Training with a training badminton racket.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Simone_olivelli, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Simone_olivelli

Simone_olivelli Regular Member

How many times do you use it in a week?
    Every day?

How many minutes do you use it in a train session?

2. jerby

jerby Regular Member

depends for each individual...
    I like using it for warming up. and some drills (though not that much in a regular session).
    even in your room you can do short netkills/short drive...

time of use: until you start to feel the burn:eek: if you want to be able to play afterwards...if you don't have to play anymore: keep going until you don't feel your arm anymore..then do 10 reps, then stop;):D

3. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    Typically, we use squash racquets for wallpractice, but don't use training racquets so we preserve the feel of our racquet in order not to mess up our precision (if you're hitting shots on the line now, screwing that up is not a great risk to take).

We are supposed to do 3-4 times a week of five minutes with the squash racquet followed by five with a regular racquet. Same thing with practicing static overhand clears and other strokes, but never hitting a bird except in wall practice. Barely anyone actually does this, though.

4. Simone_olivelli

Some professional player train with training racket!!!

5. westwood_13

Student
    Many do!

It's just different schools of thought. I don't know which is better than another, but I personally am not willing to risk losing my 'touch' for improved strength which can be accomplished through other means.

6. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

My main racket is a -4 U at 120g. This saves me getting a seperate training racket. I train and play at the same time, since I am too lazy to do the training seperately. So, on average, I use my "training" racket in about 25 games a week.

#6 CoolDoo6, Jan 3, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2007
  7. Simone_olivelli

In my opinion 10 minutes can't change your touch.

8. westwood_13

Student
    You're probably right. I'm just paranoid.

9. jerby

jerby Regular Member

why would a trainign racket screw your touch..but a squashracket is fine?:confused:

honestly, switching over isn't really a pain...I play 5-10 min with my SP, switch over to my 2U. and mess up the first shot...then everythign is cool..

are you even slightly familiar with the concept of resistance training?
    :pbesides, you said you don't train...;)

10. westwood_13

Student
    Well a training racquet would be better for wallpractice and static shots than a squash racquet, I'm just not willing to put out the cash and buy one heh.

I should clarify. What I'm trying to say this our coach recommends using a weighted racquet of some type several times a week for short, intense bursts in static or wallpractice situations, but not in actual gameplay, simulated gameplay, or hitting the bird in other formats than wallpractice.

11. jerby

jerby Regular Member

ahhh, now I see...
    well, most of my training-racket-training looks a lot like wall-hitting...but then with a sparring partner:p

But I'll never play a doubles/singles game with TR..I'll hurt myself:eek:

12. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

I am more into resistance reduction through decreasing MOI. But given the weight of my racket, I can hardly avoid this resistance training.

So far, I had to conclude resistance training sux. I was able to hit harder when I changed to a lighter racket. But hiting harder also caused an injury that put me out of action for 3 weeks. I am having to ban myself from using a light racket to prevent futher injurous damage even as of now - 6 weeks after the initial injury.

13. jerby

jerby Regular Member

I'll take that as a no...

Resistance training is a form of practise where you have to put in more effort in order to increase you level (Ie: boxers practissing with wrist-weights, sprinters running with an elastic band around their weist and badminton players usign a heavier racket than they're used to).
    Resistance training forces you to do an activity at 110%, in order to increase what 100% used to be...
    In short: if you keep using your normal racket to swing faster and faster (normal), your strength won't incease as much as when you try to accelarate a heavier racket...that's the idea...

to take it to specific cases: the 5U lovers among us might use a 2U, or U racket as "training racket".
    you, with your 120grams, will still benifit from using a 160grams racket...

WARNING: using a training racket and swinging it with the wrong technique will lead to injury... especially things like panhandeling can seriously mess up your joints...

1) that's nto resistance training
    2) you might want to have somebody look at your technique...it might save you a world of trouble..but that's a different topic...

14. jerby

jerby Regular Member

back again, talked to my coach. He said soem interestign things about trainign with a trainign racket:

keep it as close to abdminton as possible: do 15s excersise (smashing/driving/smashresturns) witht he heavy one. switch back to your real racket, back and forth.
    he thinsk that's best because you are training your fast twitch muscles. and gave an example: if you want to sprint fast you don't go practising a "10min sprint".
    same with this, use it for short periods where you try to swing fast (you swing X m/s with your nromal racket, the try the same with the weighted one) if you use it longer you'll be working on stamina, and start swinging slower ( <X )

found ti quite interesting...

15. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    training rackets? you mean just those which are extremely heavy?

16. Lobber

Lobber Regular Member

I use a b450 racket as a training racket.
    What i do is to
    jump smash 30times ,
    Defensive Lift Left/Right 20times each side
    Backhand overarm 20times.
    This is considered as one set.

I used to use it for warm-up before a game until i realise that it better to have your main racket for warm-up.

17. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    lol same as me, but seldom use it now, last time holidays need not sleep early so I always practice with it during midnight to get my backhand strength and sometime forehand