User Tag List

Page 398 of 590 FirstFirst ... 298 348 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 448 498 ... LastLast
Results 6,750 to 6,766 of 10017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its okay for LCW to lose in Hong Kong. This will give him more desire to nick it in China Open.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    In a strange and twisted way, I think we're allowed to be a little bit of an armchair critic, because we've bought many Yonex rackets in the past and spent probably many $$$. Rackets being not that expensive to mass produce, a large percentage of that $$$ probably went to r&d and sponsorship. So if a few $ from my rackets went to LCW, I'm allowed to comment on him a little, whether praise or constructive criticism.
    I think you got it rather backwards.. The money and the sponsorship only comes AFTER the athlete has worked his @ss of and proven himeslf in big competitions..Lazy athlets dont get super-deals from racket producers.

LCWs hard training effort helps YY sell rackets. Nothing else to it really. If he is lazy, then they are probably overpaying him :-).

LCW is really the only Top player in badminton YY has these days, so LCW is probably well aware that he is irreplacable for YY.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ants View Post
    Its okay for LCW to lose in Hong Kong. This will give him more desire to nick it in China Open.
    Where LD has even a greater desire to win it in his own playground? Doubt it.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twobeer View Post
    I think you got it rather backwards.. The money and the sponsorship only comes AFTER the athlete has worked his @ss of and proven himeslf in big competitions..Lazy athlets dont get super-deals from racket producers.LCWs hard training effort helps YY sell rackets. Nothing else to it really. If he is lazy, then they are probably overpaying him :-).LCW is really the only Top player in badminton YY has these days, so LCW is probably well aware that he is irreplacable for YY.
    Kinda like the chicken or egg question... which came first? Wait, let me go buy some more YY rackets, then I'm sure I can further comment more on LCW.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    Kinda like the chicken or egg question... which came first? Wait, let me go buy some more YY rackets, then I'm sure I can further comment more on LCW.
    ;-) The problem is it all becomes very expensive when you have to buy lots of Li-Ning rackets as well if you also want to comment on Lin Dan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is why I love this thread, LCW loses to LD because he doesn't watch enough video or doesn't have video technology, I guess like youtube. hahahaha LOL! I really hope you are joking about that!

Just say it with me one time ... "Lin Dan is a better badminton player than Lee Chong Wei"

I am not saying Lee Chong Wei is not good, I am just saying Lin Dan is usually better than Lee Chong wei.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have observed most of the LCW vs LD matches for past 2 years, below are my observations
    - LD and LCW are probably on par in terms of footwork
    - LD is superior in anticipation and court intelligence (ie where to stand after a shot, exploiting opponent weakness or in anticipation of next shot)
    - Both are equal in terms of defence
    - LD is slightly superior in terms of offence, because once he is in control he is deadly, there is no way back for LCW (majority of the times)
    - LD is superior in terms of cutting out silly mistakes in his games and handling of tight end games.
    - LD reacts better to external environment variables ie lighting and draft

While it is hard to stomach, after all the gamesmanship of walkovers and withdrawals by Chn plyrs, credit must still be given to LD .....there is probably not another LD for next 10 years or more.

While I hv no idea what is LCW training, definitely more thoughts need to be put into cutting out mistakes, adjusting to different drafts in stadium and mental toughness when chips are down.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there is still hope for LCW for London 2012 OG.....

(1) maybe LCW is pretending to be not at his best..... (just like LD at the beginning of 2008)....

(2) secondly, LCW is no longer giving it all and playing 100% because he doesn't want to aggravate his existing injuries and create new ones..... he does have quite a bit of injuries and strains... much more than LD, PG, Taufik and CL...

(3) LCW will stay in top 8 ranking from now to early May even he is not going to win one single title from now to early May... Perhaps he wants to be in lower ranking by early May (perhaps at ranking no. 6)... so that China would think LCW is no longer a threat.... LCW may even copy LD's Thomas Cup 2008 strategy.... You guys remember LD losing to LCW in Thomas CUp 2008, just 3 months before Beijing 2008 OG.... quite a strategy... THere is no shame for LCW to copy LD's behaviour....

(4) my best advice for LCW is this... after SS Finals, pretend to have major injury... from January to May 2012, lose at round 1 or round 2 of all tournaments..... in May 2012, lose at Thomas cup.... that is the only way to let LD and CJ's guard down...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool The Truth of the Matter

The Truth of the Matter

In the beginning both LD and LCW have good mastery and sound knowledge of badminton skills (1990s).

But then, LCW lacked the attacking style and injection of pace which was greatly improved upon through years of hard,intensive and disciplined training. By then LCW had learned this new skill hardly mastered by other players in the Malaysian camp.

While this was happening, China’s LD was impressed upon by Master Tang that LD needs to add new elements to his game instead of relying too much on his fury of attacking smashes all the time as this would lead him to sustain more injuries and finding it hard to sustain his game when age eventually takes a toll.

So what does LD has that LCW doesn’t, or what does LD has more of than LCW?

It boils down to LD’s flair of making opponents unable to read his game. While LCW’s superb retrieving skills and ability to inject pace at will is at par if not better than LD, badminton has developed so much now that one really needs to develop a flair of anticipating your opponents shots, or you yourself have to develop your game into something unreadable all the time. I don't care if you can fire a 500km/h smash because if I am waiting there at the right corner or spot to retrieve it, it really spoils the opponent's plan doesn't it?

While LCW's signature cross court smashes is his favourite (so is LD’s) but the problem is LD and CL is able to read LCW's game better now and they are getting better at this while we speak. Whether they are able to read LCW’s game solely on their own or with the help of analytic minds of china’s coaching camp is another luxury which LCW is lacking in the Malaysian camp. While all too often we have commented for the lack of video analysis (which is not) but what is really important is the mind that does the analysis. Where does it come from in the Malaysian camp? TSB? Rashid? High performance Bata director? Whoever it is from, is it sufficient for LCW?

All signature style winning shots when used too often can be detrimental to the player using it too often as the opponents are not playing you for the first time.

Players like LD who focuses more on flair typically shuns away from playing too much tournaments to keep opponents like LCW guessing. Players like LCW polishes their styles day in and day out and practices them till they become perfect. This is the good and the bad of both type of players.

The problem for LCW now is that his game is readable to LD whereas LD’s game keeps LCW more on the guessing side. When your opponent reads your game better than you do his, surely then your mental stress will begin to rise exponentially at the Olympics due next year in London.

So while LCW's rising to the top in ranking is due to his adding new dimension of injection of pace, it is of utmost prerogative for LCW and the Malaysian camp to add a new dimension to LCW's game so as to NOT be read by LD and the gang like an open book.

At a time when you are just exploding and oozing with aura on the tournament scene, winning shots are your forte. But when your opponents are frustrated with all your winning shots, the only way for them to counter attack is to see it before your winning shots come.

So what LCW should do now is frustrate LD's game by reading all his shots (if that is possible) and then follow up with winning shots because - this is exactly what LD is doing to him !
    Last edited by Pakito; 11-20-2011 at 11:31 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pcll99 View Post

(1) maybe LCW is pretending to be not at his best..... (just like LD at the beginning of 2008)....

(2) secondly, LCW is no longer giving it all and playing 100% because he doesn't want to aggravate his existing injuries and create new ones..... he does have quite a bit of injuries and strains... much more than LD, PG, Taufik and CL...

(3) LCW will stay in top 8 ranking from now to early May even he is not going to win one single title from now to early May... Perhaps he wants to be in lower ranking by early May (perhaps at ranking no. 6)... so that China would think LCW is no longer a threat.... LCW may even copy LD's Thomas Cup 2008 strategy.... You guys remember LD losing to LCW in Thomas CUp 2008, just 3 months before Beijing 2008 OG.... quite a strategy... THere is no shame for LCW to copy LD's behaviour....

(4) my best advice for LCW is this... after SS Finals, pretend to have major injury... from January to May 2012, lose at round 1 or round 2 of all tournaments..... in May 2012, lose at Thomas cup.... that is the only way to let LD and CJ's guard down...
    Interesting point of view.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pcll99 View Post

How to face the CTC members and the BOLEH BAM members?

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Pakito, you've got some good points about LCW should be less readable and less predictable when playing LD. And that I think he achieved partially in the 4 Kings Exhibition match 2 weeks ago against LD. If you watch that video, you'll see that LCW used a lot of new found deceptive strokes and double motions to effectively keep LD guessing and unsettled. That match was much closer than the HK semi. For some reason, these tactics were rarely used and few and far in between against LD in the HK semi ss.
    Last edited by visor; 11-21-2011 at 12:28 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

one thing for sure, pair's post has a number of crying icons in it. Haha, are you sad while stating all your observations?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twobeer View Post
    haha, yet another armchair critic.. I would see you work as hard as LCW for your goals!!!
    Badminton is not, and will never be, my profession. I'm guessing that holds true for most of us here on the forum (you included, please do correct me if I'm wrong). All of us are armchair critics.

And I don't see what qualifies you to judge my hard work, or lack thereof, towards my goals, since you know nothing about either of those things.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by undeadshot View Post
    How to face the CTC members and the BOLEH BAM members?
    the greatest threat to LCW's chance of obtaining a Olympic medal (be it gold, silver or bronze) is injury.... if he continues like this, there will definitely be injury---injury which will reduce his chance significantly...

he needs a team of sport science and physiological experts who can manage his recuperation on a daily basis...

LCW should copy LD's strategy... withdraw or dropout as much as he can.... so long as CTC/BAM/Yonex don't complain too much about it....

Working and trying too hard is the single biggest problem in LCW's character... We all love LCW because he is a very very hard working man... But it has now gone too far...
    Last edited by pcll99; 11-21-2011 at 02:40 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Totally agree. I'm a big LCW fan, but I have to admit LD is slightly ahead in terms of tactical play, mental toughness and even some aspects of skills, especially sudden explosive attacks. A lot of people say that LCW is on par with LD in all aspects and is just unlucky not to win a big one. It could be true, but to me, luck cannot explain such a big disparity in majors, i.e. 1 OG, 1 AG, 4 WC vs none from LCW, and a head to head of 19-8 (after HK open 11). Maybe LCW is just very slightly behind, but at this level, a slight advantage makes all the difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by badders2006 View Post
    i know exactly what you mean - that IS a bad habit of LCW's.

i'm glad lcw lost that point - teachs him not to "showboat" on the floor. he should get straight back up and be ready to defend.

didnt show enough respect to LD in that point and LCW got was he deserved.
    Exactly what I thought. Don't really understand why he did that, that shot couldn't possibly be a winner, LD wasn't even out of position. And you're right, LCW has a habit of doing this.

Another "showboat" I often observe from LCW is that he'd walk back casually to the baseline and play a high defensive clear, totally giving away the initiative when he had a good chance to attack. I guess he's confident in his amazing defence, and against a lesser player it's not a problem. But I was a bit surprised when he did this multiple times on big occasions e.g. world champs final or thomas cup against LD, knowing that the heavy attack is coming. I could be wrong, but if he keeps up this lackadaisical attitude, OG 2012 could be well beyond his reach.