How long can a server be set before serving?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by tubby, Jan 23, 2007.

1. tubby

tubby Regular Member

I've have searched on this topic, but there are so many topics about the serve it was impossible to get an answer.

I was playing a doubles match the other night and an opponent would set himself ready to serve i.e. standing in position with the racquet and shuttle positioned as if he was about to serve. He would then wait anything up to 10 seconds before serving it. He would also vary the amount time so it wasnt consistent.

Is this allowed?

I am happy that he could vary the amount of time he was set before serving, but by that much? I would have thought that about 5 seconds would be the maximum otherwise it is unreasonable delay.

I couldnt see it refered to specifically in the rules.

2. madbad

madbad Regular Member

I don't really know the answer but once you get uncomfortable waiting, stick your hand up and call for time. With this repeated action, it should send him a message to "move it"

3. pwakankar

pwakankar Regular Member

I don't think there is a rule on how quickly you have to serve once you are in position to serve.

I would say your opponent is smart in that he is varying the amount of time he is making you wait so you are off balance.

4. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    This is the best I could find:

9.1.1 neither side shall cause undue delay to the delivery of the service once server and receiver have taken up their respective positions;

9.2 If a service is not correct by virtue of any of Laws 9.1.1 to 9.1.8, it shall be a 'fault' (Law 13) by the offending side.

16.7 A player shall not:
    16.7.1 deliberately cause delay in or suspension of play;

So basically, if there's no umpire, you're out of luck.

5. Avatar

Smash down all clears!
    according to my club's tournament rule. the birdie must served within 5 seconds after the server's post is properly setup. i m not sure if this is international officiality, but that's what we go by.

6. leo29

leo29 Regular Member

I have come across this situation many a time and you are allowed 30 seconds before serving the shuttlecock. although not used to its full potential, it can be a good tactic against impatient opposition.

IBF rules state that 30 seconds is allowed.

7. song.exe

song.exe Regular Member

30 seconds? o_O That's REALLLY long.

When do they count the time by? When the serving side recieves the shuttle, or when both players are set up in their positions?

8. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    I don't believe that's applicable once serving position has been assumed, though.

9. Lobber

Lobber Regular Member

You can delay in service for quite some time before service as long as there no call by umpire to serve.
    It actually quite a tactic against opponent well prepared,waiting for them to turn impatient.

10. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    It's a tatic, but I believe we are talking about a club enviroment, which would mean it is delaying the game and causing the court to be used longer then needed. I also personally believe that if you need to resort to abuse of rules to win, then it's not really a win. 5 secs is long enough, no need to delay something for 30 secs waiting for the oponent to nod off from boredom.

11. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Best answer - with no appointed arbiter in place, nobody can enforce anything.

12. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    A man here at our club used to compete internationally back in the 70's says that you have 30 sec by the time the shuttle hits the floor. So you by the time the shuttle hits the ground, there's 30 sec and it have to be played again. But I don't think they really use this rule anymore.