Chong Ming looks forward to fruitful partnership with Hoon

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by Dreamzz, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

Chong Ming looks forward to fruitful partnership with Hoon
    By LIM TEIK HUAT

PETALING JAYA: He may have bagged a title in his first attempt with a new partner – but seasoned doubles player Chan Chong Ming is keeping his feet firmly on the ground.
    Chong Ming and Hoon Thien How clinched their first victory when they beat national champions Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari-Lin Woon Fui in straight games in the KL Open final last month.
    Chong Ming, however, believes the real test will come when they start competing at international level, beginning with the Malaysian Super Series in Kuala Lumpur from Jan 15-21.
    “Winning the KL Open is a good start to our partnership. But this is just the local circuit and most of the top players may not be at their best, having just returned from the Asian Games,” said Chong Ming, who said their immediate priority would be to qualify for the World Championships in Malaysia later this year.
    [​IMG] Moving on: Chan Chong Ming (right) and Hoon Thien How in action at the KL Open last month. They won the title in their first outing and are now eager to prove themselves at international level.
    The qualification process has already started and the Malaysian pair need to put in a lot of work to make the cut.
    Most of the major Opens have been incorporated into the Badminton Super Series, which kicks off this year with 12 legs. The main draw for the singles and doubles will only comprise players in the top 32 of the world rankings list.
    Chong Ming and Thien How are currently unranked and unlike the other new pairing of Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong, who captured the Asian Games doubles title in Doha recently, have not even competed at international level.
    “The Malaysian Super Series will be our first international event but we have to play in the qualifying round because of our current position. We do not have any ranking points. Only four pairs get to qualify for the main draw, so we have to fight hard.
    “Our hope is to do well in the first few tournaments and see how it goes from there,” said Chong Ming, who partnered Kien Keat to win the Malaysian Open last year.
    Chong Ming’s two-year-old partnership with Kien Keat came to an end when he was left out of the Asian Games squad due to a loss in form.
    Doubles coach Rexy Mainaky then paired Kien Keat with Boon Heong and the gamble paid off when the pair ended a 36-year wait for an Asian Games gold medal in Doha.
    Although disappointed at first at having to start all over again with a new partner, Chong Ming has now come to terms with the decision.
    “Besides the World Championships, I hope to qualify for the Olympics for the second time with my new partner. “My focus now is to improve on our combination,” said the 27-year-old Chong Ming.

2. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

it'll be interesting to see who performs better after the split, CCM/HTH or KKK/TBH.
    KKK/TBH has already shown that they can perform against international pairs by winning gold in doha and reaching the finals of the japan open, now it's CCM/HTH's turn to show their worth after winning the KL open.

3. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Both pairs are equally good. But i would give a slightly higher rating to KKK/TBH. Maybe a 55% advantage over CCM/HTH.

4. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

but then CCM/HTH bt LWF/MF who in turn bt KKK/TBH in the recent KL open, right?
    but yeah, i guess 55-45 in favour of KKK/TBH might be just about right.
    how are they doing in training, do they play against each other a lot?

5. ants

ants Regular Member

Yup they do play and spar against each other. But i'm happy that CCM/HTH is looking foward to their new partnership.

6. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    Ya...I am very eager to see our players in action this month..Hopefully all of them will play their best..

7. ants

ants Regular Member

Hope they will play their best too...

8. tjl_vanguard

tjl_vanguard Regular Member

Student
    somehow i just feel that Msia MD is strong enough to take on the international field and bag more MD titles as well..

9. haifeng4ever

haifeng4ever Regular Member

Yup, we've got like 5 pairs in top 10. That's a great achievement. :D :D :D

10. tjl_vanguard

tjl_vanguard Regular Member

Student
    yes!! its a great achievement!!! but don't forget that ranking doesn't mean anything much ok.... just as an example... Tony/Candra... tats a great example isn't it haha

11. emmsfan

emmsfan Regular Member

Student
    What's so bad/good about Tony-Candra???