Do i need a bigger grip

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Seigaku, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Seigaku

Seigaku Regular Member

I was playing badminton the other day and i realized im using a panhandle grip,so i was looking through the BC grip guide and tried to fix how i hold my racket. I noticed that im using the panhandle grip is because my hands are pretty big and when i hold my racket my thumb touches my index finger and my middle finger.Its really uncomfortable so i put my thumb out so it doesnt touch my fingers.I was wondering if making my grip alittle bigger would help. My grip size is G3 and has a thin layer of over grip.I have a G5 with overgrip too but i havent really used that racket and its getting restrung so i cant really test it out.

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

If your current grip is uncomfortably small, then you probably need a bigger grip!

Note, however, that whether your thumb and index finger touch depends on how you position them. The index finger and thumb should be somewhat pointing up the racket, not curled around in a ring.

If a player cannot encircle the handle with his ring and index finger touching, then I think his grip is too big. (Of course, this is not the right way to hold the racket!)

#2 Gollum, Jan 2, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2007
  3. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    I don't think anybody can put it better than Gollum is.

So I'll second his motion and throw down an 'I agree' so perhaps you're further convinced that your grip is too small :)

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If your grip is way too small, you might have to add a layer or two to solve the problem. However, the trade off is the balance of the racket will be shifted more toward the handle.

5. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I strongly recommend that players get the grip size right, and forget about the balance shift.

(The balance shift is not relevant to the racket's playing characteristics anyway. It's simple mechanics.)

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I do agree that the correct grip size should come to 1st priority. Therefore, if possible, players should select the racket with the right grip size when they purchase, as any "afterward" modification will somehow effect the playability. Of course, how to prioritize the factors, depend on each individual and situation. :)

7. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I don't actually believe that is true -- or at least, the modification effected by adding grip layers is so small that it is irrelevant.

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Compare to the size change, I agree that the weight modification might be not as significant. However, it does effect the feeling consider how light some of the rackets are (and how heavy duty some of the replacement grips are) today. Of course, whether the weight shift only does minimal damage, or make the racket feel very much different, it depends on how "sensitive" the player is. :rolleyes:

9. Simp84

Simp84 Regular Member

Student
    Hi Gollum is there anyway to get a bigger grip without buying a new racket?
    Because the last time i attempt to "overly wrap" my grip I totally lost control and the feel of the racket.. cheers;)

10. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I'm not sure why that would be.

Adding a grip tape is very simple. Use replacement grips -- these are thicker -- to bulk up the handle, and finish with an overgrip (thinner) if you like.

Equipment choice is a very subjective thing (although I do feel some players let their imaginations run away with them :rolleyes:).

11. Simp84

Simp84 Regular Member

Student
    u see I try to wrap it thicker with my roll of towel grip, in the end it just feel all soft and funny.. and you cant feel the wood, and you kinda loose the sense of control, you know what i mean?
    Anyway thanks for the suggestion, using thick replacement grip with overgrip on it.. I will give that a go another time when all my grips have worn out :D

12. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    No one knows this anwer but u.U can try various hand grip in some stores n feel how big is the one that'll fit u.I must say that most players would pick smaller grip so that they could control better..in ur case,it's ok to pick a bigger one,but not too big..u might feel uncomfy with that.

13. morewood

morewood Regular Member

Rocket science time, if its uncomfortable to use your racquet as it is you need to make changes too it. Stick a layer of PU grip on the handle then another if you find the first helps, build the grip up so its comfortable but not cumbersome.

14. TonyWdq

TonyWdq Regular Member

Software
    hey guys i have a skinny hand compared to most people so the racket handle feels kind of large, but when i hold the handle at its thin (top) part in doubles i feel quite comfortable and racket becomes more manuverable

i've been thinking about stripping down the original grip and go with NOT another replacement grip, but just a layer of overgrip. Ive seen another member here did it but i'm not sure if its most helpful in reducing weight or bringing out more control.

do you guys recommend it? anyone else did it?

15. morewood

morewood Regular Member

Control rather than weight.

16. BaddGolfer

BaddGolfer Regular Member

Only you can deteremine whats the right grip size and that too after playing w/ a racket for a while. Just holding the racket may or may not tell you whats the right size. For example, I play my Mp99 and At800D w/ different grip sizes. Relatively speaking I needed to play w/ a slightly thicker grip for the 800D to control it better compared to the MP99. Only the player can find out after playing for a while and experimenting a little...

17. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    one thing that can sometimes happen with grip change, or too small a grip is pain in your elbow. a coach once explained to me, forgot most of it cos he takes ages :p but i do clearly remember if you've been using a certain grip too long, or too small a grip and grip it too tight, or sometimes even too big a grip, a change gives you pain the in elbow. something about your forearm connecting to your elbow and since the grip is constant, the muscle use is constant and a change in this results in pain.

i know for sure when i bumped up my grip size from small to medium, i got lots of pain in my elbow. but after a week, it subsided. then i went up andother grip to try results, and the pain came back. dropped the overgrip and pain went away.

so i'm not sure if it's just me or what, but yeah...

18. TonyWdq

TonyWdq Regular Member

Software
    yes it's true

just put your non-racket hand on the bottom of your elbow while tightening your grip you'll feel the hardening of muscles

well for me, it does happen, and my experiment did hurt my elbow a bit but i let the racket rest on my fingers most of the time and only grab hard for the grip in preparation for a stroke so it doesn't bother me.

at the same time i do feel a significant increase in racket control, so i guess ive found the right adjustment for me

19. mindfields

mindfields Regular Member

I had the same problem with losing the "Feel" of the racquet when I was using a large grip as well. sports store owner suggested some "Gauze" tape which doesn't have any padding.
    Bulked out the grip with it & it feels really solid until you put your final outer grip.

I've now Switched back to smaller grip sizes now to get more leverage on pinkie grip.