User Tag List

View Poll Results: New or Old Scoring System?

Voters
478. You may not vote on this poll
  • Old - Service based 3x15 scoring system

259 54.18%
  • New - Rally based 3x21 scoring system

219 45.82%
Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak View Post
    What do you chaps think if the current NSS, say for singles, were to adopt table tennis' 2 serves for each server?
    Any opinions?
    Serves in table tennis & tennis rewards the server with an offensive advantage. You can get points just from service in tennis ("Service Aces"). In TT, server dictates the initial spin/placement (2nd bounce) of the ball. Not uncommon in these 2 games to see most of the winning points going to the serving side.

OTOH, badminton serves puts servers at a slight disadvantage due to the lower than waist+wrist requirement. While the server still dictates the placement, the server is placed in defense whether he serves low or flicks.

The current service rule does in fact balances the game by giving the side that lost the last point that slight advantage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by weeyeh View Post
    Serves in table tennis & tennis rewards the server with an offensive advantage. You can get points just from service in tennis ("Service Aces"). In TT, server dictates the initial spin/placement (2nd bounce) of the ball. Not uncommon in these 2 games to see most of the winning points going to the serving side.

OTOH, badminton serves puts servers at a slight disadvantage due to the lower than waist+wrist requirement. While the server still dictates the placement, the server is placed in defense whether he serves low or flicks.

The current service rule does in fact balances the game by giving the side that lost the last point that slight advantage.
    In tennis and table tennis both sides have roughly the same number of serves irrespective of who is winning or losing or regardless of the margin of the score-so it is a very fair system. In badminton, if the server wins the toss and elects to serve and then continues to win every rally until 21-0, the winner would have served 21 times and the loser none. This is grossly unfair and a rather unfair playing field, and it would have less pressure points than tennis' or table tennis' equal number of serves for both sides. I am quite sure that a change to a fairer serve rule will be debated or even implemented or trialed sometime in the future. Doing so will make the game even more exciting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak View Post
    In tennis and table tennis both sides have roughly the same number of serves irrespective of who is winning or losing or regardless of the margin of the score-so it is a very fair system. In badminton, if the server wins the toss and elects to serve and then continues to win every rally until 21-0, the winner would have served 21 times and the loser none. This is grossly unfair and a rather unfair playing field, and it would have less pressure points than tennis' or table tennis' equal number of serves for both sides. I am quite sure that a change to a fairer serve rule will be debated or even implemented or trialed sometime in the future. Doing so will make the game even more exciting.
    I am not particularly excited about TT or Tennis. In the Singapore vs China TT OG(final) that happened to clash with LCW vs LD, I did not at any point switch away from badminton.

Your suggestion is fairer only due to elimination of a variable and the said pressure point only arises from introducing changes in the game. This pressures both server & receiver. Your 21-0 match is boring anyway you change the serving system. IMHO, a balanced game is more exciting. A fair game of me vs. Lin Dan will be devastatingly boring. A much more exciting match if I play in a much smaller court (balancing).

The current service rule creates more pressure on the winner of the point due to that the server is essentially defensive after the serve. This balances the game making it slightly easier for the receiver to get a point. The victory is then more convincing if you switch your perspective from raw counting (the total number of serves) to that the winner survived an "unequal" odd by serving more times. In a close match, the ratio of service is evenly split anyway.

OTOH, if you are sure that the change is inevitable, this entire debate is pointless.

This discussion is off topic so this is the last I'll respond to this thread out of courtesy to the thread starter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry about bringing up this old thread again, but I was wondering if it's possible to create a poll of the current scoring system (rally point vs old) people are using at the moment, regardless of what they actually prefer (e.g. club rules)?

I don't seem to have the option of creating a poll.

Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31