

[FONT=Bitstream Vera Sans, sans-serif]"The Year of the Dolphin gives me the opportunity to renew my firm commitment towards protecting marine biodiversity. With this strong initiative we can make a difference to save these fascinating marine mammals from the brink of extinction." H.S.H. Prince Albert II of Monaco[/FONT]

[FONT=Bitstream Vera Sans, sans-serif]====== end article ======

[/FONT]

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Year of the pig but it is the "golden" pig year.

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Elements in a different order in Shanghai ???

[FONT=Bitstream Vera Sans, sans-serif]Hi Cheung, [/FONT]

[FONT=Bitstream Vera Sans, sans-serif]With my Chinese background from Southern China, I thought the 5 elements are metal, water, wood, fire and earth, and in that order. [/FONT]

[FONT=Bitstream Vera Sans, sans-serif] Perhaps, the elements are in a different order in Shanghai :confused::confused::confused:[/FONT]

[FONT=Bitstream Vera Sans, sans-serif]In my calculations, Year 2007 should be the Year of the Fire Pig. [/FONT]

[FONT=Bitstream Vera Sans, sans-serif]Cheers... chris@ccc

[/FONT]

4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Yep, tis the year of the Fire Boar....

..chris@ccc sure knows his Chinese Astrological calendar..hehe:p:D;)
    (Cheung, you sure that wasn't taken from an older article??hehe:p:);))
    according to http://www.kuleuven.ac.be/iccp/2002/iccp4/chinese/astrologicalcalendar.htm, tis the yr of the Fire Boar/Pig..:)
    (each element will lasts approx. 2 yrs, so the next "Golden"/metal yr will be in 3 yrs; 2010-2011. 2008-2009 will relate to the Earth element)

Attached Files:

• 5e.JPG
      5e.JPG
      File size:
      29.2 KB
      Views:
    #4 ctjcad, Jan 1, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2007
  5. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Any piggies on here?

No, I'm not being rude et al.

I'm a kid.

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Astrological Link

Hi ctjcad,

Thank you for your Astrological Link. :):):)

Found interesting info there, that I have not known. :cool::cool::cool:

Cheers... chris@ccc

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Hmmm... This does sound strange. Myself also was told from various sources that this year is the "gold" year... :confused:

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    umm, have to admit I'm no chinese astrologer but I got the information from the local newspaper here in HK as well..:confused:

9. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    We may have to wait for a long time before Gold year is here so the astrologer pronounce it as a GOLD YEAR. Anything can happen you know, even Pluto is not a planet anymore.

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
  11. hiroisuke

hiroisuke Regular Member

Student
    Eh, about the second article. Bad translation, I think. In Chinese, it's gold. Dunno why they changed it to metal. I have no idea, personally, about whether it's a fire or gold year, but all I know is that it's not my year! Still waiting, gotta wait until I'm 24, so quite a while.

12. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Approximately, 1 in every 12 members@BC should be piggies

Hi wilfredlgf,

Approximately, 1 in every 12 members@BC should be piggies. :):):)

Cheers... chris@ccc

13. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    I know there's an 8.3% chance of finding a piggy from every one hundred members but who are they?

I'm a kid, by the way.

14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

2007: Year of the crane

Hi ants,

You are absolutely right... :):):)

Here is a proposal by Huashang Morning Post.
    Link= http://news.xinhuanet.com/society/2006-06/27/content_4754560.htm

Cheers... chris@ccc

====== start article ======

news.xinhuenet
    27-Jun-2006 09:40:20

2007: Year of the crane

Latest hare-brained scheme to make the leap from the Internet to print: updating the Chinese zodiac.

Led by Huashang Morning Post, Chinese print media reported on an online, proposal to drop the rat, snake, rooster, and pig from the roster of 12 zodiac animals, and to replace them with the lion, fish, phoenix, and crane.

The reasoning in the original forum post is that rats eat grain stores and chew clothing, snakes carry a bad connotation, pigs are lazy, and "rooster" has the same pronunciation as "famine."

The proposed replacements have more pleasant connotations - the lion is the king of beasts, the phoenix carries good luck, the crane represents long-life, and the fish, of course, is a popular New Year's symbol of plenty.

Swapping out several animals also has the potential to cut down on superstition-related troubles.

With the Year of the Rooster changed to Year of the Phoenix, for example, there would no longer be any problem with people born in that year getting married or having children in the Year of the Monkey, a serious no-no according to various folk sayings.

====== end article ======

15. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Haha..that should be interesting..

...for sure if that were to happen, cooler will then have to go back & revise his Player's Personality - A Chinese Zodiac Perspective thread again here : http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39570..hehe:p :D ;)

#15 ctjcad, Jan 5, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2007
  16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

that's a negative.
    we live in a real time dimension and no time reversal had yet been invented. What were borne before the rule change, if any, were already set in their genes. However, if TH turns out to be a compassionate Philantropist and wear sloppy clothings and have sloppy hairs, i will eat my words.:p

I believe the original animals are more appropriate, common animals equating to common people. Phoenix, lion, crane sound noble but they are not the majority of the animal kingdom nor have any equivalent traits for replacement. I think the guy proposing this change is a b***head.

17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Speaking of which..

..hmm, what does the Chinese Astrological Calendar say abt the fate of LinDan and/or Taufik for this yr??...Maybe if we can study them a bit we can find out who will be luckier or not so lucky this yr....
    Let's continue the discussion in your thread, cooler : http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=493556#post493556 ..;):)

18. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Rats are just doing what they're programmed by nature to do; snakes keep pest population in check and are themselves food to higher predators; pigs provide food to humans; roosters wake farmers up, fertilise eggs and by themselves are food.

What is unnatural though, is to put a stigma on them just because they mirror the ugly habits/traits of human whom are supposed to be the apex predator of the animal kingdom, or don't conform to the standards of properness because of the culture. Its like saying, "Let's not talk about cats who groom themselves all the time because it reminds me of how vain I am". ;)

#18 wilfredlgf, Jan 6, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2007
  19. cooler

cooler Regular Member

sorry to see ur so naive. I can shoot you (with facts) from all angles but i decided not to as Mods would view my actions as attacking another member which isn't mine nor this forum motive.

20. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    That is probably the most refreshing reply I've seen for a while. This place lacks guts sometimes that I find it mind numbing.

Don't be sorry. Enlighten me and if I don't agree I will argue with you about it. I like to hear opposition in discussions, especially those with facts or even just weighted opinions that makes sense.

Provided it is done with manners and decorum, I don't see how you're breaching forum rules.