baffled abt grip

Discussion in 'Grip' started by |R|S, Oct 21, 2001.

1. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student
    i own a mp77 and i took out the original grip and replaced it with pacific smash grip and a thin overgrip. i find that the weight is fine but its too small for my hands, so i added another not so thin overgrip. and the racket became very heavy!!

y is that so??

i thought the thicker and heavier the grip is, the racket willl feel lighter isntead as the balance point is changed...

2. kaushik

kaushik Regular Member

hi,
    how do u expect a racket to feel light when you put a heavier grip.when u put thicker or heavier grips the "net weight of the racket" is going up.Only the balance is shifted so u do not feel the weight on the head.

3. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student
    that is wat i mean...

but in this instance, the racket feels heavier! it is as if the racket becomes head heavy!

4. modious

modious Regular Member

Frankly speaking, I've no idea because the racket head should feel lighter!!
    But what you're saying is that it feels heavier rite??

5. Tony Halim

Tony Halim Guest

Hey |R|S!
    Whatever feels good to you.... just do it!
    If making your grip as thick as a baseball bat makes it feel lighter to you.... then do it.
    I personally have given up trying to figure out these things eg grip sizes, string tension, racket balance etc etc. : )
    That's why all my 3 rackets have different grips, grip sizes, strings and string tension.
    They each feel great to me anyways and I can use any one and still play to my best ability.
    Moral of the story: Stick to what feels good to you.

6. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student
    hmm....
    what you say does make sense, but still, i want to know how come this is happening... just curious =)

7. ptang777

ptang777 Regular Member

Maybe the new grip is lighter than the original grip. Therefore the head will feel heavier. Some grips even though being thicker could be lighter.