User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Nicholls
    how many badminton players could make a living by playing badminton if it were not for extra funding from national bodies?
    This is particularly true for players in the West or even in Japan and Korea. They wouldn't be quitting their day jobs yet!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Nicholls
    how many badminton players could make a living by playing badminton if it were not for extra funding from national bodies?
    I agree. In Singapore's case the SBA is one of a few national sports associations which gets a generous grant from Singapore Pools (a lottery monopoly) for being able to set out a blueprint for the sport and for being successful in certain areas, one of which is winning honours for the country.

But the amount of grant varies annually according to performance and the proper running of the organization.

Therefore, it is good that other bodies such as private clubs like the KL Racquets Club can join in the fray and compete for glory. But how many such clubs can be in a strong financial position to do so withou sponsors of some kind?

It will be ideal if eventually, players can participate as individuals and not be constrained by their national bodies or countries' prohibitions. I suppose if this happens, badminton will edge closer to its much richer cousin, tennis. With the present setup and prize monies, it seems very difficult to break away on one's own. For then a professional player will need to find his own sources of funding his career. Maybe we have to watch TH closely and see how he does it, if at all.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Taufik Hidayat is now an independent professional player

Quote Originally Posted by chris@ccc View Post

Hi Neil Nicholls,

I am seriously hoping that Taufik Hidayat, our BBB (Badminton Bad Boy ), could be our first player to break away from National Associations.

With his decision not to participate in the All England 2007 to protest against PBSI, I am hoping that KL Racquet Club could come in to ask him to play not for Indonesia, but for KLRC.

Like what kwun have posted, we could have more individualism, rather than nationalism.

And it happened on Friday 30-Jan-2009: click here

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

actually we have Tony G, LWW/CTF,CCM,WCH, Candra Widjaya,now Luluk, Flandy soon Joko Riyadi to be Pro/Independent players...also Reid/Nicole ...I think it will happen slowly....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately we see that these players are no longer at their prime.....the young players who are at their best are all under national associations...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow The next step for Badminton is to have Independent Badminton Clubs

Quote Originally Posted by Athelete1234 View Post

Unfortunately we see that these players are no longer at their prime.....the young players who are at their best are all under national associations...

Currently, we have to be thankful to our National Badminton Associations for helping train young players. Here I am talking about teenage players. We can see how young players in Soccer, Basketball, Tennis, etc... are brought up by their National Associations in various countries.

The next step for Badminton is to have Independent Badminton Clubs, for example, the KLRC and the many clubs in Malaysia, Japan, Denmark Germany, etc...

If these Independent Badminton Clubs can receive big sponsorships, for example like our Independent Soccer Clubs worldwide, then we can say that Badminton has caught up with the rest of the World Professional Sports.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If these Independent Badminton Clubs can receive big sponsorships, for example like our Independent Soccer Clubs worldwide, then we can say that Badminton has caught up with the rest of the World Professional Sports.
    This is quite visionary and inspiring post of urs.To re-brand Badminton to be a business like EPL etc could come with pros and cons.

In badminton,It's pretty tough to distinguish the nationalism and individualism.
    Many indonesians still cheer for Tony,clearly.
    It's good to have enhancement, but let it develop in its own time,freely.
    Don't force the fans to choose,the player or the country.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am seriously hoping that Taufik Hidayat, our BBB (Badminton Bad Boy ), could be our first player to break away from National Associations.
    As long as a player wants to compete in BWF events that produce ranking points, that player cannot 'break away' and not have any National Associations that list their participation...

Quote Originally Posted by huangkwokhau View Post
    actually we have Tony G, LWW/CTF,CCM,WCH, Candra Widjaya,now Luluk, Flandy soon Joko Riyadi to be Pro/Independent players...also Reid/Nicole ...I think it will happen slowly....
    Candra Wijaya, Luluk, Flandy, Taufik, Jo, Rani etc. are not members of the INA National Team, but their participation in any BWF events have to be sanctioned by PBSI... As you see, Taufik still did not 'break away' from PBSI... Tony Gunawan, on the other hand, have broken away from PBSI a long time ago and became part of USA Badminton... Even Tony cannot 'break away' from at least one National Badminton Association...

The next step for Badminton is to have Independent Badminton Clubs, for example, the KLRC and the many clubs in Malaysia, Japan, Denmark Germany, etc...

I don't get what you mean? You do know that Malaysian KLRC players have to be registered by BAM, right? And even Zhou Mi have to be registered by the HK National Association, while Andrew Smith have to be registered by Badminton England...

Independent Badminton clubs...?!? Hmmm... I don't know what 'next step' you're talking about, but in INA, we have tons of those, among others:
    Jaya Raya Badminton Club [producers of Susi Susanti, Candra Wijaya, Tony G.]
    Tangkas Badminton Club [producers of Lily-Nova, Hendrawan, Ricky-Rexy]
    Djarum Badminton Club [producers of Alan B., Sigit Budiarto, Luluk, Maria Kristin]
    SGS Elektrik Badminton Club [producers of Hendra AG, Taufik Hidayat, Flandy]

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow All players need to be registered with BWF to participate in BWF tournaments

Quote Originally Posted by Krisna View Post

As long as a player wants to compete in BWF events that produce ranking points, that player cannot 'break away' and not have any National Associations that list their participation...

Correct. All players need to be registered with BWF to participate in BWF tournaments. And to register with BWF, players are required to register with their National Associations.

In my comment, 'to break away from National Associations', I meant for players 'to become independent and not as members of a National Association Training Squad'. It's not meant for players to remove themselves from registering via their National Associations.

Let's say if Taufik is contracted to KLRC, I can guess that Taufik would still be registered through PBSI, that is if he still wants to be selected to play for Indonesia in Inter-Nations events, like the Thomas Cup.
    Candra Wijaya, Luluk, Flandy, Taufik, Jo, Rani etc. are not members of the INA National Team, but their participation in any BWF events have to be sanctioned by PBSI... As you see, Taufik still did not 'break away' from PBSI... Tony Gunawan, on the other hand, have broken away from PBSI a long time ago and became part of USA Badminton... Even Tony cannot 'break away' from at least one National Badminton Association...

Correct ... TG is now registered through USA Badminton. Therefore he is playing for the USA, and not Indonesia
    I don't get what you mean? You do know that Malaysian KLRC players have to be registered by BAM, right? And even Zhou Mi have to be registered by the HK National Association, while Andrew Smith have to be registered by Badminton England...

Only Malaysian KLRC player are registered through BAM. Other KLRC players from other countries register themselves through their own National Associations.
    Independent Badminton clubs...?!? Hmmm... I don't know what 'next step' you're talking about, but in INA, we have tons of those, among others:
    Jaya Raya Badminton Club [producers of Susi Susanti, Candra Wijaya, Tony G.]
    Tangkas Badminton Club [producers of Lily-Nova, Hendrawan, Ricky-Rexy]
    Djarum Badminton Club [producers of Alan B., Sigit Budiarto, Luluk, Maria Kristin]
    SGS Elektrik Badminton Club [producers of Hendra AG, Taufik Hidayat, Flandy]

Here, I meant that I am hoping that more private Badminton Clubs can be maintained by commercial sponsors, and in turn, these clubs are able to support their club members playing at International Tournaments.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ^^2 clubs come to mind..^^

..in terms of "clubs that are able to support their club members playing at International Tournaments.". They are Djarum badminton club and KLRC (even to go as far as sponsoring oversea tourneys)
    Last edited by ctjcad; 01-31-2009 at 10:16 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Guys, please don't split sentences between the title bar and the post window.
    If you split the sentence like that, this is what happens when someone later quotes your post:

Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad View Post
    ..in terms of "clubs that are able to support their club members playing at International Tournaments.". They are Djarum badminton club and KLRC (even to go as far as sponsoring overseas tourneys)
    The opening phrase '2 clubs come to mind' has disappeared.
    And, of course, the quoted portion looks odd without it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

first time i see ctjcad gotten spanked
    it's bout time

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cooler View Post
    first time i see ctjcad gotten spanked
    it's bout time
    Um, Chris is too savvy to need that.
    It helps that he's the most amiable one here

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldhand View Post
    Um, Chris is too savvy to need that.
    It helps that he's the most amiable one here
    dont ya forget, he's also the most creative member ever post like that i think
    anyway, its nice to see that kind of post though

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Off topic-Yeah...

..who's the village idiot that got spanked by Oldhand??...

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad View Post
    ..who's the village idiot that got spanked by Oldhand??...
    Haha... here we are

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loh View Post
    I agree. In Singapore's case the SBA is one of a few national sports associations which gets a generous grant from Singapore Pools (a lottery monopoly) for being able to set out a blueprint for the sport and for being successful in certain areas, one of which is winning honours for the country.

But the amount of grant varies annually according to performance and the proper running of the organization.

Therefore, it is good that other bodies such as private clubs like the KL Racquets Club can join in the fray and compete for glory. But how many such clubs can be in a strong financial position to do so withou sponsors of some kind?

It will be ideal if eventually, players can participate as individuals and not be constrained by their national bodies or countries' prohibitions. I suppose if this happens, badminton will edge closer to its much richer cousin, tennis. With the present setup and prize monies, it seems very difficult to break away on one's own. For then a professional player will need to find his own sources of funding his career. Maybe we have to watch TH closely and see how he does it, if at all.
    Singapore Pools... i hope we also can have 4D or sports Toto supporting our players.. or even Genting Berhad.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast