deception......... HOW???

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by amenzza, Jan 1, 2007.

1. amenzza

amenzza Regular Member

student
    i mainly play sinlges but do also play a fair share of doubles.
    my court coverage and technqiue are pretty good... lack a bit of control on the smashes :D

my question really is in sinlges how to decept an opponent... ive been trying for a long time but just cant come up with anything to do on court.

any help is much appreicated

if anyone has any videos please feel free to post them up!

thanks again,
    amenzza

2. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    you need lots of practice, also when your opponent is alert, deception will not help you much, in fact will only reveal your deceptive moves. When your opponent is off guard or not in position, you can use some deception to out manoever him. But in doubles deception wont win points easily but opens up for attacking opportunities.

about how to deceive, its not something you can just learn by reading, you need some hands on,

one kind of deception which is very simple is sudden reduction of swing speed/force, resulting in a drop. but I dont think you can have sudden increase in swing speed/force.

3. jas1121

jas1121 Regular Member

Accountant
    A common style of deception and also most used ones are, when you are taking the net high make it as if you are gonna net and at the same time observe your opponent's movement and you can either net or push it flat back.

4. Lobber

Lobber Regular Member

what you can do is to watch video and see how other players do it.
    Also,you need to have very fast footwork so that you have time to carry out your shots

5. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    The best deception will come from form. With the exception of the jump smash, the form for your smash/clear/drop should be identical. The only difference is the angle at which the bird is hit at the very end of the stroke. This makes it difficult for the opponent to discern where the bird is going. Same thing with the lift/net... whenever you lift, if you do it in a flick manner, it should look like you are going to hit a net shot when in fact you are not.

Therefore, it's important to work on your form and technique to deceive your opponent, and also be aware of what they are doing. They may be standing in a position which shows that they are expecting to receive a particular shot, and you can use this to your advantage.

Of course, there are more highly deceptive 'tricky' shots, but these should come after you've mastered the form thing.

Good luck!

6. cheongsa

cheongsa Regular Member

Assistant Professor
    No exception, really. A clear and a drop can be executed just as easily off the ground. These strokes can further leverage the rally in your favor, if the opponent is expecting a smash.

7. mettayogi

mettayogi Regular Member

Double swing

One deception is to pose for net shot and back swing again to flick over him when opponent is rushing to net. For me it's not necessarily planned, but a reaction to opponent rushing to net or shifting weight forward prematurely.

I saw this even in LD-TH match.

8. amenzza

amenzza Regular Member

student
    thanks people !!!!

anyone know any good matches i can watch which have a lot of decetption in them?

could you also send me the link to the match

much appreciated.

9. xt6666

xt6666 Regular Member

Badminton Idol
    You should watch some matches with CHEN HONG

EDIT:

Also from Taufik Hidayt, he has very deceptive overhead strokes...

10. pwakankar

pwakankar Regular Member

Deception

In my opinion deception comes from two things

1. Having enough time to play the shot
    2. Playing the stroke as late as possible (i.e. after your opponent has commited his position to react to your shot)

1 comes from having the correct footwork to get in to position as quickly as you can so that you will have enough time.

2 comes just watching your opponent

11. Kiwiplayer

Kiwiplayer Regular Member

12. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    for me the most effective way to decieve an opponent is to 'hold' the shot for as long as you can. For underhand shots, get yourself there (footwork), get your racquet there, then follow the birdie down to the floor for as long as you want to/can, keeping your eye to the opponent. if they arent very skilled, they often anticipate a shot such as a net or a lift, and you can react occordingly. as my coach always says, the person who wins the rally is the person who moves LAST. if he moves first, you give them the opposite shot and they'll probably screw up/bad return. Wrist strength is very inportant in doing this though because you wont have any arm movement lest you give away your shot.
    and i cant belive no one mentioned changing the angle of your racquet in a netshot of the center. backhand netshot, the racquets 45degrees to your left, suddenly drop your arm down before the bird hits it and make it 45 degrees to your rigt. goes in completely the opposite direction and again punishes 'moving first'

13. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    to deceive an opponent you'll need at least the fundamental strokes, and considerable wrist power. the flick is one of the most common form of deception and others include slicing dropshots to either sides, sudden drives/wrist-smashes......and most importantly, stroke uniformity

14. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    oh yea, you need to have small actions too

15. jerby

jerby Regular Member

Deception in basic form(, very basic!)
    you can mix up a coupel of things:
    -slow and fast
    -cross and straight
    -sliced or flat on

what I mean is: just fake a shot. when your opponent drops get your racket up to the shuttle like your want to do a netshot (no swing, just racket up). then suddenly, with your fingers and wrist, flick the shuttle over him...
    or: jump up with a tensed body, like a smash, and at the last second, relax and drop (or, stay tight and do a slice shot)

same with cross straight, or sliced flat.
    you give the opponent the idea that he knows what your going to do, that's the clue...;)

more advanced methods of deception :)p, yeah right, me being advanced;)) includes watching if your opponent falls for it..if you get to the net in "netshotmodes" and he stays at his base, do a netshot..the key is watching your opponent and thinking...

note that deception doesn't mean goofy trickshots:eek:

16. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

My 2 cents on this-It could go either way as well..

..like a few of you had mentioned above, i somewhat concur that wrist & footwork are crucial parts in doing deceptive shots...But IMO, as a few of you also mentioned above, anticipation or "thinking ahead of oneself" is another important factor. And definitely it goes both ways as well. As deceptive shots can also occur to anyone, even pros also get their fair amt of share in getting their own "deceptive shots" medicine (ie. if i remember correctly, there were couple of instances in the 2004 Olympic MS Final between Taufik & ShonSM, where even Taufik got wrong-footed in that match;)).

That being said, i think a fair, or maybe an even, amt of being able to execute a deceptive shot goes on the other side as well. For this illustration below(hope my explanation is somewhat clear), let's identify :
    Player-A as the one who's waiting for the next shot from his/her opponent and..
    Player-B as the one executing the deceptive shot..
    For an example, *in an intermediate or advanced playing situation*, if Player-A anticipates, thinks or guesses "ahead of time" a certain shot from Player-B will go to a certain spot and Player-A acts on that, Player-A has put him/herself in a position to be "deceived". But in a few other instances, (as the title of the thread is called), Player-A him/herself can also "deceive" Player-B by indicating a "false" sign, just by positioning or putting him/herself in certain spots and making Player-B dictates Player-A's position. So executing or being in a position to receive a deceptive shot goes either way and certainly not limited to non-pros(like us). ;) :cool:

#16 ctjcad, Jan 7, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2007
  17. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Deception can take many forms, from varying your racquet swing, varying your court movements, and varying the angle of contact on the racquet.
    However, deception without employing the wrist is crude and will deliver a shot you can read easily.
    The mother of deception is the wrist. It is the wrist that can do the vital snap, sting and deceptive last second changes in speed and direction that are the hallmarks of true deception. The more powerful your wrist snap the less arm movement employed. This form of deception hobbles an opponent's anticipation. It also makes an opponent "cross-legged" (going the wrong way). Your opponent is kept on tenterhooks. This form of deception can soften up your opponent for you to deliver the coup-de-grace.

18. jam@eadg

jam@eadg Regular Member

agree with you all...especially pwakankar & t3tsubo.

actually, that's the thing i'm working on right now. so, amenzza, let's practice doing the shots properly and consistently, then gradually practice watching our "opponents" and do the "last minute" shot changes. cheers.

19. Misbehavin

Misbehavin Regular Member

Bean counting part time, imaginary baddy fulltime
    A non technical suggestion from a try hard oldie :p :p

There are some good coaching videos around which shows deceptive techniques... eg in the tournment video share forum see http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36499

Other coaches if you search around in badmintoncentral you can also get Xiong Guo Bao. I bought some videos from Lee Jae Bok's web site www.ibbs.tv/IBBS/home/home.aspx

I find watching tournments help with the appreciation of what angles are possible and from where.

Good luck