Multi-disciplininary players and Mia Audina Tjiptawan

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by walkinghome, Jan 11, 2007.

1. walkinghome

walkinghome Regular Member

It's been a quarter of a year since Mia Audina Tjiptawan retired and she still finished 2006 in the top 10 women's singles :D. That's cool. I hope everyone remembers what an inspiring and genius player we are missing.

-----

My thread is really about multi-disciplinary professional players - these are players who have competed in singles and doubles and/or mixed doubles. This phenonmenon seems much harder to master in badminton than in tennis.

With my limited knowledge here the persons I have seen footage or press coverage of:

All 3 events:
    - Mia Audina Tjiptawan (singles #1, doubles #5, mixed in Surdirman Cup)
    - Wong Choong Han (singles #1, doubles in Commonwealth Games, mixed in Commonwealth Games)
    - Park Joo Bong (doubles #1, mixed Olympic silver, when I just started playing I saw a video of Park playing and maybe winning singles versus Zhao Jianhua)
    - Xia Xuanze (singles #1, doubles and mixed in 2006)
    - Ra Kyung Min (singles #7, doubles top5, mixed #1)
    - Keita Masuda (one time highest Japanese singles and doubles player, mixed)

Notable singles and doubles:
    - Li Lingwei and Han Aiping (singles #1, and doubles partners)
    - Gillian Clark (singles, doubles)
    - Eric Pang (singles, doubles)
    - Wang Chen (singles, doubles)
    - Judith Meulendijks (singles, doubles)
    - Lim Swee King (singles, doubles)
    - Jim Laugesen (doubles, junior singles)
    - Peter Gade (singles #1, world junior doubles champion)

Notable doubles and mixed:
    - Zhang Jun
    - Gao Ling
    - Kim Dong Moon
    - Jon Holst-Christensen
    - Thomas Lund
    - Jens Eriksen
    - Jonas Rasmussen
    - Robert Mateusiak
    - Koo Kien Keat
    - Wong Pei Tty
    - Gail Emms
    - Nathan Robertson
    - Simon Archer
    - Rikke Olsen

Feel free to add to, modify or correct me. I am inspired by this theme especially in discovering those who can apply themselves to singles & doubles.

The pattern tends to indicate mostly players from countries with smaller badminton contingents or Europeans. Nevertheless, to succeed and threaten when the opportunity was given is the amazing thing.

I reckon you have to be one of the smartest, pretty coordinated, and fit to succeed as a multi-disciplinary professional badminton player.

2. jerby

jerby Regular Member

Mia really was a phenomenon, escpecially here. watched here play on a lot fo occasions, and she really was an allrounder (not really into mixed doubles..but heh...)

as for those allrounders..I highyl respect the singles+doubles players. Irrespecitive fo how good they are, at that level it's really, really great if you can do it. Because all disciplines require such different training and strokes, it's really unimaginable how varied one must train...

also, great list!:eek:

3. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

Park Jo Bong. IIRC, he got to the singles final at the All England one year. And we all know very well what his achievements are in doubles and mixed doubles.

Talk about an all-arounder.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Nope, I think his best ever placing in that tournament was q/final.

Michael Kjeldsen and Jen Peter Nierhoff were mainly singles players who got to the final of the All England doubles. That was some time ago now.

Zhang Ning has played doubles before.

Zhou Mi was a junior WC in doubles.

5. Syaoran_Style

Syaoran_Style Regular Member

Don't forget .. xie xingfang is also a world junior champion with zhang jiewen

6. walkinghome

walkinghome Regular Member

Jerby, cool to hear from you again. My thoughts exactly... In fact, I seldom want to limit myself by saying I'm either a singles or doubles or mixed player as some people might admit straight off when you meet them. Nonetheless, I'm only too aware that there's a whole range of particular skills and strategy required in each discipline. Some days I just can't create or see the holes on a singles court and watching baddie videos definitely helps. I like how when Mia plays Xu Huaiwen she will refuse to run the marathon with Xu and instead make the opponent retrieve shots at all sorts of awkward angles.

Thanks for the other names everyone! I didn't know. I can imagine Zhou Mi playing doubles because she hits bloody hard.

-----

I'd really love to see Ra Kyung Min play singles but I don't think Han Cheong has any DVDs of her in that discipline. Can anyone describe what she was like as a top 10 singles player?

It is absolutely amazing that Park Joo Bong has beaten Zhao Jianhua in singles. (Certainly, please correct me if I'm wrong.) And reaching the quarters of the All England is no small achievement, especially when you consider there's been so much talk this week about surviving the round 1 of the Malaysian Open. :cool: ;)

7. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Taufik Hidayat is actually a very good doubles player. He would spar with the doubles team in the National Team for fun. In the 2004 National Club championship, he paired up with Flandy and won the championship for SGS Elekrik by winning both his singles and doubles matches...

8. cheeyf

cheeyf Regular Member

Joanne Quay is a doubles n mix doubles player too :)

9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Don't forget the Tony-meister..

..yup, Tony Gunawan also plays and played all 3 events. At least in the U.S., he played MS and XD in one of the past tournaments..Actually most if not all pro players DO and SHOULD BE able to play all 3 events..;) :cool:

Abt Taufik playing doubles event, yah, i've seen him in action, although in practice/sparring session. And i believe he played XD for his club SGS Elektric in last yr's INA national tournament??..:confused: ;)

10. bh185008

bh185008 Regular Member

Hey guys..Christian Hadinata also played 3 events...single, double and mixed...once he was in the all england open final...(lost to Ruddy Hartono)..i believe it was 1970 or 1971 final......he is the master....

i also knew that park joo bong beat Icuk Sugiarto in one of the Thomas Cup encounter between Korea and Indonesia (80's) ..can't remember the exact year)..correct me if i am wrong