Approaching the net

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by thatoneaznguy, Jan 3, 2007.

1. thatoneaznguy

thatoneaznguy Regular Member

student
    Whenever I'm playing singles, I do net drops, go back to the center, but I can't seem to approach the net in time to push it, and I end up net drop it again. Any ideas and/or hints to help me out?

2. bryant

bryant Regular Member

student
    your not suppose to go back to the center after you net drop.
    Just make a small hop back and wait for the shot.

3. mettayogi

mettayogi Regular Member

I watched how LD and TH, and they step back around the short service line, not much mementum going backward. If there is chance for net kill, jump with one lag landing and one leg following.

4. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    I had this exact problem for a while during highschool. I play a netshot only to not be able to get back to it in time when it was dropped back. What I do now (though i still screw up a lot because I favor my backhand way too much) is take small steps backwards keeping the net a pounce away. I also try to not think when I'm up there and let my instincts react after i load my legs.

5. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    The answer is simple. If you are good at the back, both forehand and backhand ala Taufik, you can park yourself near the net. If you are weak at the back then park yourself nearer the back. If you have the correct footwork, it is not a problem going back or going front with one, two or at the most 3 steps.

6. jerby

jerby Regular Member

or the other way around:
    if you are fast to the backcourt: don't step back a lot
    if you're good at the net: take a step further back (opponent think "heh, I'll do a netshot") to lure opponent into the game.
    if you're good at the net, and keep standing there. the opponent will quickly think "I'm not gonna play his game"

exception: when your netshot was high-quality (tight, short, opponent hás to take it below the net) keep you position, lift your racket up, and prepare for the kill;)

7. Alaric

Alaric Regular Member

IT Consultant
    Yeah just chasse back to about the short service line, but make sure that you keep your racquet leg forward so you can pounce on any net returns! :)

8. Glacyus

Glacyus Regular Member

9. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

That demonstrates the forehand brush net kill, which is a rather advanced technique and only necessary for the most ultra-tight kills.

Good fun, though :) Can also be played on the backhand.

10. Glacyus

Glacyus Regular Member

Truth, but I figure practicing that drill will naturally improve your reaction time around the net whether it's kill or push. I'd surmise the main lesson is taking the shuttle as high as possible.

11. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    The other way around is wrong, because this means the opposite, which it is not. What you have restated is another way of explaining it.:)

12. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    the right way is not to turn ur right leg back, but to jump backwards slightly(racket foot still front) . if opponent lifts, turn body with big step. if opponent net, can pounce....i'm not really clear of this so if i'm wrong pls correct me :D

13. jerby

jerby Regular Member

wtf?
    I can't make out what you mean...because I described to situations (3 if you consider the alternative)...

:phow about an argument?;)

14. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    I don't have much time to get into detail, must run off to my match, but here's what I think is going on...

In this circumstance, the vast majority of the time the slowness in reaching the net is due to improper footwork recovery in the back. Make sure that on your stroke you are scissor-kicking (where possibly, which is in most cases) and not delaying in your direct running back to the centre. Be sure you're turning your body to get through the motion. If this is executed properly, you'll find yourslef getting to those net shots with a lot more time.

Of course, there are circumstances when hitting overheads where you do not scissor-kick... the backhand and the deep forehand. However, these are shots you are 'digging' out and are behind anyway, so you're not at an extra disadvantage.

Hope that helped.

15. thatoneaznguy

thatoneaznguy Regular Member

student
    I also have a same problem with, when I'm at the middle, my oponent net drops and it's high enough for a kill, but when I get to it, I'm forced to a net drop.
    Anymore hints?

16. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    This would probably be a combination of slow reaction time and lack of explosive power. It's definitely a problem I have, which I've been working on. To increase your speed to net for situations like this, I suggest you do multi-shuttle drills. Have a friend stand on the other side, perhaps 25-30 birds to start, and fling them on either side, high, and you must get to the shot and catch the bird as high as possible. Make sure, however, that you aren't overemphasizing the speed, and that your friend/coach is allowing you time to recover all the way back to the middle... because only going part way will compromise what you're trying to do with the drill, although it's a common habit to fall into.

Good luck!

17. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    You need good reaction time. This is twofold.
    1. you need to anticipate then act on your opponent doing a netshot. Even if parked 1 lunge away from the net, if the do a 'semi-tight' net shot you wont be able to push it w/o good reation time.
    2. being park one lunge away from the net is the most effective place to push a netshot from because your just far enough away to footwork your way into hitting a deep clear, but just close enough to do a push. What happens when your opponent does an attacking clear/ an underhand drive? Then you need your reaction time to be able to intercept the birdie before it reaches the back, because it'll probably reach there before you do.