ESPN's Ranking of Sports by Degree Of Difficulty

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Eurasian =--(O), Jan 31, 2007.

1. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sportSkills

I don't agree with a lot of this. Its biased. Their panel of experts is two people who have played / coached a total of 5 sports. All 5 of those sports make it in the top 15. Both 'experts' are white from western culture.... I can't believe they would actually publish something like that without a huge study. The numbers seem arbitrary. It says you need more endurance to figure skate, field hockey, basketball, ice hockey than badminton. Unless they actually test the athletes how would they know. I'm going to send them an email....

#1 Eurasian =--(O), Jan 31, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  2. george333

george333 Regular Member

Associate Director
    Toatally wrong, how does fishing make that list? Sure you got to sit there, if anything, fishing is a test of patience

3. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Yeah, it does seem kinda silly. Having a "durability" rating automatically moves contact-sports well up against non-contact sports.

The "nerve" rating? Do technical/artistic and combat sports really deserve their own special "skill quality" to boost them above other sports?

Basically, if they wanted to have a few specialized abilities in there, they should have a more comprehensive list, otherwise they should stick to a more basic evaluation. Also, should the different qualities be summed using a weighting system? It all goes to show that you can't really compare sports analytically along such a broad scope.

4. Eurasian =--(O)

Economically speaking

Assigning arbitrary numbers to something unquantifible doesn't make it quantifiable. How do you compare skill to athletic ability. Does strength = endruance = durability = flexibility = power = speed = nerve = analytical ability = hand eye? No way!

Most ridiculous ranking system ever.

#4 Eurasian =--(O), Jan 31, 2007
  5. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Nice find :) . Don't think the panel is 2 people though but you have to login to see the rest. Endurance and nerve are underrated for badminton imo, but icehockey, fig. skating and fieldhockey definitely require alot of endurance, probably more so than badminton and I'd rate basketball equal. Is futsal on the list? Should be high on endurance.
    And fyi george: fishing is last on the list as least difficult :D

Anyway go here to vote yourself: http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/polling?event_id=695

Just read there are 8 panelists ...

ENDURANCE: The ability to continue to perform a skill or action for long periods of time. Example: Lance Armstrong
    STRENGTH: The ability to produce force. Example: NFL linebackers.
    POWER: The ability to produce strength in the shortest possible time. Example: Barry Bonds.
    SPEED: The ability to move quickly. Example: Marion Jones, Maurice Green.
    AGILITY: The ability to change direction quickly. Example: Derek Jeter, Mia Hamm.
    FLEXIBILITY: The ability to stretch the joints across a large range of motion. Example: Gymnasts, divers.
    NERVE: The ability to overcome fear. Example: High-board divers, race-car drivers, ski jumpers.
    DURABILITY: The ability to withstand physical punishment over a long period of time. Example: NBA/NHL players.
    HAND-EYE COORDINATION: The ability to react quickly to sensory perception. Example: A hitter reacting to a breaking pitch; a drag racer timing acceleration to the green light.
    ANALYTIC APTITUDE: The ability to evaluate and react appropriately to strategic situations. Example: Joe Montana reading a defense; basketball point guard on a fast break.

Going by these explanations power should be higher, hand-eye should be in the 9's. Nerve shouldn't be lower than track sprinting.
    Conclusion: baseball is overrated :p

#5 demolidor, Jan 31, 2007
  6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    fishing should be given more credit on the "Nerves" category, only if you are fishing Piranhas, that is.. haha.

7. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Did anyone mention fishing for Great White and hunting down Moby ****? :D

8. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Brian Jordan, expert #2, must've been in the sun too long then ;) This has more to do with (north) american sports culture than anything else ...

And as long as one doesn't fall asleep while fishing for piranhas no worries :D .

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    totally. Endurance for baseball is 4.63? what kinda of endurance? enduring their backside getting too sore coz they have been sitting on the sidebench for too long??

10. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

Let's not get upset guys, they must have confused the list with the popularity of sports in USA. Boxing, basketball, football, ice hockey?? Even baseball is higher ranked then soccer.

LOL

11. Eurasian =--(O)

Western doesn't mean you have to be white

12. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

:D And the poll agrees:

3) Which of these sports in Page 2's top 10 is least difficult?

33.1% Baseball
    19.8% Tennis
    14.5% Soccer
    14.0% Basketball
    4.3% Martial arts
    4.0% Football
    3.5% Wrestling
    2.9% Gymnastics
    2.6% Boxing
    1.3% Ice hockey

Just quoting your own words ... but good for clearing up.

13. AMRaider

AMRaider Regular Member

Yea.. I think their ratings are way off. I have played/practiced about 1/3 of their top 30 and badminton is definitely the most physically and mentally taxing. For me, anyway :p .

14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    wasn't this topic was brought up in another thread before?

15. Crazypeetee246

Crazypeetee246 Regular Member

We should take into consideration that as badminton players, we're just as biased as they are :p .

I will comment on what I have experience in/knowledge of.
    33.1% Baseball - Baseball players do not get as much athletic credit as they deserve. I am willing to bet that most people in the world can't even hit a baseball. Considering two key positions, the pitcher and the catcher, baseball is just as "difficult" as any other sport. Throwing pitches at 100 mph is a feat on its own, but doing that 100 times a game and aiming them with such accuracy is amazing. I can only imagine what the catcher has to go through...squatting throughout the whole game.
    19.8% Tennis - People need to pick up a racquet and try it for themselves before saying anything. Tennis is much like badminton...too many people see the "backyard" version of it everyday. Retired people do not represent the majority of tennis players in the world.
    14.0% Basketball - Endurance...skill...athleticism...Although I may be describing the players themselves, and some may argue that it has nothing to do with the "difficulty" of the game...but the players ARE the game.

I really don't think anybody should judge any sport at all in "difficulty" order. Why can't this world just accept all sports for what they are...and not what they THINK the image is.

The "panel" IS biased, we are biased, everyone is biased.

BTW I am definitely not downplaying the "difficulty" of badminton.

16. IvanM

IvanM Regular Member

What the heck is this
    I do Auto-Racing myself and i think that if Auto-Racing is Given a NERVE Score of 9.88
    then Badminton should be around 7 or sth

17. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    hahahahhahaha, lmao, lacrosse over badminton, hahahaha. i wouldn't get too fired up over this, to me, it's like a joke. besides, swimming is really hard and it's down bottom. oh well

18. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    lacross isn't an easy sport either...

But this has been posted before and the general consensus was that its 100% garbage. How did they come up with those precise numbers? - -

19. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    wow totally biase, that funy actually, you can't rate a sport on how hard it is, my god, if ur over weight and out of shape any sport can be hard, ridiculous really

20. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    wow ok i just voted and the last question is imposible to anwser, lol think of badminton the whole time and WTF tennis is last that is absolute BS baseball is in the middle? like u fat bias idiots