Player's Personality - A Chinese Zodiac Perspective

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by cooler, Jan 3, 2007.

1. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    As we all have read those emotional exchange of opinions among our favorite players. Often, I see a completely opposite view of some opinions made by others (namely TH fans) and of course, they see differently of my opinions as well. Even with some examples given on certaincharacter behavior, sometimes these examples were overlooked as an isolated incident or exception to that player's normal behavior.

In order to give another leverage to my previous opinions, I am resorting to the chinese zodiac to assess certain players personal behavior. Yes, one can say zodiac and astrology are bunch of bolonga but here i am profiling 3 high profile players to show that the prediction consistency is so pronounce that one can't fluff it off as luck prediction or just coincident. Remember that the chinese zodiac had be around for around 2 thousand years so we can't say they are completely useless or else the chineses have change or dump it long ago. They are many interpretation of each of the 12 animals in the chinese zodiac but i will use 2 sources just for convenience so not to overdo my illustration: wikipedia and http://www.travelchinaguide.com/intro/social_customs/zodiac/index.htm
    No one interpretation will be 100% accurate but by quoting 2 sources this should provide a generally overall more accurate picture of a person

I am profiling taufik, lin dan and xie xing fang.

I will start on Taufik because he seem to be most popular here:D

When the media reported that TH say LD is arrogant, this sparked a deeper look into this guy because i alway see him as the arrogant type and LD as a timid and reserve person.

Taufik was born on August 10, 1981, a metal rooster.

I will let the writing from the 2 listed sources do profiling of TH.
    I will underline the pronounce personality or traits.
    My comment in brackets.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.travelchinaguide.com/intro/social_customs/zodiac/index.htm
    Year of the Rooster - 1921, 1933, 1945, 1957, 1969, 1981, 1993, 2005, 2017, 2029, 2041, 2053

The rooster is almost the epitome of fidelity and punctuality. For ancestors who had no alarm clocks, the rooster's crowing was significant, as it could awaken people to get up and start to work. Another symbolic meaning the rooster carries is exorcising evil spirits. People used to worship ancestors and believed in fortune telling for a long time.

Roosters are considered to be honest, bright, communicative, ambitious and warm-hearted. They might be enthusiastic about something quickly, but soon might be impassive. They have strong self-respect and seldom rely on others. As most roosters are born pretty or handsome, they might have several loves in their lives, treating each lover seriously. If they can overcome their arrogance, they will make more progress.

Best match: ox, dragon, snake; avoid: rooster, dog, rabbit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_(zodiac)
    People born in the year of the Rooster are usually very observant (TH has the best ability to read and anticipate opponents, that's why TH look like he's not doing much movement on court) . They are brave, resilient, sexy, and tenacious but can also be quite self-absorbed, pretentious, and overly romantic. Most of the time, they are very accurate and precise with their observation.
    These people certainly love to find themselves in the spotlight, they love entertaining friends and adore meeting new people, and even unexpected and uncertain circumstances are not a barrier for them.
    It is almost impossible to find someone born in this year looking dowdy or untidy. These people are usually the best dressed and groomed of all other people. They are actively interested in clothes, colours, and accessories, and are usually very critical of their own appearance as well as of the appearance of those around them. People born in the year of the Rooster like to be noticed and flattered. Such a person might dress a little flashily with this in mind, but in his heart, he/she is completely conservative. Roosters always appear attractive and beautifully turned out. They are sociable and love to receive attention. Others may criticize them for being exhibitionists but they are compassionate, wise, and have a brave nature which comes to the fore when others need their help, makes up that deficiency.

It is difficult for these people to accept advice because of their strong independent spirit (his coach or no coach, disagree with pbsi, line judges, etc). These people are often confident in their own judgements and choices. There are times when these people may be too straight-forward which can cause some problems in relationships with others. So it would be wise sometimes not to express their opinions in order to keep the peace.

The ideal job for a rooster is a doctor, lawyer.

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Ld

LD was born on October 14, 1983, a water pig

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/newreply.php
    Year of the Pig - 1923, 1935, 1947, 1959, 1971, 1983, 1995, 2007, 2019, 2020, 2031, 2043

A pig is not as smart as a dog in understanding human thought. It likes sleeping and eating and becomes fat. Thus it usually features laziness and clumsiness. On the positive side, it behaves itself, has no calculation to harm others, and can bring affluence to people. Consequently, pigs were once regarded as wealth.

People born in the Year of the Pig are honest and frank. They have a calm appearance and strong heart, but they lack patience and independence. As they do not like to talk in a roundabout way, they are thought to be unsociable. Luckily, they are tolerant and optimistic, so not until they become your friends can their virtue, advantages and fidelity to friendship be found.
    Best match: sheep, rabbit; avoid: snake, pig, monkey

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_(zodiac)
    The Pig type is usually an honest, straightforward and patient person. He/she is a modest, shy character who prefers to work quietly behind the scenes. When others despair, he/she is often there to offer support. This type of person is reserved with those they do not know too well, but as time passes and they gain confidence, those around them may discover a lively and warm-hearted person behind that mask of aloofness. Despite those born in the year of pig having a wide circle of friends and acquaintances, they have few close friends who understand them and share their inner thoughts and feelings. It is easy to put trust in pig type; he/she won't let you down and will never even attempt to do so. Such people simply want to do everything right according to social norms.( ie. a good soldier)
    It is important to remember that these people are not vengeful creatures. If someone tries to take advantage of him/her, the pig type tend to withdraw to reflect on the problem and protect themselves. All they need in such situations is a little time to find a constructive way to respond. The people of the pig type are conservative creatures of habit. They dislike being made to travel too far from familiar surroundings, unless it is a trip to the country. They love nature and are never happier than when they are out somewhere, far from the city.

There is a tolerant and peaceful side to their character. Such people are never afraid to allow others their freedom of expression; they do not want to cause arguments and if there is any way to avoid arguing, they will probably take this option. They are not weak, however, and if the situation forces them to fight these people will rise to the occasion, whether it is to defend themselves or those close to them. People of the Pig type are the most admired by others.

(remember that LD avoided and then play down TH's arrogant statement)

#2 cooler, Jan 3, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2007
  3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

XXF was born on January 8th 1981. a metal monkey

Year of the Monkey - 1920, 1932, 1944, 1956, 1968, 1980, 1992, 2004, 2016, 2028, 2040, 2052

The monkey is a clever animal. People used to compare it to a smart person. During the Spring and Autumn Period (770 BC – 476 BC), the dignified official title, marquis with the pronunciation 'Hou', was the same as the monkey's. The monkey was thereby bestowed with auspicious meaning. It appeared on pictures pasted on the walls and doors to predict good fortune in officialdom.

Most people born in the Year of the Monkey are lively, flexible, and versatile. They love moving and sports. To help others they put their own business aside. When communicating, they do not like to be controlled and have a strong desire to present themselves. In their work, they will show amazing creativity. If they are not impatient and mouthy, they can gain more achievement.

Best match: rat, dragon; avoid: tiger, snake, pig

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_(zodiac)
    The Monkey is the most versatile sign of the Chinese zodiac. Such people are often inventors, plotters, entertainers and the creative geniuses behind anything ingenious, including mischief. They have natural quick-wittedness which enables them to understand what is happening and then make a right decision. Even during a conversation a person born in this year is aware of what is going on around him/her, and then makes a mental note of who said what and stores it away for future reference. In general, with their agile minds and multiple talents, monkey type of people can master any subject. They are reliable and honest people so that any secret is safe in their hands. These people are also honest in their dealings. Monkey people are very good at problem-solving. Monkeys know how to listen closely and work out solutions at the same time.

Although these people are trustworthy and unlikely to hurt someone out of spite, they would never let people escape if they have behaved badly or damaged monkey's reputation. (Remember how XXF spoke out publicly in defence of LD on TH's allegation of LD's arroganceness, and likely an attack on her as well?) Their stamina and determination to achieve their main goals can make these people appear vain or manipulative. It means that monkey type of people should be careful so not to damage their friendships. It is important to remember for this type of people that it would be wiser sometimes not to pursue their goals and simply let things pass.

Monkeys have flexible principles and serene self-confidence so they are completely content; but they usually manage to complicate the lives of others. After yet another plan or project has gone wrong, they are seldom there to help clean up the disorder and confusion that they leave in their wake. Monkeys can handle that too; with their charm and persuasiveness they can make people believe that just knowing them is a privilege!

#3 cooler, Jan 3, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2007
  4. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

hahaha, interesting thread indeed.
    although i find it hard to believe these zodiac claims sometimes, they are often written so generically that it bits of it will apply to almost everyone.
    still interesting to read nonetheless.

5. cheongsa

cheongsa Regular Member

Assistant Professor
    Hey, not fair!

... cooler underline all the predictions that match observed traits, and turned a blind eye to predictions that do not match.

If we assign a score of +1 to every correctly matched trait, and -1 to every incorrectly matched trait, astrological predictions score 0 on the average.

Now how's that for predictive power?

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

the traits that i didn't underlined are those traits that are not publicly known yet. I never said zodiac or astrology are scientific or fact proven interpretaton.

how about this deal, u add up the points to the right predictions, give zero to unknowns, and give negative points that are known to be incorrect, i bet u it wouldn't come to zero but a positive number. As a science based person myself, i dare you to say science can explain everything in the universe.

Don't criticize a prediction or theory when one themself can't provide a better prediction/theory or provide an opposing prediction/theory. You, as a science base person, should know this basic protocol.

#6 cooler, Jan 4, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2007
  7. Glacyus

Glacyus Regular Member

Sure he can Cooler - if he wanted to he could come up with Cheongsa's amazing astrology and predict every trait of the Chinese calendar as exact opposite. True, it is a ridiculous thing to do but now that we have an opposing theory, what makes the Chinese one more valid?

It is impossible to me to believe that tens of millions of people born in the same year share exact traits. Hell, I've known many people my age with opposing personalities.

8. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Actually one can get more in depth with Astrology... both Chinese and Western one.

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

lack of understanding of a particular subject or theorem does not make that subject or theorem invalid. Can u understand that? (this is a question of awareness, not a personal attack).

btw, did u evaluate behaviors of all tens of millions of people before drawing to your conclusion?

#9 cooler, Jan 4, 2007
  10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

life goes on, so onto cooler's next profiling.

Li Yongbo
    Birthdate Sept 18, 1962 - A water tiger

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_(zodiac)
    Tiger people are difficult to resist, for they are magnetic characters and their natural air of authority confers a certain prestige on them. They are tempestuous yet calm, warm-hearted yet fearsome, courageous in the face of danger yet yielding and soft in mysterious, unexpected places. They enjoy life full of challenges and unexpected events, like visiting unusual places and meeting interesting outstanding people. Other people in their area are easily attracted by the tiger's enthusiasm and course of life. Tigers find pleasure in the unpredictable, and while other people would rather make a backward step, they are not afraid to explore the new and unusual. But it is not that simple to interest the Tiger. What they really need is first-hand experience. Usually open and frank, these people are likely to withdraw and can be aggressive when trapped. As soon as the Tiger has regained their sense of security their confidence also returns, enabling them to set out once more. (explains why he's nice to familar reporters and obnoxious with unfamiliar reporters). These people usually tend to trust their instincts, though there is another side of their personality, which assesses situations thoughtfully before they launch any actions. Their friends usually secretly admire their determination and optimism, though sometimes may find it complicated to share the Tiger's enthusiasm and can be pushed away and left behind. In spite of the fact that Tigers can be courageous and generous friends, if they are not able to achieve what they want, they can be inflexible and self-centered**. So if your friend was born in the year of the Tiger, there will be highs and lows in your friendship, but the friendship itself will remain firm.

**(Lee claimed unfair tactics were used. "The Chinese coach shouted at me during the match and threatened to break my legs, and that isn't acceptable. It was a psychological tactic to upset me," he said.)
    (no psychological tactic, LYB was just being himself)

Ideal jobs for tigers include entrepreneur, military officer (to soldier lin dan :D), politician, musician, writer, poet, artist, theater director, stockbroker, athlete, film star, trade union leader, company director, stunt person, explorer, and lawyer.

Year of the Tiger - 1914, 1926, 1938, 1950, 1962, 1974, 1986, 1998, 2010, 2022, 2034, 2046

Tigers, considered to be brave, cruel, forceful and terrifying, are the symbol of power and lordliness. In ancient times, people usually compared emperors or grandees with the tiger. Court officials often said that 'accompanying the emperor is just like being at the side of a tiger'. There are also many legends on hunting tigers dealing with struggling against evil might.

People born in the year of the tiger are tolerant, staunch, valiant, and respected. In their middle age, their fate may be uneven, but afterwards will enjoy a bright prospect. Their shortcoming is to project themselves before others. But most women under the tiger sign are intelligent, faithful and virtuous.

Best match: horse, dog; avoid: snake, monkey

#10 cooler, Jan 4, 2007
  11. Glacyus

Glacyus Regular Member

Sure I can understand that. But turning to divination based on heavenly bodies and the calendar is not much of a theorem. It is just another attempt at explaining reality through mysticism and concurrence of unrelated natural events.

Truth - I didn't know much about the system itself, but the very premise of fantastical explanations for our surroundings doesn't appeal to me. However, upon further reading, I find your counterpoint quite hilarious in that it just about disproves the whole reason for this thread. I see there are several permutations in the Chinese zodiac that are not taken into account by the general "pop-astrology" descriptions given by you based on year of birth alone. Most glaring is that true personality of an individual is determined by the time of birth, not the year.

So yes, when a previous poster pointed out that you underlined only that which fits he was right. One can always "underline" some predictions from astrology, which I guess is its saving grace - a source of advice for self-improvement.

12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i was only using the term theorem as an example. Feel free and replace it with a 'black hole'. I had clearly stated that zodiac are neither scientific nor fact based.

U were just as hilarious. First u diss the application of zodiac but later in the same paragraph u gave advice on way improving its use LOL

hmmm, that 'previous' poster didn't took up my challenge of ranking the validity of various zodiac associated with TH, LD and XXF using his proposed ranking methodology, 1 point for behavioral matchup, 0 for neutral or unknown, and -1 for incorrect matching. To simplify his task, he can just do it with one source, wikipedia interpretation. I'm still waiting...

Lastly, I gather that u would be an Ox :p

#12 cooler, Jan 5, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2007
  13. Glacyus

Glacyus Regular Member

Heh, no point in arguing over such a trivial subject. However, I did not advise to have it improved, just that it has a saving grace in that people who believe in it can improve themselves through self-suggestion.

Yep, the age in my profile does make me an ox. ;)

14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

really? I based on your behavioral pattern : stubborness:D :p

looking at your profile now, a rat can also fall within your age bracket too but i can see ur no rat.:)

15. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

OK, so anyone willing to study and find out..

..what will be the fate of arguably BWF's top 2 MS players:
    LinDan and Taufik for this yr??..
    -Will Taufik finally win the AE??..
    -Will LinDan be able to carry his team and defend the Sudirman Cup in Scotland??..
    -Will LinDan defend his World Championship title & repeat as champion later this yr in M'sia??..
    -And who will win & get the last laugh in the Grand Prix Super Series Finale at the end of the yr??..

2007 looks to be LinDan's yr, but with Fire Pig/Boar as it's zodiac sign, will it be GOOD luck or BAD luck??..:rolleyes:;)

What does the Chinese Astrological Calendar say abt both of them for this yr??..:rolleyes: :p :D ;) :cool:

#15 ctjcad, Jan 5, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2007
  16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

tiger feel trapped by surrounding indo fans :D

Badminton: Yongbo to be cautioned for inciting Indon fans
    06 Jan 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    CHINA chief coach Li Yongbo will be cautioned by the Badminton World Federation (BWF) for provoking Indonesian fans during the Doha Asian Games men’s team event last month.

Yongbo was engaged in a verbal confrontation as well as making gestures to the Indonesians after China’s first doubles pair Fu Haifeng-Cai Yun were beaten by Markis Kido-Hendra Setiawan to tie the semi-final 1-1.

China went on to win the tie 3-1 but Yongbo’s actions were against BWF’s code of conduct as players and officials are not allowed to confront fans.

BWF deputy president Datuk Punch Gunalan said he was not aware of the incident but action will be taken if Yongbo is found guilty.

"I was not aware of the incident and I will speak to Yongbo during the Malaysia Open to get his side of the story," said Gunalan.

"BWF does not condone behaviour which jeopardises its image and we will make sure that such incidents don’t take place. Indonesia did not make an official protest on the incident but we will look into the matter."

17. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    My 2 cents opinion...if TH focus on AE07 like he did in AG06 and not play too many Opens so as not wear himself out, TH has a good chance of winning AE07. Team China with a strong and balanced team will win Sudirman, who else is there to compete? I bet on LD winning WC07 cos LYB can play game fixing if BCL, LD, CJ and CH play far into the late rounds, really who besides LCW (home ground), TH or PG can challenge him? Grand Prix Super Series Finale, my bet is LD or TH if the focus is on just one tourney and if the venue is MAS then include LCW. If LYB let his players play openly with no game-fixing, I bet on CJ winning OG08 cos 2 years from now, LD is 2 years older (same for LCW and TH) and add 2 years experience to CJ. That is just my take....LOL! :p

18. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    The odds on LD winning WC, SS Opens including AE, etc are very high, with LYB game fixing advantage, giving anyone one CHN player in SF an edge in the game, also LD is the world's best with probably TH able to upset him and of course LCW playing on home soil...If IBF restricts any country to 2 players like AG and draw does not split the 2 players from the same country into opposite halfs (i.e. both these 2 players could end up in the same half of the draw), then that may erase Team CHN advantage, ensuring at most only one player from CHN could make it to the final...not sure how OG rules are regarding how many players allowed per country, if OG rules is similar to WC, then my safe bet is on China in OG08? :rolleyes:

19. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i dont think the chinese zodiac are meant to make specific life prediction or least i'm not trained to do that. U r confusing this with astrology and tara card reading which i'm not familar with. Yes, i have seen chinese astrological calendar before but i'm not familar with that either.

20. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

I understand and...

..oh, no, not asking you to "predict", cooler..It's open to anyone who wants to take a stab at it..;):) ..Btw, i thought zodiacs and astrology(based from astronomy/astronomers) are somewhat, directly or indirectly, interconnected w/each other...:confused: :rolleyes: :p ;)