Defensive racquet, Ti-7 3U or Ti SP SR

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by joseph, Oct 15, 2001.

1. joseph

joseph Guest

Can someone help me chose a defensive racquet? My main racquet right now is Ti-10 3U, and have MP77 2U as a back up. I'm now looking for a defensive racquet strictly for playing against the better players, who will force me into lots of desperate situations. I'm looking for a highly maneuverable and head light racquet, yet, not too weak, with very good control. I narrowed down my choices to Ti-7 3U or Ti SP SR. Anyone has suggestions to which I should get? or would anyone suggest other racquets? and, is Ti SP more generally more fragile than Ti-7 3U? Thanx lots for responses!

2. aaron

aaron Guest

i think that the ti sr is best for defense 'cause it's a very well balance racquet. also the head of the ti sr is very light. i have one myself so. but i personally like the mp100. i have all of the racquets but the ti 7. but i sugest if u like head light go with the ti sr.

3. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

I think Iso 900 Sr is the best that u can get in terms of reflex and ability to hit! I think it is stiff enough to smash hard!

4. joseph

joseph Guest

i've tried iso900 before... it is a good racquet; but i keep hearing that it's noticeably more head heavy than ti sp. i'm not too concerned with power... if i want power, i'll just use my ti10. and it's getting harder and harder to find a iso900 now, cuz it's been out of production. but is iso900 more durable than ti sp?

5. joseph

joseph Guest

yes, ti sp sr is very head light, but isn't ti7 also very head light? i have been told by some that ti7 is just as headlight as ti sp, and have more power... but others have told me that ti sp is more of a power racquet, and ti7 is a control racquet. i already have a smashing wonder in my ti10, and now want one that's extremely maneuverable, and have good control. in a sense, a racquet to play a heavy tactical match, with no concern with power.

6. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student
    if you are strictly want my opinion on the 2 rackets, i would prefer TI SP SR... i tried ti7 (2u) and i dun find it impressive... but the TI SP!!! it's good for dropshots and lobs from back to back. but smashing is crappy..

dun believe the "swing power technology" mumbo jumbo... i feel no difference

on the other hand, if you dun mind other rackets, try slim10 or mp100 with a very thick grip to make it sort of head light... =)

hope this helps

7. Fructus

Fructus Guest

Why a new racquet? Why not just get better with what you have?

8. joseph

joseph Guest

cuz, no matter how much better i get, there'll always be better players, who will put me into many desperate situations, and force me to receive thundering smashes. in such case, a defensive and maneuverable racquet will be more beneficial.

9. joseph

joseph Guest

thanx IRIS! so far, ti sp sr sounds like a better fit for me... for this racquet, i'm not concerned with power at all. when i want power, i'll just use my ti10. since i already have an offensive racquet in a ti10, i don't think i'd be interested in mp100... and i'm one of the few who hates thick grips. my preference is G4 with only 1 layer of overgrip. as for slim 10... i doubt i'd be able to find one.

10. Fructus

Fructus Guest

There will always be better players out there. The more of them you face, the more you learn about them and most of all, the more you learn about yourself. Besides, a new racquet will just put your game in jeopardy since you'd have to re-adjust.

11. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student
    welcum =)

12. joseph

joseph Guest

yeah, you're right fructus. but i might consider permantly switching to a defensive racquet, so i wouldn't mind going through the adjustment period. most players i chose to play against are quite good. because of that, i don't often get the opportunity to smash, thus using a power racquet doesn't seem to make much sense. those players force me to rely on a tactical game. also, i'm one of those who are obsessed about racquets. i might actually be more interested in badminton racquets than the sport itself!