Tension on rackets

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Byro-Nenium, Oct 18, 2001.

1. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I just restrung 3 of my rackets with BG-66 at 23x24lbs.

And it seems to me that the Ti-10 lost more tension than the other 2. I checked this by hitting the racket strings against my hand. And the sound produced by the Ti-10 is lower...........

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    When I have had two racquets of the same model restrung at the same time with the same stringer, one always sounds a little different. This happened with my ProKennex and cab 22. Probably gonna happen with my cab20 as well.
    Why's that so?

3. Don

Don Regular Member

Possibly strings have different "stretchability" properties.

4. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

This has happened so many times to me that i think it also depends on the racket!

I dunno but i can find no reason or explanation for all this!

It is just that u feel sad when ur Best racket loses tension faster than the back up rackets!

5. kaushik

kaushik Regular Member

Hi,
    iam not sure how to explain this. well, my friend who strings told me that it depends on how high you pull or the angle at which you pull.Frankly i did not get his statement. i will check it out and post another message. iam saying this becoz,according to his statement if u assume that there is another factor other than just the measurement say 23 lbs or 24 lbs that influences the tension, it is understandable why tension feels different even if u use same strings, same model rackets, same stringer,same machine and same tension.

the jist of this is : After stringing is the final tension on the racket the same as we
    intended to have at the first instance ?(obviously rackets lose tension over a period of time .. say even 24 hours which is not my contention).

is there any way u can measure the tension of a strung racket? Feeling does not say anything?

6. Robert

Robert Guest

Lower end stringing machines which use a drop weight rely on the expertise of the stringer to get even tension on each pull. When you pull the string you have to clamp off and pull again if you don't get the distance right for the weight to go to the exact position. This is why many rackets strung on these machines quickly lose tension - the stringer in order to save time (or being lazy) does not pull the lever to the correct position resulting in uneven tension across the string bed. Electric stringers which use a straight timed pull will ensure the most acurate and even tension across the string bed. Also other factors such as pre stretching depending on the type of string will influence how fast the racket loses tension.

7. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    Its dependent on the design of the racket as well when you feel 'perceived' drop in tension between different rackets. There is actually NO DIFFERENCE in tension between the 3 rackets Byron was talking about unless of course some have been played more than others.

The thing is, the Ti-10, like other full-fledged Isometric head rackets have a larger playing surface. Hence, compared to say a traditional oval, which has a smaller area. Even if the tensions are the same, the Ti-10 will feel somewhat softer due to the large trampoline effect of the larger surface. Hence, it feels 'softer'.

Its just perception, not a reality.

8. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I thought about the large surface area thing but it seems that the tension is really different. When i hit it against my hand you can hear the difference. Also, the 3 rackets that i restrung are all isometric head shaped rackets. And i used the Ti-10 the least! wierdly enough, it sounds like its lost the most tension.......

9. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    Are you a racquet stringer by chance? Just wondering...

I'd hardly call a $700US drop weight racquet stringing machine low end there. :lol:
    I know many people including myself stringing with drop weight machines, and we do not "lose tension fast" from our stringing on our machines. I've seen racquets strung with the crank machines, as well as the electronic stringing machines; and none were able to match the job done by either my fellow stringers, or even my own, and I'm just a beginner!! :eek:

Drop weight machines have constant pull tensioning, as CAN electronic machines. I admit the electronic machines are much faster and more convenient for mass quantity string jobs, no contest on that there, but even so, a "low end" crank tensioning machine will match the speed of the e-machines anyday.

I guess I don't really want to get drawn into a discussion about which type of stringing machine is better, because that's absolutely futile.... no better than quarreling about what racquet is the "best" and all that crap.

However, I just thought I would add my two cents, and comment on what you had to add there. I am by no means a "certified stringer." I was taught, and also given tips from many people, and adapted my own techniques, for use on my own equipment. It's nice to hear opinions of others about which type of machine people should string with though... and the "pros" and "cons" of each.
    -Kelvin

10. Robert

Robert Guest

Low end and high end is subjective, a 700 US$ machine could be considered low end when compared to a 2000 US$ electronic machine. My main point is that on a drop weight machine if you don't pull the lever level to the ground while clamping with a fixed clamp you will not get the same tension on each pull resulting in uneven tension that will eventually loosen. Most table top drop weight machines get the job done - but can't compare in "accuracy" to a calibrated electronic machine.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Did u get that last line from "Matrix"?

:)