Ahh this shin pain.......

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by devendragupta00, Jan 24, 2007.

1. devendragupta00

devendragupta00 Regular Member

student
    i have been havin pain in my shin bone for ovr quite some time...
    i even consulted docs....
    had ct scan xray blah blah....
    lotz of exercises were told....
    i agree d pain has reduced but it jst does not goes away..
    if i practise for ovr 2 weeks the pain becomes unbearable...
    i suppose its not an uncommon injury...
    plz help me out....

2. devendragupta00

student
    i forgot to tell u the results of my tests...
    they were all normal...'
    it also said i had a remarkable ankle joint...
    doc said to me it wud have been better if something wud have come out on the ct scan...i mean a stress fracture or a ligament tear.....
    wel i wait fr the grr888.. players n coaches to reply..

3. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    Note: I am not a doctor nor a qualified person to really comment about the medical side of this. Here is what I've found through my experience, nothing more.

I went to your profile and checked your age... since you're 19, and stress fracture or ligament problems have already been ruled out, I'm going to bank on shin splints.

Here's the deal with shin splints:

Essentially, your bones have lengthened before your muscles do, and in an effort to rectify the problems created by this, your leg muscles and stretching out and literally tearing off of the bone. The pain itself comes from the tearing of the casing or sheath of the muscle, but that's neither here nor there.

Shin splints is common, especially in jumping and explosive sports. The absorption of impact is what causes the tearing away, and is especially bad in runners, basketball players, and (from subjective experience) badminton players. I had them for three years and they were excruciating.

Sometimes it occurs in one leg, sometimes in both. Unfortunately, there's not much you can do, except grow out of them. Here are some treatments you can do to minimize the pain in the meantime:

1. Buy shin compressors... they're basically like a one-piece tensor bandage that you put over your lower leg. Alternately, you can tape your shins and it'll do the same thing, providing you use the proper technique.
    2. Ice, all the time. If you can, get two big buckets, and fill one with ice water and one with hot water. Alternatingly treat your shin(s) with hot and cold, about ten minutes each bucket, while watching an hour of TV or something.
    3. Ensure that it is not caused by your shoes or foot configuration. In my case, it wasn't traditional shin splints but a tibial stress syndrome resembling shin splints, that originated because I have flat feet and pronate. Getting orthotics to correct the pressure conducted by my feet really, really help. A physiotherapist or athletic therapist can do this for you.
    4. Take time off if they are very bad.
    5. If not too bad, you can reduce the inflammation and alleviate the pain with Advil or another ibuprofin... but ensure never to take more than two every three hours and no more than six a day unless recommended by a doctor.
    6. Engage in active recovery. If you have access to a wobble board, squats and balances on that will help work your stabilizing muscles and take some of the pressure off of your calves. Again, you should see an athletic therapist or physiotherapist for the specifics.

Good luck, I can empathise with you... shin splints is common, but absolutely excruciating and debilitating. I hope your recovery is very quick!

4. alvinlai

alvinlai Regular Member

Legal Counsel
    I had the same injury if not similar. However, My x-rays and MRI scan reveals that I had stress fractures on both my shin bones. I bumped my shins too hard, chipped a little but continued training putting stress on my shins resulting fractures. Nothing to be dine but to rest. But you might be suffering from just shin splints as westwood point out. See a physiotherapist if you're worried still. Get well soon.

5. Glencoclub-Nick

Glencoclub-Nick Regular Member

I had the same problem a while ago, and getting custom fit orthotics was the solution for me.

6. the_oro

the_oro Regular Member

pretty boring profile -_-
    i had the same thing too, lasted a pretty long time but it eventually went away on its own... maybe you should take a few weeks rest

7. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    I personally wear the orthotics --custom fit of course for badminton. Yes they are quite expenisve ranging fomr 200-300 dollars in canadian. Althought I have never had this pain I know those orthotics helps to support your arch. Well it basically braces you feet lol braces on your teeth. Trying to make it a normal arch and elimating pressure points.

8. westwood_13

Student
    Yeah, mine were $200 and $50 every two or three years for refurbishments. But WELL worth the money.

9. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    I've run into shin splits quite often during XC. My solution was to get inserts in my shoes and to replace them when the heel became uneven due to wear. Another major thing was change in my running style. I assume that these can be translated to badminton. Shoes of course is an important part of the game and proper inserts can help a lot in preventing shin splits. Another thing to look out for is footwork and using it to avoid stomping and other things that put undue aggrivation. Also always remember to stretch, Not sure if this is helpful directly, but better flexibility as a while means that strain is shared better throughout the body.

10. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    Yup!! but for me you have to pay the full price for everytime you get a new one. I think I need a new one soon..my feet probably have grown a bit since last time I purchased them.

11. devendragupta00

student
    thanks to all of u for ur valuable guidance..
    but i din get exactly wat does orthotics --custom fit of course for badminton means n hw to obtain them..
    i am already using arch supports in my shoes..

12. westwood_13

Student
    Custom orthotics, you'll need to see a physiotherapist or athletic therapist and they'll determine if you need to be outfitted for them.