User Tag List

Page 422 of 665 FirstFirst ... 322 372 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 472 522 ... LastLast
Results 7,158 to 7,174 of 11302
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Athelete1234 View Post
    Totally IMO here..I haven't posted in a long long time.

Here's why I don't think LCW is a better player than LD:

1) Mental toughness - I think this is sorta obvious. LCW makes a lot more errors and can't find his game in big moments. He almost let Tago win the 2010 AE, and lost to LD in OG, WC2011, etc.

2) Lack of winners - I know LCW has a bigger smash than any of the top 5 (except maybe Chen Long) in terms of speed - he's consistently clocking 260 km/h, which is faster than LD, PG and Taufik. But the bird doesn't go to the floor when facing CL or LD. It's frustrating to see LCW having to rely on their errors because he can't put the bird on the floor. And then you see CL or LD completely destroying LCW's defense whenever they get a chance for a big smash.

3) Speed - okay this is probably really controversial. But serious, look at the way that LD imposes himself at the net, and compare to LCW. Compare their cross court netshots - LD is almost always taking the bird above the net and guiding the shuttle downwards, whereas LCW seems to be crossing from below, making his stroke defensive in nature. And then there's diving - I'm used to seeing LD make a dive, get up super fast, and then keep the rallies going. Too often I see LCW do a dive, sit on the floor for a good second, realize the rally is still going, and then take the bird late.

4) Defense - LD's defense has gone insane since 2010 TC when he started doing all sorts of cross-court blocks/drives to break down an opponent's attack. That's probably the biggest reason why he trashed LCW in the 2010 TC semi match so hard. And just defense in general - LCW isn't the same person doing those crazy dives in 2005, he's not as quick and can't get the bird back when he needs to.

5) Game plan - IMO, LCW's game plan seems to fizzle when he comes to a player who's at his speed. Pretty much he just wants to get the lift, then start doing lots of drops and smashes (especially that slice smash across court) and hope that he can break down his opponent that way. It's burning him out and doesn't work when his smash isn't being effective (like against LD - he rarely gets smash winners). His ability to get a game plan going based on other strokes is really nullified. Compare to LD who wins the rally when he takes control of the net, and also is able to win when doing lots of clears, waiting until the opponent opens up and becomes vulnerable to a counter-attack.

Other misc stuff: I don't like LCW's reverse slice crosscourt drop from around the head, it's not that threatening nor consistent. How often do you see Taufik or LD miss with the equivalent stroke? And I think LCW's fitness is in question too, he gets tired during matches, which never really happened to him before, and doesn't happen to LD.

So those are my thoughts on LCW. I like him as a player, but I'm frustrated when he consistently shows that he cannot match up to LD. How come LD wins games when he feels like attacking, whereas LCW cannot when he's feeling aggressive? It's not just mental toughness, other factors are at play. I'm waiting for when LCW proves me wrong and takes a WC or OG, but until then I'm convinced that LD is the better player.
    interesting read.. Agree with much of what you say.. except yor views of the smash.. Both LD and Taufik usually clock faster smashes when I followed the radar measurements. Gade on the other hand probably is the weakest top-10 smasher, he produces very god angels on his sliced attacks though.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there is a report by ttymq a few days ago that Misbun had kindly declined to return to train LCW again...

http://www.ttymq.com/viewnews-20747.html

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for accommodating the request. Will be waiting for it.

Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    I will probably start another thread for Tang Xianfu's philosophy on his training and his playing methods .

I did not just spend hours with him, listening to what he said, but watched the demonstration of how he did things. Actually, watching his demonstration is easier to understand what he meant, compared to what he said in his lecture.

It will be difficult to write - probably an essay of 100,000 words won't be enough to explain just one topic itself, for example: What is Good Footwork?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    I will probably start another thread for Tang Xianfu's philosophy on his training and his playing methods .

I did not just spend hours with him, listening to what he said, but watched the demonstration of how he did things. Actually, watching his demonstration is easier to understand what he meant, compared to what he said in his lecture.

It will be difficult to write - probably an essay of 100,000 words won't be enough to explain just one topic itself, for example: What is Good Footwork?
    Quote Originally Posted by viver View Post
    Thank you for accommodating the request. Will be waiting for it.
    Pictures are better than 1,000, err make it 100,000 words...maybe Chris can post a video of himself demonstrating good footwork that he learnt from The Thing for us to see, hopefully I can better my concrete footwork

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OneToughBirdie View Post
    Pictures are better than 1,000, err make it 100,000 words...maybe Chris can post a video of himself demonstrating good footwork that he learnt from The Thing for us to see, hopefully I can better my concrete footwork
    Not as simple as you have mentioned.

Pictures and videos only show us how things were performed.

But, we also need to get into the players' minds (to know what they were thinking as they were performing).

If we get into LCW's mind (as he jumped up to smash), there are so many options he could do, like;

* Smash as hard as possible (which I call the 'KILL')
    * Smash as hard as possible down the line.
    * Smash as hard as possible cross-court.
    * Smash in a way to expect a certain reply.
    * Smash with a bit of slice effect (to deceive/wrong foot his opponent).
    * Smash softer so that LCW can have more time to play his next shot.
    * etc, etc, ......

The possibilities can be so many. LCW can have an endless list of options.

Therefore, it is not easy to explain (with just words or with just photos/videos).
    Last edited by chris-ccc; 12-29-2011 at 09:32 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BTW, at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, why had Lin Dan performed so well against LCW? It's because Tang Xianfu reminded Lin Dan what to expect from the replies from LCW after certain stokes.

How do I know? After knowing Tang Xianfu's philosophy, I can only guess what he had told Lin Dan before the match. And also how he had trained Lin Dan at the 2008 OG (in anticipation for him to face LCW at the Finals).

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OneToughBirdie View Post
    I am very happy to see that you are very interested to learn at your age. Got beaten by some female players lately?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Chinese have for sometime now identified LCW's weakness. Hence it will be extremely difficult for LCW to keep up with LD and CL. I am afraid it is only more of a downhill battle.
    You will note that whenever LCW plays against these two Chinese players they will attack LCW's forehand deep into the backline. Just look at the speed such shots to the backline are executed by LD and CL. This forces either a net return or a short of a full length clear. If it is a net return LCW will have problems because both CL and LD are much faster at the net than LCW. A less than full length clear to the backline will be met with an aggressive smash. Also LCW almost always loses in any encounter with these two Chinese that involve flat drives/shots.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nokh88 View Post
    I am very happy to see that you are very interested to learn at your age. Got beaten by some female players lately?
    Not yet, those matured hens have a long way to go to catch up to this old fox

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, on paper china have it all.
    skills, strategy, sparing players, facilites...
    Msia got nothing but only rely on msia boleh spirit...
    LD got his wife to provide enough motivation that he should fight for...

We need tap into things that china dont have...toyol or bomoh kinda things...hehe
    things out of box or baddy court...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak View Post
    The Chinese have for sometime now identified LCW's weakness. Hence it will be extremely difficult for LCW to keep up with LD and CL. I am afraid it is only more of a downhill battle.
    You will note that whenever LCW plays against these two Chinese players they will attack LCW's forehand deep into the backline. Just look at the speed such shots to the backline are executed by LD and CL. This forces either a net return or a short of a full length clear. If it is a net return LCW will have problems because both CL and LD are much faster at the net than LCW. A less than full length clear to the backline will be met with an aggressive smash. Also LCW almost always loses in any encounter with these two Chinese that involve flat drives/shots.
    Nice to see you back Ee Pak.

Let's hope LCW somehow got your feedback and work hard to counter his two most dangerous rivals.

He might yet become the first Olympic gold medal winner for MAS!

MALAYSIA BOLEH!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question So many BCers have given up on LCW?

OMG... So many BCers have given up on LCW?

But I have not. Let's find LCW prove me correct.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like some full blown politics in play now huh?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometime ago Malaysia's high performance coaching director James Sevarage (?) came near to pointing out the reason why LCW is being increasingly upstaged by China's No. 2 CL, but James did not get it quite right, only partially.
    James's suggestion that LCW should counter CL's persistent attacks to LCW's two backline corners was to return crosscourt instead of straight. That is easier said than done, simply for the reason that LCW was never behind those deep shots and was forced to take them on his back foot. LCW's stance when taking a forehand high shot at the backline is both his strength but at the same time a tragic weakness against LD and CL. His strength against other opponents bar CL and LD was his rotational cross court smashes, with his classic stance of facing the side/back in the initial preparation. LCW's recovery from here is slow for him to reach the net. Just compare his stance when dealing with a deep high forehand shot with LD's and you will see why LD can reach the net from the backline so much faster than LCW, to the extent that LD can afford to stay almost a hair's breadth away from the net. You will see LCW a few feet away from the net. In such a situation you are in dire trouble. If you lose control of the net it is a hopeless situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's expect less games for LCW next year... and maybe more loses. At the time of OG2012 he will be at peak and win the gold this time.

Well I'm just thinking of their strategy... I hope I'm correct...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hopefully some Malaysian friends can help me(American) understand BAM a little more.

How is the top position(s) i.e. (President/Council) of BAM appointed? How does BAM acquire it's funding? To my understanding clubs like KLRC are not under BAM, what is the dynamic between large Clubs and BAM? What do you think the chances of a top player like LCW becoming one of the leaders of BAM, could he even be effective ... why or why not?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb To understand BAM a little more

Quote Originally Posted by V1lau View Post
    Hopefully some Malaysian friends can help me(American) understand BAM a little more.
    You might expect that BAM to be an organisation formed in the interest of Badminton. Unfortunately, BAM is formed in the interest of the nation. Read this article for more info;

http://nssdc1.rssing.com/browser.php...last=1&item=25

You could also go to the BAM website to find out the answers to your questions. Read this thread for more info;

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...M-website-link