clubs that set up games for you?

Discussion in 'Canada East' started by jsunsun, Jan 30, 2007.

1. jsunsun

jsunsun Regular Member

I've tried out many clubs and personally, I find ones that are most fun are ones that actually set up game for the members according to skill level. I'm sure many will share the same sentiment.

However, seems like these types of clubs are quite rare now. Does anyone know where these types of clubs are in GTA?

Otherwise, when you have to set up your own games, often players simply rally in half courts since players skill levels don't match, or have matches that are lob sided which often are no fun for both the beginners and advanced.

2. GunBlade008

GunBlade008 Regular Member

Student, Retail.
    The only club that I've experienced this is Woodbridge badminton club, located at Highway 7 and Bruce street. They rank players according to skill by colour, red being high level players, yellow for intermidiate players, green for novice players and blue for fun/beginner players. They set up games for you, set up your partners and are really well organized. The club's info can be found on the Ontario badminton Association website.

3. GunBlade008

GunBlade008 Regular Member

Student, Retail.
  4. jsunsun

jsunsun Regular Member

5. chessymonkey

chessymonkey Regular Member

comp tech
    well this system can work automatically as long as
    1: everyone gets a colored tag accordnig to skill lvl
    2: the club run a board with court # on it where peopel hang their tag
    under the court # to get "in line" for the next opening
    3: people actually hang their tag according to skill color

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I suppose the "assign game" system ONLY works well if:

1. Have a designated manager (or small group of managers) willing (or get paid) to do the job. You know, it's hard to make eveyrone happy, regardless how hard you try.

2. The main member base should be stable. If you have a high volume of "walk-ins" then, it's hard to rank or even the player.

3. Should have reasonable court time for everyone. With very limited court time, ppl will start to complain about the quality and the quantity of the games.

Therefore, the system is not always a perfect choice, and also adding up operating cost. :cool:

7. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    The Univeristy Of Waterloo Badminton Club uses the system that was described by chessymonkey and LB. When i was a student, this system worked terrificly. I believe it worked because:
    a) we had volunteers (executives) set up the games (i was a volunteer)...
    b) those volunteers also knew most of the members allowing them to setup up balanced, competitive and fun games
    c) there was a large member base with a sufficient number of players for each skill level.

This system wouldn't work too well in smaller clubs. The same people play each other over and over again. Personally i like to have a little variety in the people I play to keep me sharp. I don't know if you noticed this but I tend to find many cliques at badminton clubs. It's hard to get good games especially if you're new, because many like to play with ppl they are familiar with. For example, i had to improve and get better in order for other members to invite me to join in on their games (this isn't necessarily a bad thing though).

Important advice: If you're goin to a new club...it helps an awful lot if you know at least one individual that could help set some games up for you. It's a lot more difficult when you go on your own.

8. chessymonkey

chessymonkey Regular Member

comp tech
    hehe yah Darth join me and my slow game nxt time i see u in GB

9. jsunsun

jsunsun Regular Member

This system can work well. The UofT club does this, and players levels are ranked using colour coding, and play on time-based rotations, so most people get competitive games and equal playing time.

In smaller clubs does suck to always play to same people, but sometimes sucks even more when there is a large gap in player levels.

10. jayda

jayda Regular Member

Have you tried this one?
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/beaverbadminton/
    Beaver Badminton Club
    90 Bur Oak Drive (Kennedy & 16 th)
    Markham, Ont.