Taufik Hidayat may join KLRC

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Loh, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Reported in Star Sport today, "Taufik seeks PBSI nod to seal Sponsorship deal with KLRC"

26-year-old Taufik candidly said that he has agreed to be sponsored by the Malaysian club as he is not young anymore and the sponsorship offered by KLRC, owned by Datuk Andrew Kam with whom he enjoys a good relationship, is a good chance for him to make money to secure his future.

It seems hitherto PBSI requires a fee of US$300,000 for the whole Indonesian team and this high price has deterred many interested individual sponsors. Taufik hopes that PBSI will agree to a lower fee as it does not involve the entire Indonesian team.

Taufik, however, stressed that if the offer is successful, he will be the first Indonesian to wear the KLRC name on his attire, but will play for Indonesia in international tournaments. He hopes to display his individual sponsor's name before the All-England in March. But I guess, this does not prevent him from playing for KLRC in non-international competitions, like inter-club leagues, which the BWF is trying to promote, I think.

This is an interesting development and I wonder whether it will lead to the badminton talents of China following a similar course. Then you may find China's players, or other countries' national players, representing different clubs all around the world! A Super Inter-Club League in the making! :D

Well, Malaysia's Roslin Hashim has more or less paved the way by playing in the Danish league. And I think some other national players have also gone that way, though with less publicity.

#1 Loh, Jan 16, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2007
  2. Joyous

Joyous Regular Member

"26-year-old Taufik candidly said that he has agreed to be sponsored by the Malaysian club as he is not young anymore and the sponsorship offered by KLRC, owned by Datuk Andrew Kam with whom he enjoys a good relationship, is a good chance for him to make money to secure his future."

See - badminton is their career and all players know if they can win tournaments, they can make some decent living now and keep for the future. Therefore for anyone to say that you only target certain tournament is not speaking from the heart because all players enter the court with the desire to win but it is just a reality that no player can win all the time.

I respect and admire the player who has the guts to admit that he wants to play his best and win and not be pretentious.