what pros do to have such good smashes

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Shadowdrgn20, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Shadowdrgn20

Shadowdrgn20 Regular Member

I've seen posts on how to get your smashes faster and they seem to be helpful, but only to a point where my smashes only get a bit faster. So here's my question. What is it exactly that pros do to obtain smashes that go over 160mph? Is there some kind of special training that they go through that I'm not aware of? Will smash drilling for hours really improve your smash that much? I've heard of plyometrics, but haven't found any info on what kind of plyometric training you need to do to dramtically improve your smash.

2. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    How old are you? Since when have you been playing? Pros have started at a very young age (eg 10-12) and have been playing badminton for over 15 years in some cases. With experience comes many little things that will improve all your shots, and those little things, like angle, timing, wrist action and arm extension all come from training. These pros are in the gym, playing badminton 7 days a week.
    Its like asking how a 100m dash sprinter runs faster than you even though you read a book on sprinting technique etc.

3. Shadowdrgn20

Shadowdrgn20 Regular Member

I've only played for 2 years and I'm in high school. But from what you said, you're saying that there's no way to obtain this level of smash unless I train everyday for many hours? Or is it already too late? If that is true I'd still like to know what kind of training they do for their smashes.

4. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    by 'this level' do you mean 160mph+? If so then yes, you probably cant get your smash to this level unless you train like they do. It would be much better to work on technique and angle and placement. Speed doesnt matter as much in singles as placement and angle does smash wise.
    as for specific training, you'll have to ask their coach. Probably alot to do more timing and wrist snap than strength training or anything of that sort.

5. midknightblue

midknightblue Regular Member

High School Student
    There's no shortcut to a great smash. Train, train, train, improve your technique.

6. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    Here's what to work on to achieve a harder smash in your body, in this order.

1. Technique, making sure you're getting the maximum energy transfer. Make sure your smash stroke is virtually the same as your drop and clear stroke, so you don't develop any bad habits.
    2. Core body strengthening. Especially focus on the obliques, they contribute a lot of your overhand power.
    3. Smash specific drills. My favourite is just the simplest... you smash as hard as you can while a partner tries to return everything to the back (on halfcourt). This will tire you very quickly if you're doing it at full intensity, but it's great practice for both of you.
    4. If you're 17+, hit the weight room. Focus on overall strengthening of all muscle groups with some extra emphasis on the quads/hamstring and shoulder/triceps.
    5. Once your standard smash is working well (and you should notice improve at this point), work the jumpsmash into your arsenal. It's tricky and takes awhile to get the hang of.
    6. Improve your vertical with squats, wall jumps, footspeed exercises, and plyometrics.

Good luck!

EDIT: What everyone else has said about angle is great advice in my opinion. As was mentioned as above, angle and placement refinement will give you more edge than just raw power. All of the things I've listed will benefit that, though, since more strength gives you more control and more practice will help your consistency.

7. jas1121

jas1121 Regular Member

Accountant
    i would like to add, use a training racket like a heavier 1 with lower tension so it takes more strength smash the back further and also prolonge your string life.

8. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

take more strength to smash? doesnt lower tension have more of a trampoline effect so more power less accuracry while higher tension lower power but more accuracy?

9. morewood

morewood Regular Member

Think the thing is practice and dedication, a pro eats sleeps and plays badminton and exercises for badminton everyday.

So great swing technique, application of weight, physically strong, great footwork to be spot on, the height from the jump, best matching of equipment to there game all go a long way to adding to the devastating effect of the smash.

Now I've never had my smash speed trapped (I consider it fast (so do most people it hits)) but I would guess that with pro coaching and a month in the gym I could add at least 10mph to the results on the speed gun.

10. jas1121

jas1121 Regular Member

Accountant
    You can do a search on that, there are lots of threads discussing about that. But for me higher tension gives me more power on my smashes compared to strings with lower tension.

11. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    In tennis, this is pretty much true. Lower string tensions, up to a point, yield a larger sweetspot and more power. For badminton, this is not so clearcut.

Lower badminton string tension, up to a point, will probably still yield a larger sweetspot but other factors come into play as to whether you will experience more power or less. Some players claim more power with looser strings, other players report more power with tighter strings. The type of stroke you employ (smash, drive, etc), your stroke technique, stroke speed (& duration) & the part of the stringbed you use are some of these factors.

Do as jas1121 suggests & perform a search on this subject for more info.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    If it was that easy, we could all smash like the pros:D

13. fivestars

fivestars Regular Member

To obtain the pro's level of smashing, their body also has to endure a pro level trainning also. I remember reading somewhere on either Zhang JW or Xie XF's blog that their muscles ache so much after a day of training that they cannot fall asleep. It is also note in the blog that one of the early morning routine (~6 a.m) is to practice foot work in a large sand box.

14. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    my muscles ache thinking about that:eek:

15. Kiwiplayer

Kiwiplayer Regular Member

The rest of your suggestions are good. However, in this case where the player has only been playing for a short time and is unlikely to have reached a reasonable level of technical skill, I would say that drills should not involve maximum strength smashing. Not yet. Otherwise, this may lead to bad habits and potential injuries further on down the line.

Wayne Young

16. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    An excellent idea! I used to play sand volleyball every once in a while. Running & jumping in sand is a gr8 workout for the legs.

NE1 try "water" training? I've seen runners & tennis players do this. You can practice footwork in shallow (knee-deep or waist-deep) water. In deeper water (up to your neck), you can practice drives & underhand strokes. You can used a webbed glove for added resistance on the stroke simulation.

Don't know if these suggestions are practical... just thinking aloud.