Outdoor court surface

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by rwg05, Jan 20, 2007.

1. rwg05

rwg05 Regular Member

I'm setting up an outdoor badminton court in my building compound. I want to know what a suitable (and cheap) surface would be. The land has a slight gradient that will be needed to be straightened out.
    I zeroed in on tar and concrete because its possible that cars may also park on the badminton court area when no one is playing.
    I'm looking at the court as an area where I can primarily practice my footwork (about 2-3 times a week) because where I usually go to play is too far away to go 5-6 times a week. However, for the rest of the residents of the building its going to be mainly used for recreational purposes.

2. jcr2001

jcr2001 Regular Member

Student
    Perhaps concrete instead of tar? You won't want rocks and stones to make you trip, or cut you.

3. Lobber

Lobber Regular Member

tar is bad for drills and shadow
    If you ever fail,you will have hard time recovering.
    Not to mention it is bad for your badminton shoes unless you can afford to change a new pair every month.

I think using those synethic tiles or plain concrete will be better.

4. morewood

morewood Regular Member

Depends how dry the area your in is. Grass would be good, Clay would be OK, Astro Turff would be good if your in a rainy area. Concrete is bad on your joints and could cause water to pool as would tarmac.

5. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    I definitely agree. A 'yard' kind of area would be very diverse, offer parking if absolutely necessary, and be versatile so that people could enjoy it with a variety of sports. Perhaps even include a few trees off of the main surface, and you'll have yourself a wonderful little piece of greenspace.

6. rwg05

rwg05 Regular Member

thanks for the advice everyone...Astro Turf would have been perfect, but it may be too expensive - though I still have to check the price here.Are synthetic tiles cheaper? And does concrete also wear out your shoes?just wondering, what are the characteristics of a material that doesn't affect your joints?

7. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    It needs to have a high level of elasticity, which allows for impact absorption. You could probably get some sort of rubber synthetic polymer, as well... however, the 'grippiness' of such floors can lead to injuries. Lots of gyms of schools without the money to buy wood flooring use them,t hough.