User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lauren Todt fell ill overnight and didn't play any matches, withdrawing from the XD semis as well as WS third place match. She just warmed up and took one serve before bowing out of the WD finals (more for show for the audience) versus Lee/Mangkalakini. She was in the bathroom the entire time.

Lee won a tightly contested match against Lili Zhou, both ended up on the final women's squad along with Todt and Mangkalakini.

Go came back with a vengance after going down early against Jinadasa in the MS, easily winning the second set.

Bach/Malathong took the MD final with relative ease, they were having some fun

Bach/Lee took the XD in straight sets over Malaythong/Mangkalakini.

The exhibition was really the highlight of the entire day, Gunawan/Malaythong partnered up to defeat Bach/Chandra for one set, before switching partners, where Gunanwan/Bach came back from 4 points down to beat Malaythong/Chandra. Sound effects, yelling, and showmanship to the extreme, lots of laughs and smashing all the way round.
    Last edited by monto; 02-04-2007 at 05:36 PM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

thanks guys for the report. here is the official photo of the winners:

(Lauren Todt, Eva Lee, Mesinee Mangkalakiri, Lili Zhou, Eric Go, Nicholas Jinadasa, Bob Malaythong, Howard Bach)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it would be great if ggbc can post all the draws and game results on their web or here for sharing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sumbadder
    Ziwei might not be playing cause he only moved here a year ago, and there might be some rules laid out by the USAB that don't let him? Just a guess....
    Zi Wei from UBC, our own coaches, Chandra, Radu and Guo Jinsong, all could not play becos of their US status so actually there are many many great players, and growing, in the US now but becos of their US status, are not able to represent USA as of yet. These players, I'm sure, will be playing in our next GG / UCB open probably sometimes in the latter of the year, becos it will also be a ranking tournament.

The man in the photo is Kamal and is our GG member. He is a very good player for someone who just plays about once a week. He is good friends with Mike and he is one good sport as when he does come he doesn't want to leave. Even after we close he will try to get Mike to keep playing .

Sally

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by monto
    Thanks kwun. Both flights look mighty interesting, I wonder where the fellow who did so well at the GGBC/UBC tourney last year (2nd place), Zi Wei Qin, is? Anyone know if Lili Zhou is still coaching Lauren Todt, would be a rematch of teacher-student if they reached the finals again.
    >>zi wei was not eligible for this tournament due to his current US status. More detail in my reply above this box. Lili has been coaching in GGBC for almost 4 months now. At the moment we have 5 Coaches, Chandra, Guo Jinsong, Lili Zhou, Radu Malevschi, and Tang Jie Yun (Gwangchou Provincial team Coach)

Sally

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Juicetalk
    it would be great if ggbc can post all the draws and game results on their web or here for sharing
    >>GG website is currently under serious construction, but when we launch and once we get our great photos from Kwun (he is articulate about screening his best work for us!) we will post all photos, draws and results under the "gallery" category. I'm sure Kwun will post photos here as well. Give him some time as he works so hard at the games! It takes a lot of time to edit and get it up on line. I will get the results and post here when I get it. He has a rather demanding day job back in Boston and is often flooded when he returns from a tourny. But he is great so I will wait patiently for the final results!

GGBC does record all its matches and will rent them out to our members for free.

Sally
    Last edited by GGsally; 02-04-2007 at 08:04 PM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GGsally
    >>GG website is currently under serious construction, but when we launch and once we get our great photos from Kwun (he is adamant about his standard and screening his best work for us)
    i already gave the previous tournament's pics to Mike!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Thanks Kwun!

Quote Originally Posted by kwun
    i already gave the previous tournament's pics to Mike!
    OH YES, we got all those from G2 and they have all been chosen and put on our GG website but our website is not DONE yet!! We have given all our info and waiting for completion and then Mikes approval to launch. We can't wait to see the ones from the trials and THank you Kwun once again for taking photos. Cannot be the same without the memories you capture for all of us !!

Sally for GG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default So how was it?

Hello all,

I didn't get to go to those darn games so I was wondering if someone who went daily or whenever could post some fun quips and details about the games which are not related to the matches? How was it having Tony, howard or other great players from US just sitting around chatting with everyone? All the players are friendly so I'm sure alot of people go to chat and take photos with them or something. Anyone join the clinics they were coaching from BC? HOw were those? How was the atmosphere of the crowds cos if there were 200 lookers it must have been really hot cheering in there? I just wanted to know some fun observations of the games, audience participation and GG environment in general ! I want to know everything! Anyone care to impart? BOO HOO!

Sally

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

this was taken during the MD final.

you can see the 2020 Olympics hopefuls sitting on the front row and on their parent's lap.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Howard Bach in action. i feel sorry for that shuttle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I only attended today, the last day of competition, but I found it pretty cold in the facility. Most people were wearing winter jackets, and all the officials/volunteers were wearing GGBC sweatshirts on top of their other clothes to stay warm. I don't know how the HVAC system blows at the gym, but if it doesn't interfere with shuttle flight, I think the audience and players would appreciate it being turned on Several players spent their spare time running laps and other exercises to stay warm.

A few reporters dropped by, one interviewed Mike Yang, Tony Gunawan, and Howard Bach for a radio show of some sort (Bach speaks some Mandarin, apparently!). Another reporter and TV cameraman showed up later on, around the time of MS (if I recall).

The audience were really polite, but a few got up the nerve to take pictures with Tony Gunawan, he was very friendly, as always.

During his MS, XD, and exhibition matches, Howard Bach asked the crowd to cheer him on, that got some laughs (and cheers ).

The exhibition was a lot of fun, long rallies filled with smashes and amazing reflexes!. Right before the start of the match, Howard Bach asked for a crowd member volunteer to act as umpire/scorer, but no one came forward after several requests, so Mike Yang grabbed one of the official umpires--she had fun with all their court antics as well. Bob Malaythong was particularly loud during the last set, (almost like a women's tennis match), trying to disturb the opponents with grunts, only to have his own partner, Chandra, hit into the net several times. This got the crowd laughing a few times.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Eva "never say die" Lee.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Mesinee Mangkalakiri during the MX final.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

shuttle is bad, can i get a new one?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Bob Malaythong flying high.