User Tag List

Page 12 of 583 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 62 112 512 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alfa-2 View Post
    I dont know about OneToughBirdie (not sure if he is a MAS fan).....but as for Jack and me, we're a true Malaysian, and we dont worship CHN MS, just that CHN happens to have better MS than MAS do.

If you truly do know a Malaysian, then you would know how die hard MAS supporter are for their country's players. Just look at how BC is flooded with MAS fans whenever KKK or LCW or any other MAS player is playing. Dont ever doubt us, not even for a second. alright?
    yeah, the rankings would suggest that CHN MS seem to be better .If you look at their past triumphs before Super Series, you 'll realise that their victories have been mostly, if not all, based on wolf pack mentality,ie,as a group. With the SS draws, the group advantage has been dismantled right from R1;the upsets so far indicate that on an individual basis, CHN MS are absolutely vulnerable. Isn't it a coincidence that the 3 SS titles won by CHN MS happen because TH did not turn up?
    I have never considered CHN MS to be superior to LCW, PG, TH and now Boonsak in terms of skills. What CHN MS has been riding on is CONFIDENCE. So if the top 4 non-CHN MS can mix up their play right from the start to prevent or delay CHN MS from getting into cruise mode early, their confidence will slide. Once that happens, CHN MS would not be able to play their badminton.(That's why CJ lost to KL of Singapore.KL has improved but he won because he basically disrupted CJ's normal play to the point where CJ doubted himself.)
    The past records don't count anymore with the SS. 6 SS titles and CHN MS bagged only 3, when they hold 5 of the top 6 WR? That's way short of expectation based on WR. Maybe with 3 of the remaining 6 SS in home ground, the fortunes might change but I doubt so. I see CHN MS not only going downhill but disintegrating. Of course I may be wrong.We'll see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you Ants for the nice photo. LCW is now back and playing aggressively like a "Harimau" (tiger). Another thing that I noticed is that he wore his collar up just like Zhao Jianhua. Maybe Zhao JH is LCW's idol!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ants View Post
    I am back! Says Chong Wei...
    To be more competitive and fitter, LCW needs to put on a few extra pounds just like LD.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pjswift View Post
    ...The past records don't count anymore with the SS. 6 SS titles and CHN MS bagged only 3, when they hold 5 of the top 6 WR? That's way short of expectation based on WR. Maybe with 3 of the remaining 6 SS in home ground, the fortunes might change but I doubt so. I see CHN MS not only going downhill but disintegrating...
    CHN badminton single players are not as good as other dominating sports (like table tennis) as world ranking suggests.

LD won more titles than others just because team-mates helped him in "clearing paths". LD will sure win when both CHN players make to the final because LYB decides the winner. Can u name a tournament when LD beat a non-CHN player in the final?

XXF, two-time World Champions and 3-time All England Gold Medallist, must thank ZN in "eliminating obstacles". I notice many occasions when one of them fell in early round, the other will follow. When one made it to final, so did the other. Either both or none of then made it to the finals. So coincident!

For MAS, LCW can do much better if team-mates like Hafiz and KBH can catch up and be among the top players.

Same to other countries like INA, DEN and even KOR.
    Last edited by robin7; 05-21-2007 at 04:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin7 View Post
    CHN badminton single players are not as good as other dominating sports (like table tennis) as world ranking suggests.

LD won more titles than others just because team-mates helped him in "clearing paths". LD will sure win when both CHN players make to the final because LYB decides the winner. Can u name a tournament when LD beat a non-CHN player?

XXF, two-time World Champions and 3-time All England Gold Medallist, must thank ZN in "eliminating obstacles". I notice many occasions when one of them fell in early round, the other will follow. When one made it to final, so did the other. Either both or none of then made it to the finals. So coincident!

For MAS, LCW can do much better if team-mates like Hafiz and KBH can catch up and be among the top players.

Same to other countries like INA, DEN and even KOR.
    you can't really say that Zhang Ning elimnates obstacles, as it's her and Xie who are almost always in the finals, so no, that's not how it goes. if you mean name a final when Lin Dan beat a none chinese player, easiest i can think of is 2006 All England. Bao lost in 2nd round to Persson from injured ankle. Chen Jin lost in 3rd round. Chen Hong lost in quarters. Lin Dan beat in succession, Wong Choong Hann, Kenneth Jonassen, Lee Chong Wei and then Leee Hyun Il in the finals. hard work. and the only people i can think of who didn't face Lin Dan was Peter Gade. Lin Dan faced almost the whole non-chinese arsenal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Makkem_1 View Post
    Slightly off topic, but yeah, I think OneToughBirdie would get about as many points from me as he would against LCW.... well, an integer figure, but not necessarily positive

Being bashed by your own countrymen? Ah, that's sad. Never mind, just remember you're the badminton equivalent of a Chelsea fan!
    Chelsea won the FA Cup though silly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shifty View Post
    Chelsea won the FA Cup though silly
    Not when I wrote that post they hadn't... I meant glory supporters.

For your sake, I hope you're not as dumb as your posts

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think I meant Chelsea fans aren't liked by any other team, and Chelsea are disliked for trying to vbuy the Prem, - a lot of Chelsea fans just jumped on the bandwagon with Abramovitch... that's what I was comparing OneToughBirdie's love for Chinese MS players to - supporting success.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think I meant Chelsea fans aren't liked by any other team, and Chelsea are disliked for trying to vbuy the Prem, - a lot of Chelsea fans just jumped on the bandwagon with Abramovitch... that's what I was comparing OneToughBirdie's love for Chinese MS players to - supporting success.
    does it matter who likes them? i don't think OneToughBirdie is jumping on the bandwagon. sometimes, it's better to watch badminton from a neutral PoV. it's this dislike for each other and wanting someone to win over someone else so fiercely which ruins badminton. of course, you can choose to support M'sia, but to take that to the next level and attack someone for supporting someone else?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin7 View Post
    To be more competitive and fitter, LCW needs to put on a few extra pounds just like LD.
    Pls, LCW is his own man. LCW does not need to be like LD to win. LD is not the real gold standard. No MS is. LCW is No. 1 in speed;that's probably the most fearful badminton weapon if he knows how to use it well.And if LCW works to be No.1 in netplay,and together with his lethal smash, LCW may be the one to beat.(And if you haven't noticed, LD is not as young or strong as before.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Diversify

Quote Originally Posted by pjswift View Post
    Pls, LCW is his own man. LCW does not need to be like LD to win. LD is not the real gold standard. No MS is. LCW is No. 1 in speed;that's probably the most fearful badminton weapon if he knows how to use it well.And if LCW works to be No.1 in netplay,and together with his lethal smash, LCW may be the one to beat.(And if you haven't noticed, LD is not as young or strong as before.)
    I definately support LCW but LD isnt getting weaker but he is diversifying his game, multiplying his arsenal...

LCW still a one game plan player while LD, TH & PG got multiple style of play!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Again, this is natural for an older player

Look how Taufik has become more defensive and plays a more containing game compared to eg how he played Arby in '99

LD is not going to be able to play a young man's game forever - all that smashing and diving takes its toll. Not a necessarily worse game - just different - his skills will get better as he gets older and his pace will drop off, but that's natural. Be interesting to see how he adapts

LCW has a pace-based game - great. But again, he'll have to find other ways of playing when he gets a bit older... might actually be easier for him to adapt as he never had any real killing weapon and is more an all around player

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Older

LCW has a pace-based game - great. But again, he'll have to find other ways of playing when he gets a bit older... might actually be easier for him to adapt as he never had any real killing weapon and is more an all around player
    Sad to acknowledge... LCW is a year older than LD!!!
    No wonder Missbun said Msia is 6yrs behind CHina & 3 yrs behind INA..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

don't worry, LCW is still the fastest

Need to get Tan Chung Seang and Kuan Beng Hong playing more high pressure games [HH hasn't got the desire and WCH is a bit old now] Lim Kenn/ Liew Daren also look like decent prospects - throw them in in some Surdiman Cup games, it'll pay off in the long run.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How you wished MAS send those younglings and feature them in Sudirman Cup... so England might steal a vital point in MS which is the deciding point and MAS gets delegated. MAS have work so hard to earn a promotion to play in the elite group. NO no no... MAS should send those younglings to more tournaments, not necessary to SS, those satelite ones and Grand Prix ones are good enough. ;p

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Misty100 View Post
    How you wished MAS send those younglings and feature them in Sudirman Cup... so England might steal a vital point in MS which is the deciding point and MAS gets delegated. MAS have work so hard to earn a promotion to play in the elite group. NO no no... MAS should send those younglings to more tournaments, not necessary to SS, those satelite ones and Grand Prix ones are good enough. ;p
    A bit paranoid: I actually forgot M'sia are playing us [and in fact, as we are probably 3'rd ranked I would expect them to play their full strength side ...

England-Malaysia we need the points from our women: Hallam isn't in form and is anyway old so she'll struggle to beat WMC - last year, it would have been a different story. Emms/Kellogg vs your pair, there's very little in that but we can win it - men's doubles we have no chance, men's singles... well, Andrew Smith is our best player, but he's not very popular with our association so might find himself dropped. I think he wouldn't trouble LCW at all: I mean he got raped 11 and 5 against YKB. Basically, he has an inflated ranking and there's no way he's got enough to take down a top 10: bear in mind when he got a set from Lin Dan in TC, i'm not convinced LD really worked hard. He's tactically unsound and if YKB figured him out, so can any player in the top 100.. sadly, we don't make singles players... they're just 'mooks' - quick around the court, hit the shuttle hard but no brain - a computer program with one setting which can be figured out. Robertson/Emms will win so that's 3-2 Malaysia assuming the WD win and Hallam loses.

You're badly overestimating the England men: Blair/Clark are no match for KKK/TBH - in the Commonwealth games a scratch pairing of Wong Choong Hann and someone else took them out... Again, overranked - and I suspect LWW/CTF could also beat them easily. If you wanted to have fun, you could try Chan CHong Ming/ Hoo Thien How: that would be fairly even. So in my book you have 2 points in the bag as long as you play your first or second men's pair and any one of your singles top 5 except possibly HH. We could probably guarantee the mixed, which means the other 2 are the interesting ones. Pessimistically, I think Hallam will lose - WMC is very good.

So it could be done: but Yap Kim Hock won't take the risk because it'd be his job if it went wrong.

...LCW playing means I have split loyalties: He is my favourite player so I'd probably support him... on the grounds that it is one of your 'certain' points: but if it was really close, I'd feel guilty supporting him against my country. Leave him out, and I can cheer for all our team [and sleep through WD!Lol]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

A bit paranoid: I actually forgot M'sia are playing us [and in fact, as we are probably 3'rd ranked I would expect them to play their full strength side ...

England-Malaysia we need the points from our women: Hallam isn't in form and is anyway old so she'll struggle to beat WMC - last year, it would have been a different story. Emms/Kellogg vs your pair, there's very little in that but we can win it - men's doubles we have no chance, men's singles... well, Andrew Smith is our best player, but he's not very popular with our association so might find himself dropped. I think he wouldn't trouble LCW at all: I mean he got raped 11 and 5 against YKB. Basically, he has an inflated ranking and there's no way he's got enough to take down a top 10: bear in mind when he got a set from Lin Dan in TC, i'm not convinced LD really worked hard. He's tactically unsound and if YKB figured him out, so can any player in the top 100.. sadly, we don't make singles players... they're just 'mooks' - quick around the court, hit the shuttle hard but no brain - a computer program with one setting which can be figured out. Robertson/Emms will win so that's 3-2 Malaysia assuming the WD win and Hallam loses.

You're badly overestimating the England men: Blair/Clark are no match for KKK/TBH - in the Commonwealth games a scratch pairing of Wong Choong Hann and someone else took them out... Again, overranked - and I suspect LWW/CTF could also beat them easily. If you wanted to have fun, you could try Chan CHong Ming/ Hoo Thien How: that would be fairly even. So in my book you have 2 points in the bag as long as you play your first or second men's pair and any one of your singles top 5 except possibly HH. We could probably guarantee the mixed, which means the other 2 are the interesting ones. Pessimistically, I think Hallam will lose - WMC is very good.

So it could be done: but Yap Kim Hock won't take the risk because it'd be his job if it went wrong.

...LCW playing means I have split loyalties: He is my favourite player so I'd probably support him... on the grounds that it is one of your 'certain' points: but if it was really close, I'd feel guilty supporting him against my country. Leave him out, and I can cheer for all our team [and sleep through WD!Lol]

I'd say this is a pretty accurate evaluation but a pretty obvious one too. We dont have to look far, just look at the previous Commonwealth games, its always been a women's contest between our two nations. Malaysia will win it 3-2 or 4-1. But if i had to pick one, i'd say the WD are the ones to watch. Hard to say who'd take this match with both pairs raising their game lately. WS, I think WMC will walk all over Hallam. I havent seen Hallam played in any SS so far whereas WMC is in outstanding form especially in the recent IO. I wonder what happened to her.

Ps.. why would you say Andrew Smith isnt popular with BOE?
    Last edited by AyiE666; 05-21-2007 at 03:48 PM.

Page 12 of 583 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 62 112 512 ... LastLast