What String Do you use? Why?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Byro-Nenium, Oct 17, 2001.

1. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I have recently restrung my 3 favourite rackets with BG-66 at 23x24lbs from the previous BG-65. I restrung my Ti-10, Slim-10 and MP100 with BG-66 and i find it to be not as good as i expected.

I borrowed a friend's MP77 and it was excellent with the BG-66 at 23x24lbs but i found that the BG-66 on my own rackets disappointing, not because they weren't good enough, but because they weren't as good as i had expected.

I'm going to get used to the BG-66 and use this string now instead of the BG-65.

What strings do you people use and why?

2. AF

AF Guest

Racquets
    HiQua Slim10, Yonex Cab 8TI Limited

Tournament
    Feather - Gosen Tec Gut Tour or Gosen Alan & Susi String1

Club
    Feather - Ashaway Microlegend
    Nylon - Gosen Hy-Sheep or Ashawy Rally 22

Never ever fancied Yonex strings, grew up using Hy-Sheep for everything, still do, but running out, got a reel of Rally22 to use once my Hy-Sheep is all gone. Have to move to more current strings, hahaha.

AF

3. Lao Liu

Lao Liu Guest

I am trying out several combinations BG66/MP100, 68Ti/SP Ti, BG80/MP100, 65 Ti/Ti 10, all in 23/24lbs. Will try 68Ti/Ti 10, BG85/Ti 10/MP100 and 70pro/MP100. So far, I have got an impression that BG80 is slightly more preferrable than BG66 on MP100. Apparently they have different structures. Ti strings are no good on slim rackets, such as SPti SS/SA and perhaps slim 10, the impact feels very hard but you do have the speed on shuttles.

4. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    If you love the feel of the BG-80 on MP-100, you'll love the BG-85 even better. But durability may be an issue.

5. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

Bg 65, Bg 65 titanium or Bg 66. Depends on how cash rich i am on that date! If i am going to be cash rich then I would buy Bg 66 and i will snap it in like abt a month of hard hitting baddy.

Bg 65 . Bg 65 titanium will come for a longer time!

I love only white color adn I stopped Bg 65 titanium as Only black is available in Bg Titanium!

6. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I used the BG-65 for a long time, don't you find that the tension drops very quickly?

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Last w/end, I was playing a singles tournament and in the finals, two of my racquets had the strings snap. The part where it snaps is near the centre (both racquets). Luckily, I still had another two spare racquets in the bag.

The string was....BG 85. It's gonna be replaced with BG80.

8. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    Check your grommets. They may have been damaged and are cutting into the strings. I hardly ever get string snaps over the years. It has happend only twice when the strings were really badly battered and fraying like someone's bad hair day ...

9. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

Byro,

U were spot on! The string tends to lose tension very Quickly! What to do. It lasts a long time though!

I kind of string it every 1.5 months or as soon as the string loses tension!

I guess it is pretty costly affiar even though strings + stringing would just be 5Sg!

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I have replaced grommets on the racquets even before this incident.
    The point where the strings snapped were not close to the frame. It is conceivable that the stringing process may have weakened the string.

11. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    They probably did not put enough wax during the waxing process.

12. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    BG70pro, BG80, BG85 & last, but not least, BG88Ti.
    I will be trying BG75ti once I can pick some up, or import them.
    It just happened when I tried all these strings out, I liked them a lot, and most of the above mentioned have the oval braided fibre designs; except the BG85s, which I'm thinking about switching, just to use the 80s instead... I get nice feel from the 85s, but my own touch, isn't quite as nice, and I honestly cant seem to get the same pop off the 85s, as I really liked with either 88,80, or 70s. Out of all of them I really like the 88s, because they combine both durability for me, along with control, touch, and feel. Although they still do remain a bit pricey on the market... not really any huge price difference between the 85s, so I will stop using these ones, once my last set busts apart on me.
    -Kelvin