Places to play in PA

Discussion in 'USA East' started by BLang, Jan 3, 2007.

1. BLang

BLang Regular Member

Student
    Hi! My name is Brittnay. I am trying really hard to find people who live in either NJ or PA to play with. I live in Bucks County, PA, very close to Trenton NJ. Please contact me if your interested, also if you know a good place to play

-Brittnay:)

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    How far you are from Princeton University? Heard they have a club over there, not sure if open to public or not. I know their gym is very good. :p

3. BLang

BLang Regular Member

Student
    Good idea

Yea that's a good idea. It's not that far by train. I will try to find out if the gym is open to the public or not (even so, I don't know how they would know if I am a student or not. hehe) Thanks

-Brittnay

4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Some links of places to play in PA, for a start..

BLang/Brittnay, i'm not from the area, but as LazyBuddy had suggested(he's a good source of information for locating places to play in the North East), that's a good starting place of play..Or you can dig in thru these other threads:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26863
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32739
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23845

Or if not satisfied, you can search thru these 2 links(they have a good slew of places to play bu not sure if those places are still in service or not:p):
    http://www.northeastbadminton.net/Where2PlayList.asp
    http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Loge/7554/links1.html

or do a search under this sub-forum..bunch of threads on NJ's places to play..;)

If you do find a place to play, bring your friends along..and if they are not familiar with badminton, yet, well, it's a good time for you to introduce the game to them..Good luck & have fun!!;) :cool:

#4 ctjcad, Jan 3, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2007
  5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Check http://www.princeton.edu/~campusre/club/clubcontacts.html for badminton club contact information. For gym access, seems they will request you to swipe your student ID to get in. However, many university facilities are open to public (limited time and program), if you pay the "visitor fee" at the front desk.

Contact them for more detail. ;)

6. shreky

shreky Regular Member

i used to play in princeton university when they had the badminton pass but they cancelled that and they're much stricter now.

to get in, you have to be a student/faculty and you have to swipe your id at the turnstile. there is an option though for the general public to buy the yearly facility pass of $770 (this is for all the facilities in the gym - pool, weight room, squash, basketball, volleyball, pingpong, etc). you can also use in the track and skating rink. if you live near princeton then this is not a bad deal. they sell the pass in june. no pro-rate if you join past june (i.e. if you join now you still have to pay $770 and it will expire in june).

the other way to get in is to be sponsored by a student/faculty/or someone who has the yearly pass. if you're being sponsored, you have to pay $10 each time you come in.

the badminton schedule is wednesdays (7-9), saturdays 1-3, sundays (12-3). for this spring semester wednesdays is still out. so only sat and sun. however, during school breaks you can use the courts if they're available. also, if nobody is waiting on the courts during the scheduled time slots then you can start earlier or stay later.

the princeton gym is a really good place to play (high ceiling) but just too hard to get in. btw, they have 3 courts. if you've been to the NJ open then you know how the place looks like.

#6 shreky, Jan 5, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2007
  7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    They only open 3 courts??? :eek: Too bad. In NJ Open, they open 12 courts (of course, most are taped). Hope that's not too crowded, though. :cool:

8. BLang

BLang Regular Member

Student
    Thanks!

Thanks so much. I managed to finally get onto usabadminton...I found a public club in Bryn Mawr...little less then an hour away. It only costs $7 from 8-10 on Tuesdays and Thursday..Im probably gonna go next Thursday. So that's perfect.

Also I called Princeton..they told me I had to by a half-year membership for their gym for $400. So...as much as I'd like to have money I can spend like that...I don't haha.

Thanks so much! :D

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Also, some local high school or colleges might have open gym for badminton (not necessarily to be USAB registered). Just need to look and ask around. ;)

10. alqote

alqote New Member

I used to play for Penn State Badminton Club. You could join them every Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday from 7 to 9 pm. I'm not sure for far it is from your place, but last time they got really good players there. Most of them are from Asia.