Hybrid Stringing Bg 80+65

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Shocker85, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Shocker85

Shocker85 Regular Member

Hey guys! Well I left my at 700 (4ug5) at a local badminton store to get my racket strung the other day (bg80s 24x26). My mom picked up the racket and I took a closer look at the strings and noticed that two different strings were used! Bg 65 was used as the cross (horizontal) and the bg 80 was used as the main (vertical). SO on to the question, what is the point in using this stringing method? Will it affect my performance, racket construction, etc.

please respond!
    thanks mucho ;D

2. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    IMO bg 65 and bg 80 don't match that well. bg 65 loses tension way faster than the bg 80.

3. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    Even though the bg 65 has 2 lbs extra it'll lose more tension than the bg 80

4. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

I would say the stringer ran out of BG80 mid job. So he used BG65 for the crosses hoping you would not notice. Also possibly he may have done it deliberately to save a few pennies because BG80 is more expensive.

In terms of usefulness of hybrid strings, I don't believe they are very useful. If you have friends who are easily impressed, perhaps you can show them the hybrid. But the novelty value wears off quickly.

If the goal of your stringer was to improve durability, he should have used the BG65 for the mains as more often than not the breakage is on the mains. As he didn't do that, I would speculate he just did whatever was necessary to finish the string job and got it out of the way.

The hydrid string is unlikely to affect your racket. But the feel of the string is likely to be different than what you had before.

#4 CoolDoo6, Jan 16, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2007
  5. Shocker85

Shocker85 Regular Member

The store had a plentiful amount of BG80s as I saw them with my own eyes. You did mention about the stringer just doing whatever neccessary to finish the job and I totally agree with you on that. Just kinda sucks that I got jipped off for the amount of money I've spent for the service +strings ($25.00) :(

6. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    How about going back to the store and just tell them to restring with BG80, free of course. You may also want to tell them off about unauthorised use of BG65. Stand up for your rights.

7. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    Ouch 25$, did you happen to get it strung at Badminton Alley or UBC. I think that they sometimes have newbie stringers so maybe that is where the mistake came from.

8. Shocker85

Shocker85 Regular Member

taneepak - Yeah you are right. That's just down right unfair for someone to do that to their customer. So much for reputation.

Dummey - Got my racket strung at this place called ASBY. They specialize everything from tennis, soccer, badminton, ect. The badminton veterans who originally owned the store are no longer there (some of the greatest stringers out there also)...or that's what I heard. Maybe it was some noob who did my strings. Maybe I can get some pictures up so you guys can evaulate his stringing job.

www.asby.com

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I agree.

You definitely should go back to the store, and ask for a re-string and explaination. I just hope it's an honest mistake, but not some business person trying to save several pennies. :cool:

10. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    Yupp go back and ask for a re-string. And you also got ripped off too.

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    dont let them tell u the mix up hybrid is 'better'. U deserve what u asked and paid for. It is a very unethical practice of them. I wouldnt go back there after the fix up.

12. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

The only time stringer use hybrid string is for durability reason. If the player asked and specific say he/she always break cross, then BG80 main and BG65 cross is OK. If the player always break main, then it should been BG65 main and BG80 cross. If you pay for BG80 without special request, you should get BG80 main and cross. Take it back to have it restrung for free.

13. Shocker85

Shocker85 Regular Member

Got my racket restrung for free. The lady who took my stringing order wrote down the wrong info I requested which confused the stringer...so I suppose that was the problem. He even strung another racket for me (AT 800) as an apology. Solution solved.
    thank you everyone for the support! =]