User Tag List

Page 13 of 590 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 63 113 513 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smith isn't popular because he doesn't play the Nationals, doesn't train with the national setup [which is crap] and therefore baofe can't get any kudos if he does well

I think you're right. Hallam will go down in 3, maybe but WMC is doing all the right things - she started to get it together from commonwealth games on.

I'm annoyed with our national team being so crap but what can you expect when it's only a middle-class thing here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Makkem_1 View Post
    Smith isn't popular because he doesn't play the Nationals, doesn't train with the national setup [which is crap] and therefore baofe can't get any kudos if he does well

I think you're right. Hallam will go down in 3, maybe but WMC is doing all the right things - she started to get it together from commonwealth games on.

I'm annoyed with our national team being so crap but what can you expect when it's only a middle-class thing here.

Haha.. yah well.. its hard to pan out against countries whom considers badminton as their national sport, getting plenty of support from govt & such.

But I think badminton is growing well in the UK. BOE is starting to initiate some great programmes especially for the development towards Olympics 2012 here in London and thats important. But i think they should promote it even at the grass roots, in schools & BUSA instead of just waiting for a big event to pop up. In my opinion, ENG will be a major challenger in MD & WD in the near future like they are now in XD. As for MS, i dont think its anywhere in their agenda for the time being.

Recognition of the sport in major events like the Olympics & CG are important to get tv coverage. I remember how snooker wasnt quite as popular as it is now. But eversince they managed to promote it in the Commenwealth Games (or Asian Games?) a few years back, suddenly you see more tornaments being organised & snooker clubs opening up. I think it'll be the same with badminton courts.

Maybe this is a bad comparison but generally i think thats how the economics of sports work..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A bit paranoid: I actually forgot M'sia are playing us [and in fact, as we are probably 3'rd ranked I would expect them to play their full strength side ...

England-Malaysia we need the points from our women: Hallam isn't in form and is anyway old so she'll struggle to beat WMC - last year, it would have been a different story. Emms/Kellogg vs your pair, there's very little in that but we can win it - men's doubles we have no chance, men's singles... well, Andrew Smith is our best player, but he's not very popular with our association so might find himself dropped. I think he wouldn't trouble LCW at all: I mean he got raped 11 and 5 against YKB. Basically, he has an inflated ranking and there's no way he's got enough to take down a top 10: bear in mind when he got a set from Lin Dan in TC, i'm not convinced LD really worked hard. He's tactically unsound and if YKB figured him out, so can any player in the top 100.. sadly, we don't make singles players... they're just 'mooks' - quick around the court, hit the shuttle hard but no brain - a computer program with one setting which can be figured out. Robertson/Emms will win so that's 3-2 Malaysia assuming the WD win and Hallam loses.

You're badly overestimating the England men: Blair/Clark are no match for KKK/TBH - in the Commonwealth games a scratch pairing of Wong Choong Hann and someone else took them out... Again, overranked - and I suspect LWW/CTF could also beat them easily. If you wanted to have fun, you could try Chan CHong Ming/ Hoo Thien How: that would be fairly even. So in my book you have 2 points in the bag as long as you play your first or second men's pair and any one of your singles top 5 except possibly HH. We could probably guarantee the mixed, which means the other 2 are the interesting ones. Pessimistically, I think Hallam will lose - WMC is very good.

So it could be done: but Yap Kim Hock won't take the risk because it'd be his job if it went wrong.

...LCW playing means I have split loyalties: He is my favourite player so I'd probably support him... on the grounds that it is one of your 'certain' points: but if it was really close, I'd feel guilty supporting him against my country. Leave him out, and I can cheer for all our team [and sleep through WD!Lol]
    YOu have a point there. Btw its scratch pair of Wong Choon Han and Choong Tan Fook who won over Robert Blair/Clark.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pjswift View Post
    (And if you haven't noticed, LD is not as young or strong as before.)
    so's Lee Choong Wei. he's aging too, unless everyone's blind to people aging except Lin Dan cos he's the centre of criticism. the fact is, Gade's aging too, so is Taufik, so is Chen Hong, eveyone's aging. it's called life. the thing is also, Lee Choong Wei's smashes aren't as powerful as some others. powerful as in fast. like taufik. but his smashes are effective cos they land at a good angle. but his smashes aren't as great a threat as some others purely cos of less power.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, Andrew Smith is our best player, but he's not very popular with our association so might find himself dropped.
    why would he get dropped just cos he's unpopular?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bravo!!!!!!after so long,he finally won a title fo himself..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gurvinder View Post
    bravo!!!!!!after so long,he finally won a title fo himself..
    And it is a 6-star Open and being in Indonesia where it is difficult to win for non-Indon too...the fact LCW did not face TH, PG or LD may raise questions about his win, nevertheless LCW needs the win, or any win badly after what a terrible start to 07SS. The positive side, beside the win, is that he is playing excellent badminton, difficult to point out a weakness...hope he can maintain his form at CHN Open SS, where the real test will happen before WC07 in KL. Anyway, perfect timing to get his rhythm back...for badminton fans, with PG and TH aging, it makes for exciting badminton and some challenge to CHN.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote=Shifty;580560]so's Lee Choong Wei. he's aging too, unless everyone's blind to people aging except Lin Dan cos he's the centre of criticism. the fact is, Gade's aging too, so is Taufik, so is Chen Hong, eveyone's aging. it's called life. the thing is also, Lee Choong Wei's smashes aren't as powerful as some others. powerful as in fast. like taufik. but his smashes are effective cos they land at a good angle. but his smashes aren't as great a threat as some others purely cos of less power.
    I have posted comments previously that LCW lack a powerful smash but when I look at the recent IO07, LCW's smash are hard, much better than before...and of course his cross-court smash are deadly when they execute.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

chong wei has a good sensor around court.. he always gets the shuttle wherever he wants it to be... placing.. if u would say tat...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shifty View Post
    so's Lee Choong Wei. he's aging too, unless everyone's blind to people aging except Lin Dan cos he's the centre of criticism. the fact is, Gade's aging too, so is Taufik, so is Chen Hong, eveyone's aging. it's called life. the thing is also, Lee Choong Wei's smashes aren't as powerful as some others. powerful as in fast. like taufik. but his smashes are effective cos they land at a good angle. but his smashes aren't as great a threat as some others purely cos of less power.
    This guy didnt hv the hardest smash unlike LD and TH, but his cross court smashes is among best, or might be even the deadliest. Because utilises his deceptive wristwork well , its hard for the opponent to predict even if they r ready.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good to know that LCW won IO. All the best and hope he will win more!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zqloy View Post
    This guy didnt hv the hardest smash unlike LD and TH, but his cross court smashes is among best, or might be even the deadliest. Because utilises his deceptive wristwork well , its hard for the opponent to predict even if they r ready.
    Agree with you, those cross-courts smashes are wicked, esp if LCW is in top form.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ants told me that LCW's was not in top form when he played against Bao but he played according to his game plan. Still need alot of sharpening and conditioning to do.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by All4Baddy View Post
    Ants told me that LCW's was not in top form when he played against Bao but he played according to his game plan. Still need alot of sharpening and conditioning to do.
    wow, that's frightening. Just like Boonsak defeating LD without playing his best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow, that's frightening. Just like Boonsak defeating LD without playing his best.
    Yes, it is frightening ! Imagine if he gets real fit and follow a game plan, what devastating force can we expect from him ?

Hey Ants, I hope this is all true. Augurs well for the future. Reinforces my view that LCW is something to look forward to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, it is frightening ! Imagine if he gets real fit and follow a game plan, what devastating force can we expect from him ?

Hey Ants, I hope this is all true. Augurs well for the future. Reinforces my view that LCW is something to look forward to.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shifty View Post
    Chronological age is normally used as an indicator of ageing but is not a yardstick anymore. Nowadays they talk in terms of biological age which is measured using tests. So it's not surprising to have a person in their 50s fitter than one in his 20s. In other words a 20 something can have a biological age of 50s if he let his body run down. The great thing about this modern age is that one now has a choice over how well one wants to take care of one's body.
    What I meant by LD 's apparent decline is he has not shown his A game since the start of SS.Because his A game is so power and stamina driven (as with most CHN MS),any dip in physical stamina is likely to be visible in his play.On top of that ,I believe he's troubled mentally by the toughness of the SS draws.
    We're seeing a resurgence of LCW and PG,whose play seem more skill driven. As they mature, they probably build up more mental stamina, so they play better as they grow older. TH is an old man so I don't see him winning any more titles;he's still my favourite for watching great badminton(and possible accompanying antics!)
    As for smashes, Boonsak showed that if you can be split-second faster,you can afford to win points with the energy-saving placement rather than the energy-sapping power .

Page 13 of 590 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 63 113 513 ... LastLast