String Tension loss chart req/proposal.

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by vatovey, Jan 14, 2007.

1. vatovey

vatovey Regular Member

IT Technician / Badminton Stringer
    Hi all,

Got a question regarding tension loss in strings.

I am a new stringer, and string with a Karakal 'Speed Pro' crank type stringing machine, I generally use Strength-Pro Nano 70 and Yonex BG80 stringing.

I am generally finding that I am losing tension when stringing with both types of string, what I normally find is that if I string at Xlbs, for the first few days - this tension is what I get, but during the following days/weeks the tension drops 2/3/4 lbs, I can only assume this is due to the string stretching.

Is there any pre-made charts/graphs which list the loss in tension of strings in a set period of time, ie..

String Type Set to Xlbs Day 1 Day 7 Day 14 Day 30
    BG80 25 25 24 23 22
    SP-Nano70 25 25 24 22 19

If there is - could someone let me know where it is ?

If there is'nt - maybe we should make one ???

Cheers, Vaughn.
    S.Wales, UK

2. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Sorry, There is no such chart exist. The reason is people plays differerntly and with different amount of time and schedule. My string tension decrease rate is different than your's. Also, the tension do drop even if a racquet is not in use. Another difficulty is how do you measure tension decrease of a racquet? I suggested using a piano to match the tone before. M advice to you is to make one for yourself. It will take a long while. However, it is the one that is true to youself and you will see your skill progress in palying and stringing racquet.

Good luck and have a good time stringing racquet.

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I agree that such chart is way too difficult (if not impossible) to be made. If you are not satisfied with the tension lost rate on your rackets, consider add 1-2 lbs of tension to begin with. The cranking type of machine don't have the constant pulling feature when tensioning, therefore, I won't be surprised the tension lost is a bit more significant on such machines. :rolleyes:

4. mindfields

mindfields Regular Member

Are you clamping the strings off sufficiently?
    Could be your stringing technique. If you don't clamp off the strings to keep the tension correctly the strings may be slipping down a few pounds in tension. The last few rows that you do you may tension off at the full 25lb but the rest of the racuqet may have dropped to around 22-23. Over the next few days the tensions will even out as the strings slip through the grommets & settle to a consistent tension.

5. vatovey

vatovey Regular Member

IT Technician / Badminton Stringer
    Tension chart

Cheers for the replies guys.

Am kinda surprised the manufacturers don't supply sort kinda of 'string slip' info for stringers.

With regards to clamps, am using Yonex string clips, and they don't to be slipping at all.

I was hoping to find out what the average slip would be on a given string, at a given poundage.

Like you say, it may be a case of stringing 2-3lbs heavier than I want my resting tension to be.