Badminton Anime Series

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by ferza_0083, Jan 28, 2007.

1. ferza_0083

ferza_0083 New Member

I guess all the badminton players and manga/anime lovers must have heard of the badminton related manga called "Smash" or something...

Personally I am quite shocked that someone has already tried to write a manga abt badminton (I thought I was gonna be the first >.<) But having said that this manga series is no where near as successful as other anime/manga such as: Naruto or Bleach or even comparing against other sport related series such as: Captain Tsubasa, Eyeshield 21 or Prince of Tennis...

I am a manga and anime lover...played badminton for 10 years but not very good at it...BUT I have a dream that one day of becoming an animation producer...I have started writing a story about an anime based on badminton and also developed many characters...but yet incompleted...

I want to hear all your badminton experience so i can put it into my creation...also some fancy technique names like for example: "blazing forehand" or whatever...hehehe

This anime is gonna be like prince of tennis x slam dunk x everyone's badminton experience, adventure and stories!

YES, I am crazy and i know all these stuff that i am doing prolly wont make it on the big screen or the screen at home...but I guess its just me...and i am planning a trip to Japan to try my luck at the end of 2007...So is there anyone out there who is as crazy or as compassionated as me?

P.S. Any good manga drawers pls contact me...i cant draw well...=P

2. mettayogi

mettayogi Regular Member

Smash! - The Manga

Do a search, and you'll see the Manga Smash! is being translated into English for download, see this thread.

I don't know there are badminton comic books until I come to BC.

3. dreamshuttler

dreamshuttler Regular Member

cool moves to add to your anime

o_O, how cool is that, doing an anime on badminton... well, ill try to articulate the weirdest backhand smash ive ever seen in my entire life, though I think it'll be hard to do without actually seeing it... ok, so here I am, playing doubles with a former top-player in my country (o_O just by luck, I assure you), and well, to get to the point, he was politely letting me hit the birdies... though, we were on our way to losing to the other doubles team because I kept missing I was so nervous! :p (Ha, not to mention I was sooo the weakest player on our team, so our opponents pertinently took advantage of that haha) And, behold, comes out his super-whammo backhand technique that was so super-whammo the all the courts went deadly *silent*:eek: ... okay, so here the best rendition of this weird move... Centre court, mens doubles on the other side... the man on our right-hand side does a bad cross-court return, hits it too high over the net and it's making its way to the side tramlines just behind my partner's racquet. And all of a sudden, my partner does this ... thing... he... steps forward slightly with his left foot, pushes off with his right foot, makes a 360 degree revolution in the air, and brings the racquet down on a weird kind of backhand smash that makes a gunshot sound!!! and, totally obliterates our bird. :cool: *silence* Our opponents just stood there gaping for awhile before they got their composition back, while I was trying to act like I'd seen that move before LOL :D . Needless to say he scared them silly and we won:rolleyes:

4. hybridragon

hybridragon Regular Member

Student
    Actually I would prefer something closer to Hajime no Ippo than Prince of tennis. Sure you could incorportate tactics, trick shots, etc, but please, make it realistic if you planning to do produce something of this sort. Prince of Tennis was entertaining, but doesn't do tennis justice. All the shots are too unreal.

5. treilanin

treilanin Regular Member

Yeah I found Prince of Tennis to be entertaining but totally rediculous. The special trick shots really took away from the series imho. As for mangas wasn't there another Badminton Manga by the name Yamato No Hime or something like that? I was interested in seeing that translated as well :). But like all mangas, I am afraid that it will have Prince of Tennis style of shot selection.

6. the_oro

the_oro Regular Member

pretty boring profile -_-
    here's my story :p

i started in gr 11 (16 yrs old, i'm in gr 12 now and am 17) and joined the school team just to get a yearbook pic. after seeing how bad i was i started to take lessons. by the end of this season i was pretty good at doubles.

sitting in the school cafe i was with 3 of my friends, one being a pretty good filmographer (is that a word?), another just a friend and the third happened to be the school's best singles player :cool:

i told him, that i just started playing the game (it's only been 2-3 months since i began) and that in one year, i'll be even better than him. he felt so cocky at this point, he wanted to make a bet - we even made a contract on the filmographer's school agenda. the contract says that in 1 year's time, we'll play a singles match and the winner will have proved superior skill over the loser and that the defeated will then have to forfeit $50 to the winner.

the contract was made on June 2, 2006, so we still have another 5-6 months before we have to play each other but i believe i'm good enough to beat him now... lol so in your story you can put that he realized this and we both start training our asses off trying to be better than the other (we're not really 'enemies' but more like friendly rivals, like naruto and sasuke)

there's also other pretty good singles players at my school so you can show how your protagonist (notice how i switched from 'me' to 'protagonist' ~ this stuff hasn't happened yet) beat every one of them

badminton season's about to come back again so that'll end in a tournament, first regional, then provincial. but that'll end before my match with the school's best...

you're on your own if you want to make a romance side-story, because that one's mine!

crazy technique names
    protagonist - oblivion (unreturnable smash ~ ideally, it's supposed to break the opponent's strings if they actually contact the shuttle..)
    - sugoi (smash to the edges, first one, then the other)
    antagonist - old faithful (deceptive cross-drop when he's in trouble)

the filmographer's going to be filming the match when it happens and the other friend's going to make this event into something like the Badminton Chronicles (if anyone's seen that yet)

#6 the_oro, Jan 30, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2007
  7. virtualkidneys!

virtualkidneys! Regular Member

yuck! i hate anime! ruins badminton !

8. Bobatea

Bobatea Regular Member

A badminton anime may actually not be that far off. It's still a minor sport, but Shiota/Ogura are supposed to be in a commercial promoting a sports drink. The cm is supposed to have started airing from about a month ago, but my friends and I have yet to see it. I think it's just because it's so hard to watch tv in the evening... other things to do you know :p . But this is showing that there is progress in promoting the sport. The manga 'Smash' is the first mainstream manga for badminton, and I personally like it. A few weeks after the thomas cup a special on Shiota/Ogura was shown at midnight for 30 min on NHK about the sport of badminton. Another showed up a few months later after the Asian Games talking a little about the history of Shiota/Ogura. They are badminton's speakers here in Japan.

9. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    In my opinion, is nicely directed badminton anime series could just be the turning point for the sport, SlamDunk has influenced many to take up basketball. IF they can do something as good or better, it might just boost badminton's popularity

10. Bobatea

Bobatea Regular Member

True, since anime does appeal to the audience. The only issue I see is that it will most likely turn into a prince of tennis thing with moves that are impossible coming out. If Smash is turned into an anime, it will follow the manga for the most part, but the anime could change and do it's own thing along the way, or even the manga may change as time goes on and become more like prince of tennis in order to appeal to the crowd. Another thing is there are so many different anime that air that it'll be hard for the funding to air it during a time when most people watch. That's why a lot of anime is actually aired after 10 PM and well into the night because of all the open tv air space available.

Sorry for sounding negative. Just looking at it from what I've seen. But yes, it will boost the popularity. The manga is always the first step. Before we know it, we may see the anime come out :rolleyes: . If I hear anything about it, I'll be sure to let you know :p .