Training Program?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by shibbish, Jan 9, 2007.

1. shibbish

shibbish Regular Member

Hi everyone,
    I need your advice on a training program. A bit on me: Im trying to make the school badminton team (15 this year) next year and by my current standards Im no where near the standard of the badminton players in my school who are stronger, fitter and more experienced than me. But I would like to set a goal: I want to be able to beat most of them or at least match up to their standards in 6 months. Im willing to work hard to achieve my goal and I would like some advice please on how to improve my badminton.
    Thanks!

2. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    I would absolutely love to help you set up a training program... this would be a good test run for the enterprise I'm setting up.

If you could email me at westwood_13@hotmail.com with a little more information about you and your playing experience, I'd be happy to do my best to help you out!

3. Limbardo

Limbardo Regular Member

Hey could I also get a copy of that training program? I've played badminton recreationally for a few months now, but Im considering becoming more serious about it. I just...don't know how to train, any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

4. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Setting up a good training program can be summed up in a pretty simple way: Find your weakness. Improve on them. Repeat.

For a beginner, this is very easy because everything is a weakness, so practising anything will yield positive results. As you get more advanced, the weaknesses tend to become more subtle and specific, requiring a bit more of an expert eye to identify. This is when getting a good coach become useful.

As for some guidelines, here are some questions to ask yourself:
    Can you hit the bird from a stationary position?
    Can you hit the bird to all four corners of the court from a stationary position?
    Can you retrieve the bird when it is hit to all four corners of the court?
    Can you hit the bird to all four corners of the court while running to all four corners?
    etc.

5. Darma Sucipto

Darma Sucipto Regular Member

hey can i also get another copy of training programs. Im currently free because i just finished my high school. Im in state team now but im the weakest state player. I also want to be able to beat most of them and at least can match up with their standards

6. arjuntew

arjuntew Regular Member

Software Guy
    hey man count me in too please. Even I would love to have a copy. One of the biggest weaknesses that I posses is that I just can't jump to smash the shuttle. Hardly 10-15".

7. jcr2001

jcr2001 Regular Member

Student
    This sounds interesting... what's it like?

8. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    Sorry to all who I am initiating a program for or are on the waitlist.

Midterms in two weeks a backlog of things to do, however, I have not forgotton about you!

9. Saphira

Saphira Regular Member

student
    heyyy westwood 13

i know u jus said you have a tonne of things to do, but id super love a training program as well, only if you have the spare time and can be bothered lol!
    cheers.

10. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Here's a tip: There's no such thing as a perfect or magical training program! In fact, a very good advanced training system has less to do with actual drills or exercises and more to do with an effective assessment of training needs. Of course, beginners to intermediates tend to have the same problem: just not enough fluidity and comfort with ALL the basic strokes and movements, leading to poor consistency on court.

Anyways, for a singles player, here are 4 basic drills that cover most of the basic strokes and movements:

1. "4 corner serial placement" The worker(s) run a basic serial pattern to each of the four corners, each time placing a shot to each of the four corners. The players should strive to achieve a high number of consecutive good quality shots. There are four basic full court variations.

2. "4 corner scramble" One player stands in one corner and plays shots randomly to any corner while the other player runs all over and hits them back to that corner. The stationary player gets to practise deception while the runner works on change of direction footwork and shot reading. There are four basic full court variations.

3. "Multishuttle smash/slice" The worker hits a smash to one side of the court, runs in and takes the net shot high, runs back to that first corner to hit the slice to the other side, and follows that in with a net shot. 4 variations possible.

4. "3 on 1 defence" Two players in the back showing off their smashing/slicing skills to a poor worker who has to chase all those shots down. The 4th person hangs around the net to recover net shots, but mostly to rest.

These shots make up 80% of the shots you need to make in a game, so for beginner/intermediates i would recommend getting a decent volume of the above drills in. In any case, keep evaluating the effectiveness of your program and adjust things as needed.

11. arjuntew

arjuntew Regular Member

Software Guy
    hey stumblingfeet, just a personal advice man. I am gud in covering court, net shots, cross smash, straight smash but the problem lies in the back-hand and jump-smash. Ne suggestions on how to improve them?